Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Looking for hard drive test program

Looking for hard drive test program
King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 10:56 AM

I am looking for a good macintosh drive test program. I want it to be able to do a thorough test (check for bad blocks, mechanical failure, etc) on both internal and external hard drives (other drives would be nice too). Under OS 9 I was able to get the drive setup utility to at least check for bad blocks, but I have not found a good way to do this under 10.

What is recommended for testing hard drives on the mac? I would (of course) prefer a free utility, but I could buy something if I have to. If I have to buy something I want something that will still work for the next few revs of the OS; I am on 10.2 and intend to upgrade to 10.4 awhile after it comes out.

Thanks
-King Rat

Bozley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 11:33 AM

Maxtor has some here: http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads

I don�t know if they work for every drive or just Maxtor drives? You could try!

rastatero
Aug 12, 2004, 12:51 PM

I am not sure that the Maxtor PowerMax drive diagnostic tools are compatible with Macs. I quickly checked the system requirements and was unable to find anything that said it would work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules