Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PM 8500 G4 Upgrade Compatible with OS X Server

PM 8500 G4 Upgrade Compatible with OS X Server
PynApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 01:05 AM

I have a PowerMac 8500 and I am thinking about upgrading it to a G4 400 or 450 with a Sonnet Upgrade. I want to make it a webserver. Does anyone know if the upgrade will be compatible with OS X Server?

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2001, 10:43 PM

No.

Allah
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2001, 10:16 PM

jarends gave you the short answer and it is correct. But there are people out there with upgrades that enjoy getting their upgraded machines running OSs they weren't meant to run. Look around for sites that discuss modifications on machines like yours.

------------------
Carp� Bandwidth
Carp� Bandwidth

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2001, 11:00 PM

I have an old Quadra 700 set up as a web server using apple's personal web hsaring, and it works jsut fine. For soemthign more advanced, try Quid Pro Quo or whatever its called. That is if you decided against X server

------------------
Make Money With Your Macintosh!

PynApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 12:03 AM

I am not really deadset on OS X Server. I am open to whatever will work. I don't want to spend too much on something that won't work with what I have. Eventually I will buy newer hardware, but for now I have to work with what I've got.

At the moment I am researching WebStar 4D. It sounds pretty good, but there is no info on their site that mentions anything about compatibility with upgrade cards.

I have never heard of Quid Pro Quo but I will definately check it out. Thanks for the info.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 01:59 PM

Hi PynApple :-),
OS X server wouldn't be a good fit for your machine, but since you would like a stable webserver... your machine would be upgradeable with a G4 card and could run OS X... just check to see which vendors have certified thier cards for OS X and you should be fine. OS X has a great web and FTP server built in. OS X uses Apache web server http://httpd.apache.org , which is a very robust solution. (not to mention OS X is much cheaper and easier to use than OS X Server).
best of luck and let us know how you proceed.
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules