Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac Mini keeps losing the wifi connection

Mac Mini keeps losing the wifi connection
Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2009, 06:44 PM

I have a Time Capsule acting as my wireless hub. My Macbook (that I'm typing on now) connects just fine. Both my PS3's connect just fine.

But lately, my Mac Mini keeps losing the connection. If I see my network, the signal is often weak and then it drops completely. It's very strange and I can't figure out why it's doing this. It doesn't seem to be the location in the house, since the PS3 is only three feet from it and it's reading 70%.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2009, 07:07 PM

Uhm, have you tried to change the channel ?

Maybe a neighbor started a wireless network on the same channel and causes interference.

-t

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2009, 07:26 PM

The 2.4 GHz band that is used for networking is used by lots of devices, including cordless phones, baby monitors, and lots of other household-type broadcasting applications. It is also the frequency used by microwaves, so a leaky microwave could cause reception problems as well.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2009, 07:33 PM

But wouldn't any of those also interfere with one of the other devices? I mean, I've got the laptop and the PS3 in the same room, no problem.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2009, 07:36 PM

Change the channel? Huh?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2009, 07:41 PM

You're right. I don't know where the antenna physically is on the Mac Mini, try moving or rotating the unit.

I used to have a problem with my MacBook waking from sleep and not seeing the network, but a recent software update fixed that.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2009, 07:44 PM

I've tried reorienting the unit as much as possible but it doesn't seem to help.

I pick up my network, but then the connection times out after it prompts me for the password.

I'm thinking it's either something physically wrong with the machine or a system corruption. Do you think it would be worth reinstalling Leopard?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2009, 08:47 PM

What kind of security are you running? Has anything changed lately?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2009, 10:57 PM

Why don't you try changing the channel first, before spending hours on a reinstall ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why don't you try changing the channel first, before spending hours on a reinstall ?

-t
This is excellent advice. If you just have a channel issue, changing it WILL fix your problem and that will take a couple of minutes. If it doesn't fix the problem, you've just proven it isn't a simple channel issue and you've learned something about the problem you didn't know before. Reinstalling is a LAST RESORT fix, not only because it takes so long, but also because even if it fixes the issue, it doesn't tell you what the issue was, so you can't "be on guard" against it and/or avoid it entirely in the future.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 11:04 PM

Several months ago, my mini suddenly started dropping the wifi connection for no apparent reason. After a couple days of messing around with it, clearing preferences, changing channels, relocating the machine, etc., I took it to an Apple store. They told me the airport card had gone bad. After they fixed it, I have not had any problems with it.

If you still have apple care, that might be an option worth pursuing to save some headaches.
Backup your Backup

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What kind of security are you running? Has anything changed lately?
Nope. Nada.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
What channel? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 08:03 PM

I did reinstall. Afterwards, the internet connection was good all night long while it downloaded the updates to patch Leopard back to the current version.

Now, it doesn't work again. Could something in one of the Leopard updates over the last few weeks have been responsible?

ibook_steve
Aug 6, 2009, 08:39 PM

The wireless channel. Change it through Airport Utility. It defaults, I believe, to 11, but you can try other channel numbers.

Have you tried moving the mini closer to the TC? If it still fails after that, then there is probably something wrong with the mini's antennae or Airport hardware.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
The wireless channel. Change it through Airport Utility. It defaults, I believe, to 11, but you can try other channel numbers.

Have you tried moving the mini closer to the TC? If it still fails after that, then there is probably something wrong with the mini's antennae or Airport hardware.

Steve
Other devices in the same room are picking up the TC just fine. I'll try finding this channel setting, but if my Macbook and PS3 aren't having any trouble, I can't imagine how it could help.

It's got to be something on the mini. After my experience with reinstalling Leopard, I think it's something to do with one of the updates I installed last night. How that's possible, though, I have no idea.

ibook_steve
Aug 6, 2009, 09:44 PM

As I said, you should try moving the mini closer to the TC to verify this.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

TomThePsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2009, 03:40 AM

Hi, I have had this and other problems since i installed Leopard on my PowerPC Mac Mini.

All seemed fine for the first few months, but i think two or three months ago there was a WIFI automatic Update. Since then, i have had this ongoing problem.

Like yourself, my warranty has long expired, but if we can prove that this update has caused this error, Apple are obliged to either create a new update fixing the problem or cover the cost of a replacement WIFI card.

I know when you install updates there is a disclaimer of acceptance, however, as Apple build their own specific machines, and they write their own software, if something goes wrong, they are obliged to resolve the issue (in accordance with English Law anyway, UK)

Hope this might help you.
I like my collection of Mac's, I don't however like my collection of Vista machines!

TomThePsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2009, 03:44 AM

But if you dont want to get into a lengthy debate with Apple, installing previous version of OS X (Panther?) worked fine for me, and has solved the problem.
I like my collection of Mac's, I don't however like my collection of Vista machines!

Forum Links
Forum Rules