Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes sucks!!!

iTunes sucks!!!
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2001, 08:30 PM

I'm so friggin pissed right now!!! I started up iTunes, and started playing my Master Playlist. A playlist of about 2000 songs. I noticed the num lock button's light was on, so i hit it to turn it off. Looks like numlock doulbes as clear, and not only did I shut the light off in the button, but my Master Playlist was DELETED!!!! There was no undo, and a force quit couldn't "catch it before it saved". Now I got about a week's worth of work putting my master playlist back together!!!! This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2001, 08:37 PM

Ummm, I hate to say this because I do things like that all the time, but:
Back-up, Back-up, Back-up... Anything I spend 2 weeks on, I would backup...

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2001, 08:45 PM

Well yeah my photoshop project that takes me two weeks, i'll back up. But you really wouldn't think it would be necessary to back up your iTunes playlists!! If they didn't make the number lock key function as a delet key at the same time, that would also solve the problem!

theone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2001, 10:20 AM

How exactly do you back up your itunes playlists? I am not talking about the Library list but if you select "Add New Play List" from the file menu...how do you save those? Worked on mine for about 3 hours yesterday and I am not even close to being finished....l008com sorry to here about that!!
theone

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2001, 10:59 AM

If there was a way, I could tell you, but the best way to deal with a problem like this one is to organize your mp3 files on your computer (in the same folder or so) so you can load them all back on at once.

ALSO, if you try installing iTunes again, since the program checks for mp3 files the first time you run it, it will prompt you to go search for every playable sound file on your computer. Clicking "yes" will allow iTunes to get all of those files that you wanted to get back on iTunes so desperately. However, this works on the first run only, I'm afraid.

At least you're only talking about a master playlist, not a bunch of sub-playlists, because those would be much harder to get back up, unless you created a different folder for each of those playlists, and loaded all of those mp3 files into the playlist at a time.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

theone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2001, 12:01 PM

Thanks Jansar. Thats what I am attempting to do...making a playlist for each Group like one for Def Leppard one for AC/DC...etc. Its a little more time consuming than I thought it would be! I would hate to lose all that work but oh well its something to do! What I am so afraid of is one day I will want to clear a playlist and click yes when itunes asks do you want to delet these to the trash and not realize that I did it and then empty the trash!!! Very scary...dont understand why Apple would even make that an option. iTunes could use a much better export function!! Anyways Take it easy!
theone

<notloggedin>
Dec 7, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by theone:
<STRONG>Thanks Jansar. Thats what I am attempting to do...making a playlist for each Group like one for Def Leppard one for AC/DC...etc. Its a little more time consuming than I thought it would be! I would hate to lose all that work but oh well its something to do! What I am so afraid of is one day I will want to clear a playlist and click yes when itunes asks do you want to delet these to the trash and not realize that I did it and then empty the trash!!! Very scary...dont understand why Apple would even make that an option. iTunes could use a much better export function!! Anyways Take it easy!</STRONG>

click the browse button, then you can go straight to everything "def leppard" or "ac/dc", etc. i thought itunes sucked until i pressed the browse button in the library section. :-D

theone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2001, 12:59 PM

Never thought of that! duhhhh....I will try it when I get home. Thanks for the info
theone

marusin
Senior User
Dec 7, 2001, 02:09 PM

if you have a mp3 folder (with multiple folders underneath it), just drag that folder onto your library and all the files will copy back to the master playlist.. I do that after I've downloaded a bunch of songs so I don't have to manually add them one by one..

it will not duplicate songs that are already there..

-mike

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 02:46 PM

right... and btw: i found out that adding folders (even w/ subfolders) is drastically faster than adding multiple file selections.

but i guess you all know that already.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

roksob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 03:29 AM

I'm still puzzled. Can you actually save a sub-playlist other than "library"? I have set up lots of these only to have them disappear at random. Sound Jam used to let you save them directly. It's not obvious in iTunes. I am using v 2.0.1.

otis52
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2001, 03:46 AM

Yo, I don't have 2,000 songs But I'm pushin a thousand and all my shiznit has been organized since day 1&gt;&gt;album&gt;&gt;artist&gt;&gt;song&gt;&gt;pl aytime.No problems. Granted It's hard to get into the habit of being orginized but it is deffinately worth it. It's only taken me 5yrs to do so....
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 02:30 AM

Has anyone tested to see if the sub-lists are saved in the prefference file in the system folder? If they are not then they must be included in the Library File. It seems like an easy task to me to back both of these up.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 12:53 PM

iTunes library (and playlists) are saved in the iTunes folder in your Documents folder under "iTunes library". In iTunes2 there are actually two different docs there with similar names, not sure what each is for. In any event, I know they are saved because I spend time in both Mac os 9 and X and when I make changes in one (say 9) I just drag the newest library docs to the other's (X) and done.

Now, the very first time you delete any kind of a playlist iTunes kindly asks you if you really wanna "do this" and if you ever wanna see that warning again. The same thing happens when you first delete a song. I chose not to see the song warning again but I kept the playlist one so I wouldn't have to deal with something like this.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Forum Links
Forum Rules