Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Diskwarrior + Powerbook = Kernel Panic

Diskwarrior + Powerbook = Kernel Panic
mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2005, 01:19 PM

Okay, I bought my powerbook and have been trying to use my existing version of Diskwarrior 3 for about a month now. The computer REFUSES to boot from the 3.02 CD. Kernel Panic every single time. So what do I do? I hop onto the web, find out that 3.02 is incompatible with Tiger. Just freakin' wonderful - so I download the updater, run it, try again - same story - kernel panic. The funny thing is that I tried the burned update CD on a separate Mac running Tiger and it booted just perfectly but refuses to do this with the PB. Trying to burn another copy on a SEPARATE computer yielded the same problem.

No dice.

Any suggestions, or am I overlooking something entirely?

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mad cow disease
Okay, I bought my powerbook and have been trying to use my existing version of Diskwarrior 3 for about a month now. The computer REFUSES to boot from the 3.02 CD. Kernel Panic every single time. So what do I do? I hop onto the web, find out that 3.02 is incompatible with Tiger. Just freakin' wonderful - so I download the updater, run it, try again - same story - kernel panic. The funny thing is that I tried the burned update CD on a separate Mac running Tiger and it booted just perfectly but refuses to do this with the PB. Trying to burn another copy on a SEPARATE computer yielded the same problem.

No dice.

Any suggestions, or am I overlooking something entirely?

you can order an updated cd of diskwarrior. the version of the os on the cd isn't recent enough to boot your powerbook. i had a 1.25 aluminum powerbook, and then upgraded to a 1.67 model. same thing happened to me. saw on their website i needed to order an updated cd and now everything works perfectly. i think the updated cd cost me aroun $20, give or take with the shipping etc...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

mad cow disease  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 12:55 AM

$20 for a flipping CD?

Gah.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by mad cow disease
$20 for a flipping CD?

Gah.
i'm just the messenger...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 06:39 AM

Was the other computer a G5 or G4? I'd contact the Diskwarrior folks and ask for help.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 07:48 AM

the problem is probably that the system included on your dw cd is too old to boot your powerbook.

the dw updater will only update the dw application on the cd, not the operating system.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
the problem is probably that the system included on your dw cd is too old to boot your powerbook.

the dw updater will only update the dw application on the cd, not the operating system.
that's exactly what the problem is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules