Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For the graphics types among you...

For the graphics types among you...
pscates
Nov 8, 2001, 07:23 PM

...you'll get a special, knowing kick from this:
http://www.theonion.com/onion3740/wo..._clip_art.html

This just struck me as very real and very funny. It hits VERY close to home, regarding my workplace and some people I know.

In any case, enjoy.

And yes, I know it's a parody...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2001, 09:12 PM

Damn, with people like that in the workplace looks like hopes of me ever getting a design job are shot

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Nov 8, 2001, 09:25 PM

Dear God it's "Martha Steward"

"Look I made this candle myself from bees-wax which I personally extracted from bees-hives"

This (so-called) "Graphic Designer" is the type of person as to why I'm out of work right now God I hate "secretaries" that think they'e "artists".

Mike

pscates  (op)
Nov 8, 2001, 09:35 PM

But it's not real, fellas...relax.
The Onion is satire/parody, so the story (like all their others) are made up and funny.

Although, your point is taken...I know what you mean.

There ARE lots of people out there like this (that's probably why I found it so funny). Give some receptionist a $39 Page-O-Matic "graphics" software from Office Depot, a color inkjet and one of those 375,000 image clip art collections and stand back and watch the smoke!

The funniest thing I ever saw was a business card a real, honest-to-goodness, schooled graphic designer did that was the epitome of everything you're NOT supposed to do. I guess he, being arty and with an ironic sense of humor, thought it would be cool to have cheesy, low-grade clip art, all-caps script and so forth on his business card.

I guess he was dealing with a hip, clued-in-enough clientele that he knew they would "get it" and dig his humor.

If I did that, people would just think I suck. Or worse: depending on the type of people I was hanging around, they might think I was the hottest thing going in design.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Nov 8, 2001, 10:53 PM

There ARE lots of people out there like this (that's probably why I found it so funny). Give some receptionist a $39 Page-O-Matic "graphics" software from Office Depot, a color inkjet and one of those 375,000 image clip art collections and stand back and watch the smoke!
That's funny as hell and so true

Looking at the link again it looks like this womans head is like a piece of "glazed pottery". As-if you hit it with a small hammer it would just "shatter"

Also note the "Courier Italic" font used in her "Thanksgiving Party Invitation"

Typographically speaking, you just don't use "Courier" in a graphic of any kind.

Mike

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 11:40 PM

Its bit*hes like this that force me to stay freelance... HOWEVER! Just today, for the first time EVER I used courier!

ok so it was for the ongoing Pshop battle in the design forum BUT it was used

Nick

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2001, 12:33 AM

It looked to me like it was typed on a typewriter =p
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules