Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Printing Word docs problem

Printing Word docs problem
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2005, 02:52 PM

For some reason, when printing MS Word docs (and only when printing Word docs - everything else prints fine) from my 1 GHz iBook G4, my HP 5650 printer will only print one page at a time. For example, a 10 pg doc I will have to command to print 10 times, selecting the first page, then the second page, and so on. If I send the whole doc it just prints the first page and stops.

Has anyone ever encountered this or have any idea how to fix it? I tried re-loading the print driver to no avail.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 07:58 PM

Have you double checked all the settings when you go to print? Make sure it's set to print pages "All" or "1-10" (for your example)? If it's only in Word it seems likely it's a setting somewhere. You could try trashing the preferences too.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2005, 08:35 PM

Exact same problem with an HP LJ 1200. I believe it's a memory limitation on the printer, but I haven't confirmed it. I have absolutely no troubles printing on a Xerox color laser printer that's also on my network.
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
Have you double checked all the settings when you go to print? Make sure it's set to print pages "All" or "1-10" (for your example)? If it's only in Word it seems likely it's a setting somewhere. You could try trashing the preferences too.
I've doublechecked the settings but haven't trashed the preferences. Not sure I even know how to do that...

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2005, 03:49 PM

Wrote to HP w/the problem. Here's what they said:

"This issue is usually the result of incorrectly configured page setup settings. Ensure that you have correctly configured the document's page setup by following these steps:

1. Open a document that you wish to print.
2. Select Page Setup from the File menu. This will open the page setup dialog box.
3. Locate the Format For option and make sure it is set to Deskjet 5600. Leaving this item set to Any Printer may be the cause of the issue being currently experienced.
4. Click OK to save the settings.
5. Print the document.

Once successfully configured, all pages of the document should print. You may need to follow these same steps for all previously-created documents."

These steps didn't actually work until I also changed the Paper Size from "Untitled" to "US Letter". Now it prints the whole document - but I can't get it to print in reverse order, even though it is set to do so in Word preferences. Odd little bugger.

Forum Links
Forum Rules