Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A different iBook sleep question.

A different iBook sleep question.
rastatero
Aug 8, 2004, 10:39 AM

In the Energy Saver preference pane, I have it set to put the computer to sleep when inactive for five minutes. Well after awhile the display goes dim, then at five minutes it goes black. The white LED does not breathe and the optical on the USB mouse is still lit. I am fairly sure it's a sleep except now I am not so sure anymore. This sleep phase is different from hitting the power button then sleep. When sleeping via pressing the power button, the white LED will breathe and turns the optical sensor of the mouse off. Any have any idea if this is normal? -- Tony

drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 8, 2004, 11:03 AM

What you describe sounds like the display is sleeping, not the actual iBook. In the Energy Saver prefs there are two options under Sleep, the top slider is for the computer to sleep (sleep light should come on, hard disk parks), the bottom slider is just for the display (simmilar to turning the brightness all the way down).

rastatero  (op)
Aug 8, 2004, 12:24 PM

The check box marked, "Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for," is unchecked. I also tried playing around with the "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" setting as well. I also tried doing this with the AC adapter plugged and unplugged. I do not think that the computer has every truely slept by itself when left unattended. I guess it has always been turning turning off the display. It is not a huge deal because I can always manually sleep the iBook myself before I get up, but I think it is still an important function to have especially if I forget to do so. -- Tony
( Last edited by rastatero; Aug 8, 2004 at 12:35 PM. )

drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 8, 2004, 03:37 PM

If your iBook is connected to a network/router/hub/whatever that may be keeping it awake. That's my only idea.

Anyone else?

rastatero  (op)
Aug 8, 2004, 04:37 PM

I called Apple support, apparently when the sleep mode that occurs when the computer is inactive for a perscribed amount of time is a softer sleep than the deep sleep when summoned by the special menu or the power button. He ensured me that everything was normal. -- Tony

drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 8, 2004, 04:41 PM

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

rastatero  (op)
Aug 12, 2004, 07:38 PM

I just wanted everyone to post weather or not their white LED pulses when the iBook sleeps due to inactivity. My iBook went to "sleep" due to inactivity when I left for work, and as soon as I arrived to work I went on AIM and noticed that my username running on my iBook was still on... The fact that my sleep function still apparently only inactives the display is beginning to bother me. Can I just confirm with you guys whether this is correct or incorrect functionality.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 08:02 PM

Hm.. I will look into this. My computer has gone to sleep with the light pulsing if I leave it unattended for a certain amount of time.
iamwhor3hay

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 04:27 PM

well if you can't sleep it by leaving it unattended i think something is wrong. i just did custom energy saver and did 3 minutes for the screensaver, 4 minutes for the display and 5 minutes for the "deep sleep" . and after 5 minutes i got this:
iamwhor3hay

rastatero  (op)
Aug 13, 2004, 05:31 PM

I just did the Mac OS X 10.3.5 update and it somehow fixed my error. My iBook is not properly sleeping... Thanks for looking into the problem though. I really appreciate it.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 06:16 PM

did anything go wrong with the mac OS X 10.3.5 update on your iBook?
iamwhor3hay

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 10:04 PM

actually, i think drive-thru is right. if you're on wifi it will not go into a deep sleep if you have Safari or AIM/iChat open when you leave. i will try it a couple more times
iamwhor3hay

ursus
Aug 14, 2004, 06:27 AM

I have the same problem as Rastatero (briefly discussed here) and have still to find a solution. It's annoying because when I leave it unplugged it doesn't sleep and so drains the battery completely (eventually goes into sleep, but only because battery level is 1%) and I have to plug it in to start it. I've checked everything (to my poor knowledge) and have unplugged ethernet cable, turned off Airport etc. No USB peripherals connected... All ideas appreciated.

Cheers,
marcus

Forum Links
Forum Rules