Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Graphic Costume gets student suspended

Graphic Costume gets student suspended
hmurchison2001
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 08:57 PM

http://aa.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/...1ab1cost01.frm

This is wrong in my opinion. I agree with the Deans decision to make the Student take off the costume during school but to suspend the student for donning the outfit for a contest is reprehensible. Frankly I have issues when someone feels "demeaned" over why "I" consider trivial things. It should take alot more than a silly outfit to demean and individual.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Nov 5, 2001, 09:07 PM

I really wish there was a Pic posted of that costume

That's some funny **** .

Mike

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2001, 09:14 PM

There's a story at the local college that some guy dressed up as a squid for halloween, and everyone thought he was... um...

True story!

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>I really wish there was a Pic posted of that costume

That's some funny **** .

Mike</STRONG>
You know I found it odd that a pic wasn't offered. I find it strange that some school districts have the gall to want to teach my child about Human sexuality ..yet still have issues when it's not in their control.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2001, 09:51 PM

"It's anatomically correct," Silbereis said, lifting up the cape to reveal a T-shirt bearing a rendering of a fetus.
Utterly Brilliant.

Mac The Fork
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2001, 10:03 PM

Kids have been told time and time again: don't go to school wearing your mom's vagina suit. I'm glad those in charge have the guts to crack down on such hooligans.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]

pscates
Nov 5, 2001, 10:04 PM

Utterly stupid and tacky. Man...just no sense of...well, ANYTHING anymore, is there?

They've should've suspended him just for being that tacky and moronic to actually try it. And then they should've thrown a small beating on him, just on principle.

We're a tacky little society, aren't we?

Whatever you do, DO NOT come to school with a Confederate flag on your jacket or notebook. BUT you want to show up decked out as a 5' ***** ? Well, by all, you little social commentator, you! You're absolutely ****ing brilliant and a master of true, hard-hitting wit. They'll write books about you!

Priorities, people. Priorities...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2001, 10:07 PM

At least he doesn't deal crack.....

More power to him, don't conform. Do your own thing and if the stiffs running a High School where kids are supposed to learn how to be independent don't like it then then can get their panties in a ruffle and make a big deal about it.

I'm sure the kid is gonna look back many years ahead and laugh his ass off. And I also find it funny about how we can teach students about all these various parts, but when one person displays such a comfortability with sexuality in generall he must be reprimanded.

Such hiprocratic shite.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: sek929 ]

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 10:20 PM

she would support his decision because it is a positive way for people to talk about their bodies
lol..some weird family

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 10:30 PM

"Here's to the Crazy Ones" LOL

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 10:36 PM

At least he doesn't deal crack.....
oh good. that's comforting.

the quality of the public school system in this country never ceases to astound me.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2001, 10:43 PM

Go HERE.

Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2001, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Mac The Fork:
<STRONG>Kids have been told time and time again: don't go to school wearing your mom's vagina suit.</STRONG>

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>High School where kids are supposed to learn how to be independent</STRONG>
Since when is that the purpose of high school? I think this belief is the problem with our high schools and leads to crap like going to school as a pussie.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: BRussell ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2001, 10:59 PM

Well thats what they tell you at the same time as pushing you down and demanding you conform.

And I'm sure most of the great people today are products of public schools and the rest are stuck up arrogant bastards that never really lived in the real world when being a teenager.

More power to this kid. You only live once, might as well piss off some people along the way.

pscates
Nov 5, 2001, 11:32 PM

<STRONG>More power to this kid. You only live once, might as well piss off some people along the way.</STRONG>
Yeah, there's a cool way to go through life...talk about setting the bar high.

As if there aren't enough crass, low-rent assholes running around out there "pissing people off"...by all means, let's have a few more.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 12:10 AM

<STRONG>And I'm sure most of the great people today are products of public schools and the rest are stuck up arrogant bastards that never really lived in the real world when being a teenager.</STRONG>
The real world is dressing up as a vagina? A costume you know will cause a major "disturbance". Last time I checked the real world was about earning a living and doing something with your life.

I'm bored with these HS students that just do **** because they want to piss people off and make a scene. They are there for the 3 Rs along with science, lit, history, government, music, art...

If some HS kid wants to be a big **** let him do it on his own time.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 12:20 AM

I think this part says it all. Despite what you think about drug use this kid has to be a major league idiot to light up on a school trip. I�m sure he�ll go far in life. May even make to head fry frencher.

Silbereis said he's not sure if the petition will do any good, but after being suspended in September for smoking marijuana on a school trip, he said he can't afford to miss more school.
[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Nile Crocodile ]
I'm a Nile Crocodile

fobside
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 01:43 AM

this reminds me of the drew carey episode where his friend is dressed up like a giant "mushroom" for halloween. i saw that one recently...so gross, but amusing.

finboy
Nov 6, 2001, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by pscates:
<STRONG>Whatever you do, DO NOT come to school with a Confederate flag on your jacket or notebook. BUT you want to show up decked out as a 5' ***** ? Well, by all, you little social commentator, you! You're absolutely ****ing brilliant and a master of true, hard-hitting wit. They'll write books about you!

Priorities, people. Priorities...</STRONG>
Exactly, p. I liked the comment that if the rest of the school voted for him, then they must have been "down with it." A future Rhodes scholar there, huh?

It's the LACK of priorities that scares me. Seems that many of America's yoots have no idea that the world is going to expect them to PRODUCE in just a few short years. Plus, the sense of what is polite and appropriate is lacking -- but that's because there's no one to teach them; I'd bet that lots of parents these days fail to see what's appropriate and what's not. Like this kid's mom. Can't imagine MY mom wearing that, or my Dad approving of it. Just wouldn't happen. Plus, no party thrown by anyone I know would allow something like that if there were kids around.

finboy
Nov 6, 2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG>Since when is that the purpose of high school? I think this belief is the problem with our high schools and leads to crap like going to school as a pussie.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: BRussell ]</STRONG>
Go, man. When I was in school, the purpose was to learn stuff such as literature and sciences. We ALREADY knew how to behave, because our folks taught us. Kids with attention fetishes (such as this one) were removed from school until they had received some counseling and their parents were involved. Today, it seems that schools are teaching kids how to behave (or trying to). Given this incident, this is probably an important role, as a firefighting measure. Ideally, parents have to get involved and actually have EXPECTATIONS for their kids' behaviors.

Independence is great, but it can't be achieved by people who can't support themselves. Plus, there's no freedom of speech at public schools if it interferes with the mission -- which to focus on learning important subjects that are deemed appropriate and necessary (or nowadays, to learn how to behave in public, I guess). What this guy did didn't come under "free speech", it fell under "moronic." If a high schooler wants independence, let them have it -- see how long they last. As is missed by so many others, the "right" to have an opinion and be a free thinker is useless unless you have a disciplined framework of facts and understanding in which to do that "free" thinking. Sure, every high school kid has an opinion about everything, but is it relevant? Maybe their opinion on something close to them, for which they have personal knowledge, is relevant. But their opinion on what is "appropriate" behavior and free speech is backed by NOTHING. That's the problem.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Nov 6, 2001, 12:00 PM

Personally I think it's funny as hell. The fact that the kids mom actually wore the same outfit prior to that and approved of it shows that this kid has one cool mom. The kids also got some pretty big balls

I really see that some people are just too up-tight about things.

What if this kid came dressed-up as a woman? Would he suddenly be beaten-up for "suggesting" he's a transvestite? Or that he's "Making fun of" transvestites?

I mean common, it's funny as hell

Mike

burger
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 12:14 PM

Are there any opinionated people here?

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
<STRONG>

It's the LACK of priorities that scares me. Seems that many of America's yoots have no idea that the world is going to expect them to PRODUCE in just a few short years. Plus, the sense of what is polite and appropriate is lacking -- but that's because there's no one to teach them; I'd bet that lots of parents these days fail to see what's appropriate and what's not. Like this kid's mom. Can't imagine MY mom wearing that, or my Dad approving of it. Just wouldn't happen. Plus, no party thrown by anyone I know would allow something like that if there were kids around.</STRONG>

I disagree. What that kid did required Cast Iron Balls. I like that! I get sick of these cookie cutter Abercrombie and Fitch(No offense to fans of this company) kids who already know that art of smoozing to get into Ivy League or Stanford. Give me a balls to the walls leader that tells it like it is. I'm not saying this kid is it but Leaders aren't always the people that conform. The outfit was distasteful but the chutchpa required to wear it definitely got the attention of his peers.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 02:23 PM

Too bad he couldn't find a differnet way to show what balls he had. I'm guessing this kid is a slacker a-hole that worries more about not being seen than he does about what comes next.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by hmurchison2001:
<STRONG>The outfit was distasteful but the chutchpa required to wear it definitely got the attention of his peers.</STRONG>
But this is content-free evaluation. It's saying that it doesn't matter what you do, it's how you do it. As long as you're confident, and believe what you say, and stand up for your beliefs, blah blah, then whatever you do is great.

Maybe what you do should be more important than how you do it.

pscates
Nov 6, 2001, 03:03 PM

Wow...I have to say I'm heartened and encouraged (and pleasantly surprised) by the majority of you all seeing it the way I see it.

I assumed most of you would think it was cool or "bitchin'" that the little bastard did this (some of you people here are up for ANYTHING that's gross, tacky, against-the-grain, etc.), but it looks like most of you are just as annoyed and disgusted by the complete lack of taste and sense of place that I was.

Color me shocked.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2001, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>I really wish there was a Pic posted of that costume

That's some funny **** .

Mike</STRONG>
There is a pic of it (or at least of some guy wearing such a costume) on stileproject.com. I'd link to it, but I doubt the mods would leave the link be.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2001, 04:24 PM

I can't fathom the amount of people who seem to have forgotten what it was like to be young. If you never pissed off anyone by being stupid, never did anything to get you in trouble, or never made a complete ass out of yourself than what did you do? Schoolwork all the time? Man nothing more important than focusing 100% in HS.

What a bunch of stuckup squares we have here......This is a funny ass thing, the kid just did something that popped into his head. Nice and spontaneous. Not analyzing everything to death like you fools.

You all need to lighten up and remember all the stupid and mindless stuff you did when you were his age. I hope to god all your imagination and spontanaity hasn't died now that you are "mature" or "responsible."

The whole part of being young is living life to your fullest before being homogenized by the work-a-day world. Truthfully, he will have to grow out of this, but let him have his stupid glory for now.

I applaud him ::clapping sounds::

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 04:38 PM

Hey sek929? How about you go to work dressed up as a kunt. We'll all applaud you on the unemployment line.

What planet do we live on where HS kids are encouraged to go to school dressed as genitals? Then the kids tries to play dumb [dopeystonervoice]Uh like uh what's the big deal? Uh? If I was like a spleen no one would care? So? Duh? What's wrong with it? Dude where's my car? Next year I'm going as balls. Then I'll pretend I didn't know it was wrong. Mommy, protect my "rights".[/dopeystonervoice]

I hate it when people play dumb.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Nile Crocodile:
<STRONG>Hey sek929? How about you go to work dressed up as a kunt. We'll all applaud you on the unemployment line.

.</STRONG>
Because the workplace would never tolerate such insolence in their workers. Older folk are considered to be more intelligent and sensible in order not to act like damn fools.

This kid is in High School and dresses as a female organ for Halloween.....Am I missing something here? Why is everyone so tly appaled by this? I'd never do it, since I'm not the genitalia wearing type, but if this kids got no problems with i say hell, get the idiocy out of your system when in a public school.

I'm sure on Halloween day in school not much learning was going on anyways.

But hell, I guess I'm totally wrong on this. Kids should be forced to dress crazy only within the limits of higher powers. If some creativity and wackiness is "too much" for the general populous then its got to be a terrible thing. Only be creative within the limits that are dictated to you, otherwise you may just raise a few eyebrows.....

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 05:15 PM

<STRONG>

Because the workplace would never tolerate such insolence in their workers. Older folk are considered to be more intelligent and sensible in order not to act like damn fools.</STRONG>
And neither should schools. Time for the 17 year old "kids" to act like the adults they are supposed to be.

<STRONG>
This kid is in High School and dresses as a female organ for Halloween.....Am I missing something here? Why is everyone so tly appaled by this? </STRONG>
You're missing that fact that it's not appropriate for school. We're not appalled by his costume, just that he thought it was okay to wear it to school. Also that his ****ing moron of a mother let him. "Well the kids need to make their own mistakes". Some call child welfare.

<STRONG>
I'd never do it, since I'm not the genitalia wearing type, but if this kids got no problems with i say hell, get the idiocy out of your system when in a public school.</STRONG>
I say get the idiocy out of the public schools. Like this kid.

<STRONG>
I'm sure on Halloween day in school not much learning was going on anyways.</STRONG>
Well maybe it's time to do something about that. Like get back to teaching kids.

<STRONG>
But hell, I guess I'm totally wrong on this. Kids should be forced to dress crazy only within the limits of higher powers. If some creativity and wackiness is "too much" for the general populous then its got to be a terrible thing. Only be creative within the limits that are dictated to you, otherwise you may just raise a few eyebrows.....</STRONG>
He can be "crazy" and "creative" in this way outside of school. You make it sound like school is the only place for this stuff. See it for what is it. Some dipshit kid trying to piss people off with a costume he knows is not right for high school. End of story.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2001, 06:47 PM

He should wear the thing to sex ed. class and have all the girls show all the boys wear the G-spot is---then email me the answer.

If he really had guts, he would've worn it to the prom.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

finboy
Nov 6, 2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG>

Maybe what you do should be more important than how you do it.</STRONG>
Yeahhh, baby!

And this kid didn't do ANYTHING. He just showed up. Cajones? I don't think so.

[wait: I know the whole "f*ck the system" thing sounds cool for a lot of you guys/gals, but, trust me, it's what economists call "dissipative behavior." Meaning that it is useless and wasteful for you AND for others. Keep your nose in a book, truly excel in meaningful and appreciated ways (via talent OR hard work), and you'll go somewhere. All the 'tude in the world will buy you nada. You'll look back at 30 and wonder how cool it was to live in your 'rents' basement since high school. Here endeth the lesson.]

pscates
Nov 6, 2001, 09:42 PM

Preach on, brother! You said it, finboy.

Too many people (teens and otherwise) walking around with attitudes and "you owe me" or "**** the system" mentalities.Cool as hell (allegedly) and walk the walk and talk the talk, but couldn't find their home state on a Chuck E. Cheese coloring map and wouldn't know how to act in public if their life depended on it.

All you "South Park" watching mother****ers...it's all your fault

No one is saying the little bastard can't dress up like a cooch on his own time. No one's "rights" are getting trampled on...give it a rest, people.

It's very simple: there's a time and a place for everything. Stalking the halls of Fillmore High School dressed like a monster box probably doesn't fall into the "hey, that's a cool idea!" category.

NOW 'nuff said...

Forum Links
Forum Rules