Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Having a hard time deciding

Having a hard time deciding
tyrelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 10:11 PM

I'm about to become a switcher on Sunday morning...I'm so excited. The last time I used an apple was back in High school in 8th grade...it was just your normal keyboarding class.

My compaq laptop died on me one day after the anniversary date...I had it for 1 year. After it had been to the repair shop 4 times in one year...I knew that it was going to go eventually.

So I was looking at buying a dell and something hit me...I want an apple. Sooo..here I am. I've been lurking for about a week and I'm ready to buy tomorrow.

I'm having a hard to deciding which system I would like. 12 or 15. I've read the pros and cons but still am wanting a little more info before I purchase tomorrow morning.

The 12 is nice and small but the screen size bothers me a little. I'm a student and I do a little web design and am always working on presentations, spreadsheets, and etc.

The 15 is nice with the big screen and all and the 1GHz. I'm not sure about the superdrive (recording time 1x) But I guess I can leave with that.

Is there something else that I am missing other than the obvious about these two systems?

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2003, 10:16 PM

The only thing I would tell you is that the new 15 incher will be coming out in a few weeks time. It will have many of the cool features that the 17 incher has. Waiting might keep you from having buyers remorse. Unless of course you decide on the 12er, in which case, go for it.

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by jtbowden:
The only thing I would tell you is that the new 15 incher will be coming out in a few weeks time. It will have many of the cool features that the 17 incher has. Waiting might keep you from having buyers remorse. Unless of course you decide on the 12er, in which case, go for it.
That's true..talking about buyers remorse big time. I guess I can do without a laptop for a few more weeks. I dunno. I like everything about the 12 just the screen sizes...I guess I could buy an external monitor for my room to solve that problem.

It looks like i'll have to buy a new all in one printer as well because the one I have now doesn't work on the apple. This is a big move for me...still excited still.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 10:22 PM

None of us really know (sean withstanding) if their really will be a 15" upgrade. I think it is likely, but maybe they just keep a 12 and 17. It is March 15, set a limit for yourself to wait out the possible 15" revision, and if it passes buy whatever you like. If I were you, and if you can afford to wait, my limit would be Cinco de Mayo. Buy whatever you want on that date and have a margarita to celebrate!

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 05:49 PM

I just placed my order for the 12"Pbook..i'm very excited..this is my first apple ever. The last time i worked on was was back in 8th grade..some 8 plus years ago.

Though the excitement i forgot to upgrade my hardrive...dang it...i'll have to call the rep back.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by jtbowden:
Just a quick note --The advice above is very incorrect --the new 15.4 will be out this summer --not in few weeks --

The way I see it is that you have 2 good choices: 1) buy the new 17" if you like the size and specs or 2) save some cash and pick up a cheap 15.2 (like the 1 month old im currently using) on ebay when people try and unload to get the new 17" either way you will be satisfied -this machine Im using right now is awesome and I expect the new 17" too be the same.
'

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 07:11 PM

I woulda' gone with the 1 GHz TiBook. My friend has one and is very happy with it (except for some MAYA problems). Power and a huge screen. Its beautiful. But good luck with your 12", you'll certainly have a better time lugging it around than I with my 17"! I'm a switcher too (whenever the 17 comes in the mail). Here's to a better computer life.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Laauuren
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by tyrelle:
I just placed my order for the 12"Pbook..i'm very excited..this is my first apple ever. The last time i worked on was was back in 8th grade..some 8 plus years ago.

Though the excitement i forgot to upgrade my hardrive...dang it...i'll have to call the rep back.
I got it about 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier with my decision. I was using a G3 tower before and a 15'' VAIO laptop. When it completely died, I decided to go for a Mac. I liked XP, but I like OSX even better. I also love the battery life and low weight of the 12''. The smaller screen does not bother me at all. Good choice.
Smile. It will make people wonder what you're thinking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules