Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying a powerbook: should I wait?

Buying a powerbook: should I wait?
chrikenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 05:03 PM

Ok, so my Compaq laptop has been giving me problems for months, and it has finally reached a point where I can't deal with it any longer. On somewhat of an impulse, I'm very seriously considering buying the 12" powerbook g4 in the next day or two. Is there any compelling reason that I should wait? I guess I could wait for Panther to be shipped on them, but other than that, is there any reason whatsoever to hold off on this impulse and wait a few months? Is the Panther reason even enough of a reason to wait? Please advise!

Thanks,
Chris

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 05:30 PM

On somewhat of an impulse, I'm very seriously considering buying the 12" powerbook g4 in the next day or two. Is there any compelling reason that I should wait?
Nope. Get that credit card out. However, personally, I'd wait until Panther comes out in 2 weeks - and is pre-installed - to avoid the hassle of the upgrade. But, hey, that's me.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 05:50 PM

wait, wait, wait...
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

chrikenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
wait, wait, wait...
For Panther...? Or... for something else?

hazelnutcoffeeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 06:53 PM

buy it! buy it!
it's gonna take two weeks to get to you anyway, unless you buy a stock model at a walk in store.

chrikenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by hazelnutcoffeeg:
buy it! buy it!
it's gonna take two weeks to get to you anyway, unless you buy a stock model at a walk in store.
Actually, I was thinking about buying a stock model from the store at my school, because I get $200 off. And for that matter, I'm a student -- and 2+ weeks without a computer is KILLER (I hate using the public computing clusters -- too much noise to get any work done).

As for the upgrade to Panther, should that cause me to wait since I am seriously in need of a computer, or should it (theoretically) be a simple upgrade. This will be my first Apple, but I know in the past with my PCs upgrading OSs has never been an issue and wouldn't cause me to wait in a situation like this...

Thanks!
chris

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 08:32 PM

As for the upgrade to Panther, should that cause me to wait since I am seriously in need of a computer, or should it (theoretically) be a simple upgrade. This will be my first Apple, but I know in the past with my PCs upgrading OSs has never been an issue and wouldn't cause me to wait in a situation like this...
The best way to do a major system upgrade is to wipe the disk, install the new system and then reinstall ALL your apps. Why go through all this hassle if you can wait two week or so and avoid it?

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 09:12 PM

buy now, they're awsome (so far)
-nate

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
buy now, they're awsome (so far)

Don't wait,

I would never use a new .0 release (Panther) as my only operating system!

I always install on a second drive or partition until bug releases clean up the disasters!

If you wait and get a PB with Panther, you don't have Jaguar to fall back on!

Better to be safe than sorry..... as the latest updates to Jaguar showed!

beijinger
Oct 12, 2003, 10:59 PM

Agree! Use 10.2.7 or 10.2.8rev or whatever is installed on the machine when it comes. the 12 inch does not have the new production problems of the 15 inch and comes in clean. Just pick up the stock model from the store and off you go to some really great computing. Let others work with Panther for a while and get the potential bugs out before installing it. You don't seem to be really Mac Savvy so don't play with new stuff. I used Macs for a decade and still is not Mac Savvy in the technical sense. I just know I turn it on and it just works, to do all the stuff I need to have done. Thats it!

Waiting simply means more headaches if another virus or worm hits you Compaq and less wonderful time spent on this great Mac computing experience.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 12:54 AM

I'm going to echo what a couple others have advised: as long as you're content with the screensize of the revB 12", get it now.

This iteration of the 12" is really nice � fast, solid, bugs are worked out it seems. Purchasing a stock model with your edu discount gets you plenty of computer at a good price, and it'll come with Jaguar plus the $20 Panther upgrade option; best of both worlds, I say, because the software you need now is likely entirely compatible with Jaguar, and you can function on it until any Panther OS and compatability bugs are ironed out, and then you can make an easy (and less expensive) transition.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 12:11 PM

Waiting won't make a big difference in the 12" PBs. Apple seems to have resolved whatever major issues existed with the revA models.

I'm not sure I'd buy a 15" right now, however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules