Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > disk cataloging software?

disk cataloging software?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2008, 09:26 AM

Hi All,

I'm an event photographer and I produce a few hundred thousand photos a year (large images in RAW format). I also want to archive lots of other stuff off my machines, and this takes space. My need has outstripped DVDs, and I'm now using large SATA hard drives to archive my work (I've got a great single-drive enclosure from "Wiebetech" which allows me to insert drives like big floppies, no screws/trays needed). They're big, and hold _lots_ of stuff, too much for me to list on a label or some such.

I need a good program that will catalog the contents of these offline disks for me, any suggestions? I'm hoping for something that offers a good search function (while the disk is offline), something akin to spotlight for offline drives. It'd be good to have something from a reputable developer, last time I used a cataloger like this (about 15 years ago or so, to catalog archived CDs), it was dropped and became unusable due to OS upgrades (or was it processor? Not sure, long time ago!).

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Chas

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2008, 02:06 PM

ls for indexing andgrep for searching those indexes.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2008, 02:10 PM

Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of un*x utils. It's been ages since I messed with grep, I think in this case I'm going to look for something with a gui (though ls and grep certainly aren't going to go away :-)

Thanks for the suggestion though, much appreciated.

Chas

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2008, 02:19 PM

I think that both Adobe's LightRoom and Apple's Aperture have features where you can store your raw images on external media and have a catalog (including at least thumbnails) on your main drive. But I don't use either, so can't speak to how effective they might be.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2008, 02:22 PM

Hi larkost,

It's kind of you to suggest them, but I'm looking for software that will catalog the entire contents of a hard disk, allowing me to search when it's offline like I'd use spotlight to search when they are online.

When it comes to just photos, I happen to use Aperture. It's very good with offline photos :-)

Cheers!

Chas

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2008, 07:23 AM

CDFinder? I only use it for optical discs, but it should also work for HDDs. While the UI isn't very nice, I like the fact that it can and does index files inside ZIP archives.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2008, 09:13 AM

Hi workerbee,

Many thanks for that, looks like it'll do what I need. I've also been pointed to "DiskCatalogMaker", a similar app that comes with an install of Toast.

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules