Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook and Amazon.com... When?

MacBook and Amazon.com... When?
[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 03:32 PM

Now I know Amazon.com uses very conservative delivery estimates. For example, my Black MacBook which I ordered today is supposed to arrive on July 26th!

Does anyone have any more realistic shipment predictions? Obviously we can not know when Amazon will receive their units from Apple, but by all estimates Apple seems to have made plenty of MacBooks in advance. What about people with previous experience of ordering Macs from Amazon.com?

mathew_m
Senior User
May 23, 2006, 04:02 PM

Amazon is probably Apple's biggest reseller. While they will probably get more stock earlier they also will receive the biggest number of pre-orders. If you really want it sooner there are several other retailers selling the BlackBook with $100 rebate. While nobody currently has them in stock; I suspect the smaller outlets will be faster in shipping than Amazon. I wouldn't doubt that Amazon is currently sitting on a couple thousand pre-orders.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2006, 04:09 PM

I was going to start a similar thread. We should try and keep track if anyone has gotten an Amazon MacBook order shipped. My sister has one on order that I've been monitoring, but no change so far.

[email protected]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Amazon is probably Apple's biggest reseller. While they will probably get more stock earlier they also will receive the biggest number of pre-orders. If you really want it sooner there are several other retailers selling the BlackBook with $100 rebate. While nobody currently has them in stock; I suspect the smaller outlets will be faster in shipping than Amazon. I wouldn't doubt that Amazon is currently sitting on a couple thousand pre-orders.
So I am looking for a place with a rebate and no sales tax (to NY). Do you think MacMall would be quicker? Any other suggestions. Obviously I am willing to wait (thats why I'm going this cheaper route) but it would be nice to get it earlier.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2006, 04:48 PM

Are you getting the high-end MacBook? Because MacMall's rebate for the other models is lower than Amazon's.

flukewurm
May 23, 2006, 04:55 PM

yeah. i have a macbook coming via amazon too. a friend of a friend ordered his there as well. he is calling them tomorrow to see if he can get a more accurate (and reasonable) ship date from them. ill let you guyses know if i find something out.

i mean they HAVE to ship it sooner than july 26. the rebate is only good if you cash in before the 30th of june.

spacecadet610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 06:19 PM

I ordered early (when it said in stock). Shipped Friday have UPS tracking #. Will arrive this friday.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2006, 06:45 PM

When did you order? I never saw it say anything but "preorder" and I saw the page the day they put it up, I think.

[email protected]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 06:53 PM

FYI, I called MacMall and they told me they will likely have them in next week and an order placed today will go out then. I don't know how accurate this information is, but I decided to take my chances despite MacMall's questionable service and cancel my Amazon order. A $100 rebate is also available along with a free printer, although shipping is more expensive.

I'll keep people updated on my MacMall purchase.

PS: By the way, I did get the Black model. I need the 80GB so when my BTO Apple.com White 2.0GHz MacBook with sales tax cost nearly as much as these two deals even with the educational discount. Normally I would never get the Black model but now that I was "forced" to I am very happy =P

flukewurm
May 23, 2006, 07:22 PM

here are some peoples talking about the ship date for their coming macbooks.

rslifka
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 07:32 PM

Preordered the cheapie today, will post back when it ships.

Rob

spacecadet610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 07:40 PM

It was just the cheapest option Macbook that had the ship within 24 hrs advertisement. I ordered early thursday morning. I think they were first in stock wednesday and prob lasted less than 24 hrs b4 they changed it to a preorder. Just wished i had chosen faster shipping..

flukewurm
May 23, 2006, 07:49 PM

mathew_m
Senior User
May 23, 2006, 08:44 PM

Well I just placed an order for the base model through Amazon (the best deal) and was informed of a July 31st - Aug 1st shipping date! Gives me plenty of time to change my mind I guess. Supposedly many of the resellers will be getting more stock in by mid-June. I have a feeling that the MacBook will be in short supply through most of the summer especially at places providing rebates. The fastest route is to either bite the bullet and order from Apple or one of the other resellers not offering rebates.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2006, 09:38 PM

Don't get too discouraged, though. I was reluctant to buy from Amazon when I got my iMac because they had such ridiculously long shipping estimates, and so I ordered a 20" iMac through Apple. Then I changed my mind and tried to cancel the Apple order, but it had already been shipped. They kindly said that I could just send it back when it arrived, though, so I went ahead and ordered the stock 17" model from Amazon. The Apple one ended up arriving only one day before the Amazon one! I expect we'll be seeing shipping notices before too long.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2006, 09:50 PM

I emailed Amazon about when my credit card would be charged and here's what they wrote back:

--------

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com with your question.

Since the item you've ordered is sold by Amazon.com, we will not
charge your credit card for any items until after they enter the
shipping process.

This item is set to be released on June 15, 2006, therefore your
credit card will not be charged until after it enters the shipping
process, which should be around June 17, 2006.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com.

--------

They said June 15th, even though my order says July 26th. Not sure who's right.

Porco
May 24, 2006, 12:37 PM

Amazon is preparing my white 2.0ghz macbook for shipment as we speak. Hopefully I will have it tomorrow.

rslifka
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Porco
Amazon is preparing my white 2.0ghz macbook for shipment as we speak. Hopefully I will have it tomorrow.
When did you order it?

My order, placed yesterday, estimates shipping in late July!!

Rob

mathew_m
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 12:50 PM

see above

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 12:54 PM

Are there any websites outside of the US that offer similar rebates to this Amazon one? All the websites in the UK seem to have exactly the same price as Apple, which makes me wonder who on earth would order from them when you can just get it from Apple.

Porco
May 24, 2006, 01:21 PM

I ordered mine the 18th. I had originally placed the order on the 16th, but was waffling between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 01:33 PM

My sister's iBook was also ordered on the 18th... Maybe we'll see some progress soon.

b11051973
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 02:40 PM

I thought about going the Amazon route, but didn't like that I didn't know how long I had to wait. I've been waiting to replacement my 12" PB forever. I was too excited and just couldn't wait. Sucks I could have saved $200, but oh well.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 04:51 PM

I just cancelled my amazon order, and ordered from MacMall. It said it should ship 1-3 days. So who knows, maybe I could have it next week sometime.

Hopefully they really will be able to get it out this week.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 06:25 PM

I just placed an order for a black MacBook from Amazon. The $100 rebate is available even if the Mac ships after June 30 if you contact Amazon's help dept (there's a link to it on the page explaining online rebates). So with $100 in Amazon Gift Certificates and the $100 rebate, my final price is $1,299. I don't mind waiting a bit to save the $ (I always go for the free shipping which also takes a few days longer). I seriously doubt it will take until late July to ship but no matter. Half the fun of a getting a new Mac is the anticipation.

[email protected]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
I just cancelled my amazon order, and ordered from MacMall. It said it should ship 1-3 days. So who knows, maybe I could have it next week sometime.
Hey, I did the same thing a few days earlier. I ordered the Black one... how about you? They told me probably next week, but it would be great if it were 1-3 days! Can you keep me updated (as will I)?

Update: Just called, and they told me first week in June (1st, 2nd, 3rd) although it could be sooner.

jchen
May 24, 2006, 07:00 PM

I'm getting a July 26th estimated ship date as well. I ordered the low end model ($999 after rebate, how could I resist?). I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

Porco
May 24, 2006, 11:47 PM

Mine shipped today from Amazon. I will get it tomorrow (pays to be close to their warehouse). Will report on what I think about it.

vandelay
May 25, 2006, 12:44 AM

I ordered mine the 18th. I had originally placed the order on the 16th, but was waffling between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro.
What? I ordered on the 16th and my account info gives me a late July estimate.

Porco
May 25, 2006, 12:54 AM

Which version did you order? I bought the white 2.0ghz.

vandelay
May 25, 2006, 10:31 AM

Which version did you order? I bought the white 2.0ghz.
I ordered both the black and the white 2.0ghz in seperate orders, figuring i could cancel one of them later.

Porco
May 25, 2006, 10:45 AM

When you look at the account, even with the date of July in the main screen, you may want to click on the actual order to get details. Mine still said July, but with a Shipping Soon. That let me know it was in the packaging process.

vandelay
May 25, 2006, 11:14 AM

No, it says July 20th there too.

jsousa
May 25, 2006, 11:16 AM

why does amazon still say preorder when i go to look at the item?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fry212
Hey, I did the same thing a few days earlier. I ordered the Black one... how about you? They told me probably next week, but it would be great if it were 1-3 days! Can you keep me updated (as will I)?

Update: Just called, and they told me first week in June (1st, 2nd, 3rd) although it could be sooner.

The guys told me it should come wednesday and ship to me the same day or the next, depending on when the shipment arrives. So I guess the 1st or 2nd, and then a few days to get here. Maybe I'll have it by the weekend??

Edit: For clarification, this is an order from MacMall, not amazon. I started with Amazon, but couldn't deal with the long wait that they have marked on their site.
( Last edited by DeathMan; May 25, 2006 at 08:32 PM. )

HouseSold
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
The guys told me it should come wednesday and ship to me the same day or the next, depending on when the shipment arrives. So I guess the 1st or 2nd, and then a few days to get here. Maybe I'll have it by the weekend??

UPS just delivered from Amazon (2:44pm PDT, May 25th); shipped overnite, ordered last week.

BlackBook for daughter (so she thinks)

I was at the Apple Store where a husband, wife and daughter were each buying one to keep from arguing over one MacBook .

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
UPS just delivered from Amazon (2:44pm PDT, May 25th); shipped overnite, ordered last week.

BlackBook for daughter (so she thinks)

I was at the Apple Store where a husband, wife and daughter were each buying one to keep from arguing over one MacBook .
so you got yours from amazon, already? and it was a black one?

sbsmac
May 25, 2006, 11:58 PM

I ordered my white 2.0Ghz MacBook on May 19th. Estimate was July 20th, but today they've changed the status to "Shipping Soon" and it will be here May 31st supposedly. Hopefully more people's will be in by that time.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 12:33 AM

Going by that account then I'm hoping for a bumped shipping soon notice sometime next week. I have a feeling a lot of people have canceled their orders seeing such long wait times. Amazon should really change it so not to scare off business. I could be wrong though and most people just place their order and go on with their lives unlike the rest of us.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 01:33 AM

I've been checking the order for my sister's MacBook several times a day (hey, I get to help set it up for her, so I'm kind of excited) and it just changed from "not yet shipped" to "shipping soon." It was ordered on the evening of the 18th. I'm afraid that the holiday will mean that we won't get it until Tuesday at the earliest, though.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 04:50 AM

I ordered today and it also just flipped over to "Shipping Soon"

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nebrie
I ordered today and it also just flipped over to "Shipping Soon"
What model?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 11:31 AM

Just got this from Amazon (never got a message like this from them before, by the way):

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are pleased to report that the following item will ship
sooner than expected:

"Apple MacBook MA254LL/A 13.3" Notebook PC (1.83 GHz Intel Core
Duo, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive)" [Personal
Computers]

For more details, please visit the Your Account section of our web site
(http://www.amazon.com/your-account). You can also reach Your Account
by clicking on the link in the top right corner of any page on our web
site.

HouseSold
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by allexsimmons
so you got yours from amazon, already? and it was a black one?
Yes and yes.
If our DSL with SBC/AT&T hadn't still been out, we would have all the updates done. iWeb was 95mb, I believe.

No complaints, except the heat may be something my 8 year old has to be aware of.

We are getting another CoolPad, just in case. And it does show body oil quickly, but not objectionably; must scrub up for surgery before using. Ha

More memory is a must.

sbsmac
May 26, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Just got this from Amazon (never got a message like this from them before, by the way):
Just checked my email, I got it too.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
What model?
I ordered the black one

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 01:28 PM

i orderd the blcak, and the shipping updated to may 31. I hope it gets here.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 01:40 PM

My sister's MacBook just shipped. Yay!

flukewurm
May 26, 2006, 05:07 PM

im dyin over here.
i take a glance at my front porch at least 3 or 4 times a day to check for a macbook size box.
i had a dream about playing with my new macbook just 2 nights ago.
cmon apple. get your low end macbooks to amazon. so amazon can get mine to ME.

i ordered my 1.83 on may 18. my estimated ship still says july 27.

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 08:45 PM

My black one just shipped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules