Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Screensaver issue with large iPhoto library

Screensaver issue with large iPhoto library
Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 05:24 AM

Hi, I want to use the random photo screensaver to show random photos of my entire iPhoto library. I have a fairly large photo library (10k), and whenever I set the option to use a random mode (as opposed to sequencial) the harddrive thrashes a lot without doing anything when testing the screensaver.

Note: It works instantly in sequencial mode.

It seems to me its trying to search through all the photos or something? But it should be really efficient. Pick a random photo (random(10000)), display it, pick another random photo, etc.

Edit: This is using a dual G5 2Ghz with 1GB of RAM.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 01:57 PM

But that's not how randomization works, because you don't want any picture (or song, in a music player) to be repeated before all the others have been through once. So what happens is that all the images are randomized at once, creating a randomized playlist, basically.

tooki

Xtraz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 02:36 PM

Good point. But then wouldn't it simply be a hash (or array) of references to the files, and then randomizing the order of the content? Surely an algorithm of that sort does not cause any long delay or excessive hard drive usage. (I mean, the iPhoto database should have references to all the file names anyway)

Forum Links
Forum Rules