Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Illustrator 10 is here!

Illustrator 10 is here!
pscates
Nov 5, 2001, 06:00 PM

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 06:43 PM

yay. now I get to go through every single font subfolder I have and move every one of my couple thousand fonts individually to my library/fonts folder. Wee. Oh yeah, now I have to deal with the fonts pallet. weee.. I'm overjoyed...really.

heh, you can't please everybody...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
<STRONG>yay. now I get to go through every single font subfolder I have and move every one of my couple thousand fonts individually to my library/fonts folder. Wee. Oh yeah, now I have to deal with the fonts pallet. weee.. I'm overjoyed...really.

heh, you can't please everybody... </STRONG>
Okay, so here's a real life problem. Illustrator is set to run natively in OS X, but there's no font utilites, yet. If I open a font is Sutcase 10 in Classic mode, is that font available only to Classic applications, or will Illustrator running in O X be able to use the font?

Not to mention printer drivers for my imagesetter.... (oops, I did mention it) I need to be able to print film directly from Illustrator.

Looks like I could be stuck with classic for a while to come.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 11:55 AM

Open the font in suitcase classic and yes, its only available to classic programs. And, I don't recall seeing drivers for the image setter when i was poking around...

Nick

mchladek
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 02:36 PM

Other than the problem mentioned above regarding fonts, how is Illustrator? Has anyone used it extensively yet? Any major/minor bugs? How's its implementation of Aqua? What are the pros and cons of it? Thanks in advance.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 02:38 PM

Other than the problem mentioned above regarding fonts, how is Illustrator? Has anyone used it extensively yet? Any major/minor bugs? How's its implementation of Aqua? What are the pros and cons of it? Thanks in advance.

pscates  (op)
Nov 9, 2001, 09:01 PM

It's pretty cool, I have to say. The Aqua part is very nice and they re-worked the toolbox icons a bit (which took a little getting used to), but now they look a little more elegant and not so pixelated/clunky.

They're actually in shades of gray, then when you hover over them with your mouse, they turn to color. A guess a neat little visual cue, along with the little pop up "tool tips" thing to tell you what tool you're choosing.

They've reworked the menus to put things in more logicial places, like the "Select" submenu (previously located under the "Edit" menu) is now it's own menu.

Here are a couple more screenshots:

Creating a new document
You can set your measurement type from here from the get-go. Kinda nice.

And some new warp/distortion tools and commands

Actually, I love it. The pen tool, for some reason, seems really responsive and snappy. It always was, in my opinion, but now even more so. The lines you draw just seem to pop into place so much quicker. Hard to explain, but I noticed it right away.

It's just a nice overall improvement. Structually, Adobe simplified and consolidated some things and it just feels nice and solid.

I don't have a printer here at home, so I can't speak to issues involving that.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 02:32 PM

Illustrator 10:

two words: FUXING FAST.

This bad chicken hauls buns all over illustrator 9. Interface wise, the icons look a little more refined, than the pixely look used previously. The rollover greyscale-to-color effect is sweet. The beta I used so long ago was still a little rough around the edges but it had alot of potential.

Here are some random screenshots:
Adobe still keeps its humor with its option-cmd-about illustrator easter egg.

more svg interactivity made easier

nice icons... colored rollovers are a good thing

built in work group server interfacing!

general work area

Overall it looks like it has alot of potential and I can wai? for this months macmall to come in so I can order it.

Nick

pscates  (op)
Nov 12, 2001, 04:43 PM

Are you on a 17" Studio Display, Nick? Is that what 1280x1024 looks like with Illustrator? Man, I need to fling off this 800x600 bullcrap.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 07:54 PM

Nah, II'm on my BELOVED pair of 19" sony trinitrons (the cool silver ones). Both running at 1280. for the love of god man, don't tell me you are designing at 800x600! get with the tiiiiimmmeeesss mof foooo

Nick

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 07:57 PM

just a few shortcomings notes about illustrator:

32 character filename limit

no sheets support

more to come

Nick

stitzlein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2001, 12:27 PM

bump.

thanks for the reports nick! what else have you learned in the past week? my main concern is speed, the adobe forums are full of people moaning about the sluggishness of ai10 in osx.1.1

what's that theme you are running, its looks great!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2001, 04:03 PM

I'm lovin illustrator 10 under x.1.1

The Combo of Suitcase 10.1 is making my designing life under X easier. Granted Suitcase 10.1 sucks, but hey, it activates and deactivates so i can't be picky.

The only issues I've found with Illustrator are:

Dragging and panning using the space-bar is slow. Using the naviagator pallet is faster.

Copy and pasting to flash 5 in classic is a pain in the arse. it makes everything very jaggy if the file from illustrator is in 10.0 format. if you are working in 10.0 but on a 9.x file, copy and pasteing works fine. I guess its just a matter of waiting for flash to be updated.

Illustrator 10.0 is FAST. Opening files, interface wise, running filters, etc. are all at cruise missile speeds.

I haven't played with the envelope distort thingie really but it looks like it has potential.

SVG is *really* looking like a viable alternative to flash. All it needs now is a good animation tool and it could give flash a run for its money.

here is an effects full shot, ALL VECTORS just done straight in illustrator in about 2 seconds. no masking or anything. SVG gaussian blurs, SVG woodgrain, envelope distort on the gradient.

Looks good.

Nick

stitzlein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2001, 07:45 PM

thanks for the reply nick, that's good news indeed. for reference, what is your setup? g3 or g4?

also, what is that theme you are running?

thanks!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2001, 01:02 PM

Using the Iridium theme, on a dual G4 500 gig-o-ram. OSX 10.1.1

Nick

ford prefect
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 01:38 AM

There's kind of a catch 22 in all of this. Software companies don't want to develop new stuff because sales could be slow because so many people haven't even booted to X, but the same time one of the main reasons people don't use X is because of software limitations.

I guess I just have to have patience. Why can't I have patience RIGHT NOW?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules