Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple In-Ear headphones and iPod remote question

Apple In-Ear headphones and iPod remote question
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 09:54 PM

Can someone tell me what these are supposed to feel like inside your ear?
I bought them awhile ago but I cant really get them to stay in my ear....Partly because I dont know how they are supposed to go in.....
I know this sounds dumb, but are they just supposed to kinda "rest" in your ear or do you guys force them in so they fell real tight 'inside" your ear

Anyone be able to take any shots of them in your ears so I can see where they sit?

lol....again I know this is dumb but it sucks when I spent like $60 for these and still have not been able to use them
( Last edited by Daracle; Aug 7, 2004 at 10:04 PM. )
Who reads this???

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 09:58 PM

Also.....I have my iPod in my case (One supplied by apple) and I usually wrap both my headphones and remote cord around it...This has caused my remote to have kinks in it...like it is wav...Anyone know how to get these out?
Who reads this???

rastatero
Aug 8, 2004, 08:49 AM

They are supposed to sit in your ear canal. --Tony

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 09:07 AM

About putting the earphones in....they are not easy to insert and they do not fit well for a lot of people (I had to stop using them in the end because it just drove me nuts... )
To insert the left earbud, reach your right arm over and gently pull your ear upwards so that your ear canal is open wide, then insert the bud at a 45 degree angle, let your ear go and twist the bud down.
Hope that helps

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 06:22 PM

The idea of in-ear headphones is that they really stuff themselves into your ear canal, which blocks out outside noise and pumps all the sound directly into your ear. When you have them inserted properly, most outside noise should be very muffled. Also try the different sized caps for the best fit.

That said, I find Apple's in-ear 'phones to have an odd fit. I have a pair of Sony's that fit much better, IMO.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 8, 2004, 08:21 PM

You absolutely must "stuff" them into the ear. If the seal is not tight, they will sounds lousy.

tooki

Cellery
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 11:03 PM

The silicone gaskets on Sony's in-ear earbuds (MDR-EX70/71, MDR-NC11) are far more forgiving than Apple's design. I couldn't get a good fit no matter what size gasket I used or how I put the earbud in. The friend I gave them to lovem the fit though, so maybe it varies from person to person. I just stuck with the Sony buds and called it a day.

rastatero
Aug 8, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
The silicone gaskets on Sony's in-ear earbuds (MDR-EX70/71, MDR-NC11) are far more forgiving than Apple's design. I couldn't get a good fit no matter what size gasket I used or how I put the earbud in. The friend I gave them to lovem the fit though, so maybe it varies from person to person. I just stuck with the Sony buds and called it a day.
I have been using the MDR-EX71's for the last eight months and I am very satisfied with these earbuds. These are the best earbuds I have ever owned. Now I just need them in white to match my iPod - previous minidisc owner. -- Tony

KidKit
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 02:49 AM

Here's how you know you've got your in-ear headphones on correctly with a good seal - the surrounding sounds are muffled and you hear your own bodily sounds (ie breathing, swallowing) more clearly. It's how it sounds when you've got ear plugs on, or when your head goes under the water when swimming.

hope that helps.
mavafyipdq

Forum Links
Forum Rules