Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Photo still available?

iPod Photo still available?
Cloud
Jan 12, 2007, 08:35 PM

Can anyone tell me of a site or store (Toronto) that I can purchase a new iPod photo? I don't want to get a video because I'd have to change the itrip ($70) and rubberize case ($35).

I like the photo the way it is for now and don't want to have to change all my accessories again.

If you list a site please make sure its trustworthy.

Thanks

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2007, 11:46 PM

The iPod with video is so much better it's not even funny... What do you have now?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 12:15 AM

a week ago i got one off the apple refurb store for our store. they still show up there from time to time. within the last month i bought two of them off ebay for my personal use. i agree that the video is better, but not for all people. in my case all i wanted was an ipod (music player) that would work with 10.2.8 and 10.3.9, would work with itunes 6, and would sync with firewire. i don't have usb 2.0.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 12:42 AM

Well, you will reach a point where you WILL have to replace those accessories and get a newer iPod. But otherwise, just peruse e-bay.

Or, if you happen to go to Tokyo ever, there are stores in the Akihabara district that have iPods of all generations. Yes, they stockpile them.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 01:55 AM

that's depressing. if i outlive my ipods i certainly don't look forward to hitching a ride to tokyo and back. anyway cloud's reasons for wanting an ipod photo are a little different than mine but that's what he wants nonetheless. good ones are out there, just not on store shelves.

p.s. i ordered a copy of toast 7 today before they all dry up. will i ever learn?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2007, 05:11 AM

I'm with gooser...watch the Apple refurbs. Apart from that, it would be pretty tough to find a new 4G.

Cloud  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 02:27 AM

I have the iPod photo. I personally like it better than the video for now.

All i use it for is i my car and maybe on the subway but mostly my car. The itrip sits so nicely on the top of my photo instead at the bottom like the nanos and videos. I really really really hate that itrip that sits on the bottom. the iTrip at the top is perfect because I can still charge my battery at the same time with my car charger. See another good reason.

I have a nice rubberized case that protects it from everything. I don't currently need all the features the video carries (ironic coming from me). When I'm in my car is music through the iTrip and that's it.

Geez its tough to find one of these babies.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 02:30 AM

Well, you should be able to get a good deal on eBay as long as you don't insist on a new one. If it has to be new, it'll be tricky.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 14, 2007, 02:53 AM

You can get a dock connector replicator, extended battery, and FM transmitter all-in-one for Nanos and iPods with video. Battery-Biz.com

I do see why you wouldn't want to gt a 5G, but it is still inevitable.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2007, 03:39 AM

well i certainly understand. he says he wants it to play music. do the newest ones play music any better?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 14, 2007, 03:53 AM

Indeed, they don't play music better. But eitherways, ebay is probably the means with the highest chance of finding a photo.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 04:55 AM

Actually I think the new models are said to have better sound quality, not to mention things like gapless playback and the like.

Cloud  (op)
Jan 15, 2007, 12:18 AM

Can anyone verify if PDASmart .com is a good and trustworthy site?

I found a replacement battery by fluke.... but I hope its a good one.

Cart

BTW this is what my ipod looks l like and when its charging... when its in my car is so convenient. Hence why i want to keep the iTrip on top.

Forum Links
Forum Rules