Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod software version 1.2 -- where?

iPod software version 1.2 -- where?
SomeToast
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 03:27 PM

The screenshots of iTunes 7's iPod management showed the connected iPod at version 1.2.

Games from the ITMS say they need iPod software version 1.2.

iTunes 7 says a software update is required for my iPod to support games.

iTunes 7 also says that my iPod (with software version 1.1.2) is up to date and the "Update" button is dimmed.

Whaaaaa?

The old iPod software update link( http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/ ) just fobs you off to an iTunes 7 download page now.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 03:55 PM

hmm must be in the process of updating. I tried to add all the games (for the low low price of "free" apparently), but they "mysteriously" disappeared after adding to my cart.

I'd give it a little while.

ryanbrown345
Sep 12, 2006, 04:02 PM

it looks like itunes now is in control of the software update. Such as

iTunes 7 makes it one-click easy to update the software on your iPod. iTunes keeps your iPod up to date by notifying you when a new update is ready. The built-in summary page in iTunes shows you full stats for your iPod, and if you’re software’s out of date, you can click once to update it. You can even restore your iPod to its original settings with one click.

I don't have my 5g ipod with me but I will later tonight. I hope that they update the original 5g ipod owners, and not make 1.2 available only for the new updated ipods. keep us posted.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:10 PM

I'm quite anxious to know how the previous 5G iPods will handle the new video specs from the iTunes Store after the software upgrade to 1.2. Will they be able to play 640x480? Will it output to TV?
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 05:08 PM

They always could play 640x480 (in mp4 format anyway), and they could always play those out to TV.

I'm sure it will play H.264 640x480. Well, almost...

Changing the subject, has anyone successfully downloaded a game and got it to work? I tried adding all, but it registers as "free" and won't do anything. Haven't tried to buy a single one yet.

SomeToast  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 05:13 PM

Selecting "Check for updates" from the iTunes menu caused the update to show (why just plugging in the iPod didn't...)

Of course now, post update, the iPod says "Do not disconnect" but doesn't appear in iTunes or the Finder (listed as a drive in Disk Utility, though).

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 05:13 PM

I just plugged mine in, and it detected and installed the 1.2 update.

Maybe you jumped the gun a little ?

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 05:16 PM

I'm just about to test some 640*480 h.264 on my 5G iPod 1.2. It was limited to 320*240 (well 76,800 pixels) before so it'll be interesting to see.

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 05:26 PM

Ok, I encoded a chapter off of my Scrubs DVD at 640*480 h.264 baseline profile at 800kbps with handbrake. 2 things; firstly it didn't transfer on my updated to 1.2 5G iPod and secondly the tagging in iTunes is VASTLY superior. Selecting "TV Show" actually works and has custom tags depending on what movie format you choose.

SomeToast  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Maybe you jumped the gun a little ?
The update was there, I ran it.

I'll probably just wipe the iPod after I get it home tonight.

8minute
Sep 12, 2006, 10:19 PM

I've run the updated but I can't find the new Search function anywhere (although the Brightness option is there)

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2006, 11:31 PM

no search function too. limited to new 80GB & 30GB only?
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

porieux
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 03:51 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:22 AM. )

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 04:25 AM

Same here, where is "Search"? I looked under Music like what they show on the webpage, not there.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 08:42 AM

I'm quite certain the search feature is for 6G only.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 05:52 AM

Try quickly scrolling down your artists or songs list - a large letter pops up in the centre of the screen. This on an 'old' 5G iPod with 1.2

vapspwi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 08:01 AM

I was confused by this at first, too. If you don't have "automatically check for updates" enabled in iTunes, you have to manually select "Check for updates" to make it download the 1.2 update.

Installing it seemed to take a long time, and the iPod didn't show back up in iTunes (despite being in the dock) for a minute or so, but it worked eventually. It was nice not to have to take the 5G off the dock and plug it up to AC power like I used to have to do with my old 4G.

I thought the new search capability would be added (it's apparently a menu under "Music," which I learned after digging around on the Apple site a LOT), but it's not - that's only in the NEW 5G iPods. You do get the big letter overlaid on the screen as you scroll on an old 5G (which seems kinda useless to me), and the old 5G supports games (I tried out Bejeweled).

JRjr

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 02:06 PM

One thing that I'm sure has changed since the old software is that now when it's connected to my Mac the backlight on the iPod screen never turns off. Before it used to completely go off so when it was connected at night I couldn't see it; now it's just dimmed to what seems like it's lowest setting but that's enough for it to stand out in a pitch black room.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 07:36 PM

Having the search would be nice, but I'm happy with getting gapless playback in the update.

Originally Posted by dazzla
One thing that I'm sure has changed since the old software is that now when it's connected to my Mac the backlight on the iPod screen never turns off. Before it used to completely go off so when it was connected at night I couldn't see it; now it's just dimmed to what seems like it's lowest setting but that's enough for it to stand out in a pitch black room.
My backlight is staying on as well. The backlight itself doesn't annoy me, but if I happen to be charging it off of the computer, having the backlight on will surely slow the charging speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules