Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app crashing after Safari 4 beta install

Mail.app crashing after Safari 4 beta install
israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2009, 11:07 PM

I installed the Safari 4 beta the other day and now Mail will launch, check and start to download mail, and then crash. The crash notification says that the Growl plugin is to blame, but I have uninstalled Growl for Mail and its still happening. The Safari 4 beta is the only thing I can think of that was recently installed.

Happening to anyone else? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Backup your Backup

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2009, 11:25 PM

NM. I forgot about Mail's own Growl plugin in the bundles. Deleted and now everything is happy again.
Backup your Backup

wrambro
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2009, 11:25 AM

I'm having a similar problem. My Mail app and Safari will both bounce like they are launching when clicked but will then stop after a bounce or two and won't load (no little triangle underneath the icon either). Tried running deleting the plist for both to no avail. Also ran Disk Warrior with no dice. I'm not even getting to the same point as you were, israces, but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2009, 11:30 AM

See if they work from a different user account.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2009, 11:41 AM

the only thing i've noticed is, since installing the safari 4 beta, the icon in mail that spins when sending...doesn't spin (but mail sends).

odd...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2009, 02:17 PM

What spinning icon?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by wrambro View Post
I'm having a similar problem. My Mail app and Safari will both bounce like they are launching when clicked but will then stop after a bounce or two and won't load (no little triangle underneath the icon either). Tried running deleting the plist for both to no avail. Also ran Disk Warrior with no dice. I'm not even getting to the same point as you were, israces, but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.
Try going to the Library/Mail/Bundles folder for the System and for the User and deleting the growl file in there. That did the trick for me.
Backup your Backup

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What spinning icon?
the icon in mail, that pops up next to the 'sent' paper airplane icon (looks like the loading page icon in safari) when mail is sending..
usually spins fast & is gone; now it stalls, then vanishes (but mail IS going out).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

wrambro
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2009, 12:49 PM

I just uninstalled/reinstalled the beta and everything seemed to be working (sorry, did it on Friday, just forgot to mention it). Only thing I noticed is that I cannot access Top Sites. It doesn't show up in the bookmarks bar or the general preferences (I should clear it up, I'm doing this for a co-worker on his computer, not mine.. I've had no problems on my own personal computer, but his G4 iMac with a likely-failing hard drive, so I'm sure that itself is part of the problem as well)

Forum Links
Forum Rules