Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Access control for my 11 year old

Access control for my 11 year old
jdbrandt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 03:29 PM

Is anyone aware of software with which I could set access rules for my son's use of his iMac? I'd like to be able to set things up so that I could define rules (i.e., 1 hour per evening on school nights, 3 hours per day on weekends) and he would need to log on through this at startup and adhere to the access rules his parents set up. Freeware, shareware or commercial software would be fine. Any suggestions? (I'm running 9.2.2 on his iMac; if there is a better OS X solution, I'll add RAM and upgrade his machine).

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2002, 08:25 PM

I think the most effective method of access control is giving him other, interesting activities like team sports to do during the weekends and his free time during the weekdays. Don't worry. Soon enough, he'll have homework to take every last second of his time on the weekdays and a considerable amount of his time on the weekends.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no program that exists with the features you want. Limiting access like that could detract from the time he has to type up schoolwork.

mindwaves
Mar 18, 2002, 10:18 AM

There is no sofware which I know of which I can do just that; hoever, turning on Mac OS 9's multiuer program will do everything else tat you asked. It is built in also, just go to Control panels->Multiuser or something like that so he even has to log in first if you like.

Forum Links
Forum Rules