Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > playfair strips iTMS DRM

playfair strips iTMS DRM (Page 2)
Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 08:10 PM

OK, last night I was doing a ton of conversions and at the end it said that it couldn't find my DRM key but it had been working the whole time before that (~30 min) and nothing had changed except for getting this error. I was tired so I went to bed. Now, today, the same thing happens and I even uninstalled and reinstalled playfair to see if that was the issue and still no go. Anyone know about this? Very frustrating....

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

qyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Mobile Mod:
OK, last night I was doing a ton of conversions and at the end it said that it couldn't find my DRM key but it had been working the whole time before that (~30 min) and nothing had changed except for getting this error. I was tired so I went to bed. Now, today, the same thing happens and I even uninstalled and reinstalled playfair to see if that was the issue and still no go. Anyone know about this? Very frustrating....
I kept getting the "can't find DRM key" error too. I solved it by copying one of the songs to my iPod. I had to copy one song that I had downloaded around the same time since apparently the key changes over time. (So i ended up having to copy three songs total to resolve all errors.)

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 10:10 PM

I just loaded the songs that I bought tonight on the iPod and then unplugged and replugged it and it still mounts but playfair STILL gives the error! Urg, oh so frustrating. Still says cant find the DRM key and I copied the entire cd to my ipod and it plays on there but PF wont convert 'em. Anymore ideas?

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 12:02 PM

The India link seems to be down. Can anyone post an updated mirror?

Thanks.
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2004, 09:16 AM

I tried this app last night...and it worked great...what I did was to pass the .m4p (purchesed file) to a quicktime movie .mov and them used an audio convetor (I don't remember the name of the app) to convert it to an .mp3 so I can play it on iTunes and on my iPod. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2004, 09:28 AM

...oh also I have like a ton of songs that I want to comvert (for my personal use, so I can play them at work on a CD without authorizing the PC at work) Is there a way to do this faster and not one by one?

Thanks

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 06:47 PM

BEWARE, if you upgrade itunes and qt 6.5.1 for windows, vlc will no longer play your protected files, hence it will not generate a key for you.

I'm not sure if the ipod trick still works though. It worked on a album I bought with the new itunes and copied over to my ipod, using my laptop to decrypt- which HAS NOT been updated to qt 6.5.1 and iTunes 4.5.

I'm also scared to update my iPod firmware...

Anybody tried?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 28, 2004, 09:06 PM

Hahahahaha....suckers.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 06:28 PM

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 09:01 AM

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 11:16 AM

Hey there,
Out of curiosity... does the new "Hymn" work once one has installed iTunes 4.5? I've read that iTunes 4.5 disabled PlayFair (a.k.a. Hymn).

See ya,
BD

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 12:15 PM

you read wrong. it works.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:
does the new "Hymn" work once one has installed iTunes 4.5?
Probably, since it has been updated with the latest FairPlay code from VLC.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 03:38 PM

Its back all right. And it is really fast. I thought there was an error, literally I clicked convertm and it was done. 1GHz 12" PBook.

Fully functional, full ID3 tags, no DRM. Any bets on how long this cat and mouse game will work????

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 03:55 PM

I use the slimp3 player. It is a pain in the ass to have to convert purchased iTunes files to mp3 format (resulting in a lower quality file) in order for the slimp3 to be able them.

If I use the hymn software, does it create a new and separate file and keep the original? I'd hate to have new releases of iTunes software make it so the hymn files won't play. Maybe before I use the hymn sofware, I should duplicate the entire iTunes folder.

Any thoughts?

lw

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 03:58 PM

It leaves the original, and makes an m4a duplicate in the same folder.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

mbordas
May 11, 2004, 10:36 PM

has anyone else noticed that the new playfair/hymn leaves your account name in the tags. in itunes do a get info on the converted file, my email is still there. the old playfair/itunes 4.2 my email was removed.
im not sure this is necessarily a bad thing, however for those of you intending to share your music on p2p networks might want to think twice.
i also wonder if this is a function of hymn or the new fairplay

G-Force
May 12, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by mbordas:
has anyone else noticed that the new playfair/hymn leaves your account name in the tags. in itunes do a get info on the converted file, my email is still there. the old playfair/itunes 4.2 my email was removed.
im not sure this is necessarily a bad thing, however for those of you intending to share your music on p2p networks might want to think twice.
i also wonder if this is a function of hymn or the new fairplay
Yes this feature is intentional to show that hymm isn't about piracy, it's about fair use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules