Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport "Extreme"ly slow

Airport "Extreme"ly slow
israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2010, 07:21 PM

The Setup:
Business cable service from Comcast. 22/5 plan. Cable to Cisco DPC3000 modem. Modem to AirPort Extreme (Simultaneous Dual-Band II). 5GHz wireless in use (n clients only) with WPA2. 2.4 GHz wireless in use (b/g/a/n clients) with WPA2. Guest wireless account in use with WPA2. 1000 wired in use to 2 VOIP phones and 1 HP networked printer. Most times, we are super fast and get 35-50/7. Using OpenDNS.

The Problem:
Every few days, maybe about once a week, the speed changes to 3/6 (yes, slower down than up). Kills the VOIP and everything crawls. Plugging a computer directly into the modem shows normal speeds. Anything running through the Airport, wired or wireless, shows the slow speeds. Today it tested out at 0.68/6!! Yes, zero point six eight Mbps. Power cycling the Airport generally solves this for a couple of days, but then it comes right back.

Any ideas what is going on or how to fix it? Or, any suggestions for another wireless gigabit router with a guest wireless account and QoS. (I know I don't have QoS now, but I thought that if we're throwing 22Mbps at it, it would kind of not be a problem for 2 VOIP lines).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Backup your Backup

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2010, 09:03 PM

NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS

Looks like a great unit with all the features you requested.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 02:36 AM

Have you checked your Console for error messages about a double-NAT conflict?

Otherwise, if both wireless and LAN clients connected to the AP Extreme are affected I'd say you got a lemon. Have Apple replace your AP Extreme under warranty.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 6, 2010 at 02:45 AM. )

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2010, 04:16 PM

No double NAT problems. Had those before when Comcast sent us the cable modem/router combo. Sent that thing back and got just the Cisco modem. Only messages in the console relate to associating and disassociating clients, rotation of group keys, and synchronizing clock with network time server.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Have you checked your Console for error messages about a double-NAT conflict?

Otherwise, if both wireless and LAN clients connected to the AP Extreme are affected I'd say you got a lemon. Have Apple replace your AP Extreme under warranty.
Backup your Backup

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS

Looks like a great unit with all the features you requested.
Features look good, but I'm a little nervous about reviews like the one below. Seems a little too close to what I'm already dealing with:

Cons: I cannot keep an internet connection for more then a day without power cycling my ADSL modem (AT&T/Ameritech). It is not the modem as I tried a different modem and my connection is rock solid without the router in the loop and also with my old router in the loop. Reading the forums, I seem to not be the only one with this issue.

Other Thoughts: I love this router, but it is really frustrating to lose both my wired and wireless internet connection once to several times a day. I have tried all versions of firmware that Netgear has offered and it is still an issue. I want to keep this router and just find the setting that's going to work in my environment, but I think there is something wrong. Now I just have to figure out if it is my specific router, or this model. I'm afraid an RMA is just around the corner
Backup your Backup

Cold Warrior
Feb 6, 2010, 04:29 PM

I've used several netgear's over the past 12 months for numerous residential and small business projects, and they aren't that great IMO. Drops and freezes are common. They seem to overheat quickly with sustained Mb traffic despite being on cool hard surfaces in cool rooms.

Is your Extreme poorly ventilated or in a hot room? Are you doing anything like torrents where you could have hundreds of peering connections?

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've used several netgear's over the past 12 months for numerous residential and small business projects, and they aren't that great IMO. Drops and freezes are common. They seem to overheat quickly with sustained Mb traffic despite being on cool hard surfaces in cool rooms.

Is your Extreme poorly ventilated or in a hot room? Are you doing anything like torrents where you could have hundreds of peering connections?
It sits out in the open on a shelf in the office. No torrents (well not never, but not usually). Just 3 computers, 2 iphones, 2 printers, and 2 IP phones usually on it.
Backup your Backup

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2010, 09:29 PM

30 minutes on the phone with Apple support and "Senior" engineer and still can't figure it out. My guess is it's going back. Thanks for the help.
Backup your Backup

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 03:46 AM

As I already mentioned, if both LAN and wifi connections suffer from the same issue (and you know the cable modem is working) it's most likely your AP Extreme unit is defective. Have Apple replace it under warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules