Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone seen the inside of a Alum15? I just did...

Anyone seen the inside of a Alum15? I just did...
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 11:06 AM

amazing engineering in there. My local repair guy had it apart for my 2nd keyboard replacement.

There is a lot of work in getting the top off the base of the computer. A number of visible and hidden screws (under memory slots) hold this together. Definetly nothing as simple as the Ti books.

Anyways, under the keyboard, you will find MANY fiber optic strips. The light source is placed on one end of the keyboard, which pipes light though the optics. Harddrive sits under the touchpad...processor is at the top middle, under the 6,7 key areas. The cooling fans push air from the top sides where the esp and eject keys are located. The airport has a coax cable antennae that runs through the hinge into the lcd pannel. Next to the speakers are the tiny ambient light sensors which activate the lgihted keyboard, so you could just block those on the underside of the speaker grills if you wanted 100% lighted keyboard action.

Thats about all I can remember now. BTW, the keys on my keyboard that wouldnt light up, the damn apple QC guy didnt even check see that there was black TAPE ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE KEYS WITH NO LIGHT...DUH! all we had to do was pull them off.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

BlueCat
Dec 13, 2003, 06:32 AM

Any chance of you remembering whether the right speaker is slightly blocked by something? I've noticed that PB15 speakers appeared to be slightly left biased. I had thought it may had to do with the way the speakers are physically positioned.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 10:03 AM

I cant remember 100% but one speaker is positioned lower in the grill than the other. Also, one speaker appeared to be pysically LARGER than the other. This might cause the difference you are hearing.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 10:30 AM

Bluecat

I noticed that aswell....One of the first things I noticed when I got it. I am planning on buying some speakers though

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by BlueCat:
Any chance of you remembering whether the right speaker is slightly blocked by something? I've noticed that PB15 speakers appeared to be slightly left biased. I had thought it may had to do with the way the speakers are physically positioned.
On my 12" and 17" powerbooks the sound goes out of center on its own. Go into system preferences and balance the sound to center. If you still feel it is not centered, just move the position toward the lacking direction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules