Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BTO? And an accessory question...

BTO? And an accessory question...
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 11:10 PM

Hello..i am new here and have recently become an Apple freak! i got my 20 gig 2G ipod last october for only $250 and then the windows iTunes blew me away..and now since i am heading to Dartmouth College in the fall, i have chosen the 15" 1.5 ghz Powerbook w/ Superdrive...i have a couple of questions though..

1. i see a lot of people using the phrase BTO...what does it mean?

2. one accessory i am looking for is a fingerprint scanner..i know there are many avaulable for PC's, but are there any for the Powerbook? i reallly need one, im a security freak...
blah

nate_02
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 11:37 PM

Welcome to the forums!

BTO means Built To Order.

I'm not sure about the fingerprint scanner but I think I've seen some stories on the MacNN news some time ago. I'm sure some more news will pop up in the future. Until then, the best place to check would be to search in the peripherals forum.
-nate

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 12:05 AM

There are USB biometric solutions:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=102

You're probably better off investing money in a good notebook lock since you are going to college. You're more likely to have someone walk off with your Powerbook than someone sitting there brute forcing your login.

Just password protect your Powerbook and turn on FileVault and you will be fine. Unless you're doing government work or working with sensitive data it�s overkill.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by SplijinX:
Just password protect your Powerbook and turn on FileVault and you will be fine. Unless you're doing government work or working with sensitive data it�s overkill.
FileVault does well for government work, too

Forum Links
Forum Rules