Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to find Shutter sound in OSX

How to find Shutter sound in OSX
Lenzdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 09:41 PM

In this archived thread: http://forums.macnn.com/100/software...ware-for-os-x/

...is a discussion about using the SHIFT/APPLE/4 combo to get a selectable screen capture. Very cool stuff and I use it all the time.

However, I just found out today that when you take a snapshot of whatever, you get a very cool "camera shutter" sound that is built-into OSX - somewhere. I've done a thorough search for where this sound is stored but can't find it for the life of me.

Does anyone know how to find this way cool camera-shutter sound that is being used by this built-in screen capture?

Thanks.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 09:43 PM

That is such a great question! I have looked for it too and no luck. Someone must know this!

Freakout Jackson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 02:05 AM

applications > utilities > grab...
control click on the grab app and choose "show package contents"
it's actually 2 sounds, they're in the resources folder.

Lenzdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 11:42 AM

[edit]

Lenzdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Freakout Jackson View Post
applications > utilities > grab...
control click on the grab app and choose "show package contents"
it's actually 2 sounds, they're in the resources folder.
Thanks for the suggestion but the sounds being used by "Grab" are totally different than the SHIFT/APPLE/4 command app. I can't even find where this built-in app lives in the OS much less where this shutter sound is coming from.

Is there a way using say, Terminal, to figure out where an app lives while it's being activated? Some sort of log that would be created while the app is running? Maybe by using that info I could drill down and find both the app and the sound file being used.

Freakout Jackson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 11:52 AM

Sorry I thought os x just used grab in the background for screen caps.

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 02:06 PM

cd /System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/system/

Enjoy!

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Juneappal View Post
cd /System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/system/

Enjoy!
Oh - but that isn't what you asked - here's how I found it:
locate aif|grep -v Users|grep -v Solo |grep Library |grep -v Garage |grep -v ports|grep -v ython |grep -v nhancer

Lenzdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Juneappal View Post

Enjoy!
That's it!!

Thank you tons!

jamiemcf
Aug 9, 2007, 09:52 PM

What exactly do you even want it for?

Lenzdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by jamiemcf View Post
What exactly do you even want it for?
You'll see in a few weeks: http://www.photosinaflash.com

MacBurg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 05:49 AM

I used Audacity to edit a sound clip of a Nikon F4, then dropped this into place of the grab.aiff file in the system sounds, sounds great and nice for a change. Its a pretty clunky old camera but thats what made it famous, and the sound is nice and authentic compared with the original Grab sound. If you want too you can download the F4 single shutter actuation sound from here -

Grab.aif

Might be to your liking, maybe not.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lenzdude View Post
You'll see in a few weeks: Photos In A Flash
I'm not entirely sure that building a commercial project off audio material stolen from copyrighted software is such a terribly good idea.

Are you taking a similar approach to the photographic material and digital imagery you will be using to make you money?

MacBurg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 06:10 AM

"Learn to shoot like a pro.....in one day"

I don't think so.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
I used Audacity to edit a sound clip of a Nikon F4, then dropped this into place of the grab.aiff file in the system sounds, sounds great and nice for a change. Its a pretty clunky old camera but thats what made it famous, and the sound is nice and authentic compared with the original Grab sound. If you want too you can download the F4 single shutter actuation sound from here -

Grab.aif

Not bad.

Made me think, we should have a whole thread just for various shutter sounds.

Here's a collection of 53 various (analogue) shutter sounds I found on the internet and converted to .aif. Mostly Japanese compacts, but also a few Leicas. I especially like the R4 one.

53 shutter sounds

MacBurg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 07:42 AM

Not bad either, but I would be very dissapointed if my camera made any of these sounds when taking a photo, nothing beats the mechanical sound of shutter curtains opening/closing.

Another good site to find interesting sound clips and samples is Freesounds I suggest searching for a certain sound you are after, theres thousands of weird noises there.

Lenzdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I'm not entirely sure that building a commercial project off audio material stolen from copyrighted software is such a terribly good idea.

Are you taking a similar approach to the photographic material and digital imagery you will be using to make you money?
Actually it turns out that same shutter sound is part of Soundtrack Pro's built-in SFX and since we own FCS2 then there's no hint of copyright infringment. The rest of the content is either part of my stock catalog from from over 20 years as a commercial shooter or was specifically shot for the project. But thanks for the concern.

And as far as "Shoot like a pro, in a day" wait to see Volume One and then judge for yourself. Unfortunately our first distribution will only be NTSC Region 1 but later as the series gains traction we'll be re-releasing PAL Region 8 versions along with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (the entire project was shot in HD).

Juneappal - Since you found the sound for us (even though it's duplicated in FCS2) PM me with your mailing address and we'll get you a free copy of Volume One when it releases.

Thanks for all help, people.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 09:41 AM

Actually it turns out that same shutter sound is part of Soundtrack Pro's built-in SFX and since we own FCS2 then there's no hint of copyright infringment. The rest of the content is either part of my stock catalog from from over 20 years as a commercial shooter or was specifically shot for the project. But thanks for the concern.
Well, you lucked out on the sound, didn't ya?

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 01:04 PM

Juneappal - Since you found the sound for us (even though it's duplicated in FCS2) PM me with your mailing address and we'll get you a free copy of Volume One when it releases.
Hey cool - I would love to see it. I think you have private messaging turned off, though. My username on this board is also my username at gmail.com, if you know what I mean.

-Adam

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post

Grab.aif

Beautiful noise. I put this in iTunes, filtered so it was the only track showing, then played it on repeat. for some reason, iTunes plays it in quick succession four times, then pauses for a beat before playing the sequence again. That's very cool - like my 20D that can fire 5 times in quick succession then has to pause 1/2 second to write to CF before shooting again.

MacBurg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 05:10 PM

Yeah, the original F4 sound clip I downloaded is about 10 actuations of the shutter fired randomly, but after editing I now use it with various system sounds like when my camera connects to Capture One Pro, theres also some other nice camera/flash sounds I got from Freesounds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules