Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Federer. "...the greatest talent in the history of tennis"

Federer. "...the greatest talent in the history of tennis" (Page 3)
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 01:28 AM

I left early in the 3rd set thinking it was over (to play some tennis actually)... I came back and almost **** myself.... and pissed I missed it!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 02:02 AM

He played so incredibly poorly in that final. I've never seen him make so many errors. Nevertheless, he stuck with it and pulled it off through mental toughness and endurance. Anyone see the Agassi match? That was high quality stuff..

Anyway, Nadal looked great out there (until the 5th).. and could be a future rival for federer.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 02:04 AM

I've never seen Federer so pissed. Did you see him slam down his racket?

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Albert Pujols:
I've never seen Federer so pissed. Did you see him slam down his racket?

I've kick myself for missing it

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
I left early in the 3rd set thinking it was over (to play some tennis actually)... I came back and almost **** myself.... and pissed I missed it!
I can't believe you thought it was over. He's Roger Federer. Besides, as the mentioned, Nadal has run out of steam before in long matches. I knew Roger would find a way back into the match.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 09:08 AM

A picture from the recent Hamburg win.

--------

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2005, 12:41 AM

Paris should be interesting this year... Hopefully we'll get some decent coverage in north america

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:10 AM

Indeed, this is the year of the Moya after all.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 03:22 AM

I predict that Federer will not win the Freedom Open.
I, ASIMO.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 12:52 PM

AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWESSSSSSSSOME! game!!!!!!
Federer does the hatrick!

Great to see you back on top of your game! Rogi!!!

------------------------------

Federer beats Roddick for third straight Wimbledon title
By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
July 3, 2005

AP - Jul 3, 12:13 pm EDT
More Photos
WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Roger Federer strengthened his claim to greatness Sunday, winning his third consecutive Wimbledon title by beating Andy Roddick 6-2, 7-6 (2), 6-4.

With an impeccable performance, even by his high standards, the top-ranked Federer became the third man since 1936 to win three straight Wimbledon crowns, joining seven-time champion Pete Sampras and five-time winner Bjorn Borg.

``Nice group,'' Federer said during the trophy ceremony. ``Sampras was one of my favorite players of all time. Borg, what you can you say about him, he's just fantastic. ... I hope it's not going to stop with three. Maybe one day I'll win a fourth one, but this one is already very, very great.''

Federer defeated the second-seeded Roddick at Wimbledon for the third year in a row, including the past two finals, and leads the rivalry 9-1. Roddick is 32-0 against everyone else on grass since 2003.

``Pity for him,'' Federer said, ``but I really did play my best.''

Federer won his 21st consecutive final and improved to 5-0 in Grand Slam finals. The 23-year-old Swiss became the first man since Tony Trabert in 1953-55 to win his first five major finals.

On championship point Federer hit a 129 mph service winner, his fastest of the match. He screamed with joy, fell to his knees, rolled onto his back and covered his face with his hands. He rose and met Roddick with a hug, then raised his arms to the cheering crowd, tears in his eyes.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2005, 05:52 PM

He was incredible today. Fun stuff to watch!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 06:43 AM

Hopefully Roddick didn't buy two plane tickets home this time.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2005, 07:13 AM

Roger was even more excellent than usual. I love how he toyed with Roddick. He gave him some hope, then took it away.

This one didn't match the intensity and drama of the women's final, but Roger is always so breathtaking to watch.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 03:11 PM

"Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova will play in Wimbledon wearing exclusive golden versions of the Nike Air Zoom Vapor Speed. The shoes feature a rare gold material that contains 24-karat gold droplets surrounded by micro-prisms for strength and ultimate reflectivity."

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 04:27 PM

Unflappable Roger Federer won his 22nd straight final on Sunday, beating the exasperated American 6-3, 7-5 for the Cincinnati Masters championship and his ninth overall title this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 04:38 PM

Way to go, Rog! I love it when Roddick gets the beatdown. To his credit, he takes it so well.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 05:41 PM

Federer was a bit shakey this tournament, but he really unloaded on Roddick. I hate Roddick...hes a ****.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
Federer was a bit shakey this tournament, but he really unloaded on Roddick. I hate Roddick...hes a ****.
Truthfully, Federer wasn't even that great today. This is the first time I can remember Roddick hitting more aces. It must be nice when you can take 6 weeks off, play fairly well, and win yet another tournament.

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 11:22 PM

"Watching Federer, the defending champion and top seed, roll past Argentine David Nalbandian 6-2, 6-4, 6-1 Thursday night was like watching a rerun of a mediocre movie that has one star, no plot and no drama."

LOL!11

http://tinyurl.com/cmfps

He is making tennis as boring as cycling due to his domination, I think so too. I hope to God that he loses soon.
( Last edited by Fred_Cokebottle; Sep 8, 2005 at 11:29 PM. )

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fred_Cokebottle
He is making tennis as boring as cycling due to his domination, I think so too. I hope to God that he loses soon.
I wouldn't say it's boring, yes he makes it look easy and the result predictable, but it's watching near perfection on the court. Enjoy it, it's history in the making.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 04:28 AM

i watched him alittle bit last night, i saw he has only lost 3 times this year...unreal

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2005, 08:38 AM

The best part is that he's dismantling all of his old nemeses. He used to have problems with Nalbandian, Henman, and Hewitt, but now he's blowing them off the court... without even playing that well. I love it. A Federer match could never be boring to me.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fred_Cokebottle
The fact that you are watching (possibly) the greatest player in history should be an honor and a pleasure, not a bore or a burden. What could make it all better was if the second greatest player in history were also playing now so that there were epic battles.

Agassi-Blake was a good match.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 05:23 PM

6-3 federer!!

Go!!! Rogi!!!!

Wow!!! I am so lucky to be alive to watch him play in my lifetime!

He is right on top of his game after yesterdays game against Hewitt.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by amsalpemkcus
He is right on top of his game after yesterdays game against Hewitt.

I would be on top of Jennifer Love-Hewitt as well if I were Federer.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 06:25 PM

Atleast Agassi is making this match interesting. It would be crazy if he won the third set.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
Atleast Agassi is making this match interesting. It would be crazy if he won the third set.
Yeah for sure! Agassi seems to have put him in the defensive. Now not a lot of players have done that. This is going to be close. too bad Andre is a bit old otherwise in a situation like this he would be more stronger.

Edit: Man! thats just a bummer that tie-break for agassi...Federer is like a totally different animal in that tie-break!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 07:22 PM

Gotta love Federer. He sleepwalks through the match and then turns it on when he needs it. Just amazing! Andre was playing so well, but even he couldn't compete when Roger stepped up his play.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 07:50 PM

i really wanted andre to win and then maybe retire on a high note, stupid federer

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Sep 11, 2005, 08:06 PM

Federer is an assassin on the court. I was pulling for Agassi, but never really gave him a shot.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2005, 08:07 PM

I thought Federer played pretty poorly today, except when he needed to life his game in the third set tiebreak. Having said that, Andre played really well for those first three sets... making it a great match to watch.

I hope Andre doesn't retire If it was anyone but Federer, he would have won.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 08:14 PM

i have to admit feds was crazy good. he exudes "winning confidence". that look on his face is like he knows he's going to win.

anyway, i wish Roddick would stop making commercials and start practicing. i wouldn't mind as much if roddick was in this final. atleast roddick has that youthful energy to pull from. agassi got murdered in that last set. i was watching football and I turned back and he's down 5-0.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 08:20 PM

It wouldn't have been anywhere near that close if Roddick had made it.

Originally Posted by nredman
i really wanted andre to win and then maybe retire on a high note
Don't hold your breath. Andre isn't going to get the Sampras exit. He's done winning slams. This was his best shot, but he never really had a shot at all.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 09:01 PM

The depressing part for the rest of the players is that Roger was NOT sharp today. He was not comfortable with the backhand return and he was off on a lot of his passing shots... And he still demoralized Agassi. Way to go Fed

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 10:02 PM

Andre surely exposed some chinks in Rogi's armor though on that backhand side. If not for a very high percentage first serves for Federer, he would have been in more of a soup in that third set and it would not have gone to tie-break. Actually it must be quite frustrating to play consistently well against Federer. Just when his backhands are really not clicking because Andre was really testing it out, his serves compensated for that weakness when it mattered. You also cannot afford to even relax. Oh boy! I wonder how this guy can be stopped, he's like a runaway train! Great match it was though! Thanks Andre, I hope the others learnt from what you did today! What a classic game!1

The first man since Donald Budge in 1938 to win Wimbledon and the US Open two years back-to-back!

Agassi probably aged a lot during this final.

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Sep 11, 2005 at 10:24 PM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 10:09 PM

I think the only person left who can beat Federer is Kournikova.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 10:09 PM

from what i remember — Sampras was more dominating.

federer is more like a boring, patient, no mistake you to death guy.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 10:11 PM

I wouldn't say Andre exposed anything. Roger's backhand isn't a weakness. Andy Roddick's backhand is a weakness. Roger just wasn't hitting it well (just like the match against Hewitt). It began to click in the tiebreak and... well, we saw what happened then.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I wouldn't say Andre exposed anything. Roger's backhand isn't a weakness. Andy Roddick's backhand is a weakness. Roger just wasn't hitting it well (just like the match against Hewitt). It began to click in the tiebreak and... well, we saw what happened then.
Yeah compared to others his backhand may be not that weak, but hey, thats all you got to exploit when you play against this guy. I dont think you can push him around in any other areas.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
Sampras knew how to do one thing well and that was serve and volley, I don't think he had anywhere near the all court game that Federer has, which is why many think he is the best one in the history of the game so far.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 10:53 PM

what is tennis? mostly serving and volleying.

when federer wins as many as sampras does (majors) — then he will be THE GREATEST IN TENNIS HISTORY!

anyway, roddick needs to get better so federer can have a rival. federer beats a bunch of losers for 10 years, that won't help him either. he needs an arch nemesis that can bring out the best in him. [i say roddick because hewitt is an ass, but i suppose it could be somebody else. i dont mind watching roddick serve though. ]

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 10:59 PM

federer is more like a boring, patient, no mistake you to death guy.
I'd have to disagree with that (and so would Agassi). It was much easier to hold your serve against Sampras because he'd take return games off. Likewise, although Sampras was #1 for a long time, he never had a year like either of the last two for Federer. Even at his best, Sampras never had fewer than 11 losses in a single year. Federer won three Grand Slams last year (Pete never won more than 2 in a year) and finished 74-6. In 2005, he's 71-3! He's also won his last 23 straight finals. That's what I'd call dominant.

what is tennis? mostly serving and volleying.
No, it's mostly serving and returning. Sampras's return game was much, much weaker than Federer's.

Here is Agassi's opinion:
"He plays the game in a very special way that I haven't seen before," said Agassi, who played so many memorable matches against Sampras and other champions. "I think he's the best I've played against. He's the only guy I've ever played against you hold serve to go 1-0 and you think all right, good. And I'm not just making fun of it.

"There's a sense of urgency on every point, on every shot. It's an incredible challenge. I certainly didn't have enough today."

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 11:37 PM

when federer wins as many as sampras does (majors) — then he will be THE GREATEST IN TENNIS HISTORY!
"The first thing you have to assess is why did you lose," "I just lost to a guy that's better. There's only so long you can deny it. He's the best I've ever played against." - Agassi

oh, also Sampras lost to Federer wimbledon 2001 fourth round, i think thats the last time they faced off, if i am not mistaken

btw, what's with Sampras and the royal bank of scotland? those comercials make him sound so lame!! looks like they own him!

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Sep 11, 2005 at 11:50 PM. )

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 10:57 AM

Got himself a nice Lexus in the process! Lucky bastard! Wonder what he drives normally.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

cavepainter
Sep 12, 2005, 11:15 PM

Maybe non-sequitur at this point, but the thread asks opinion on most talented ever.
My take:
1) Laver
2) McEnroe/Borg (tie)
3) everyone else

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 11:34 PM

Congratulations! Not even McEnroe thinks he's that high on the list.

cavepainter
Sep 13, 2005, 12:31 AM

I would say if you put all recorded shots on a reel...
McEnroe would have more shots that make you say "Oh my!" than say, Sampras.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 12:58 AM

You think so? I can't think of one shot of McEnroe's that was better than Sampras's. Volleys are probably a push, because they were both excellent volleyers. They were both great servers, but Sampras has a clear edge there. He was also quicker around the court (not that McEnroe was slow by any stretch) and more athletic. In many ways, they're very similar. I guess McEnroe was a better returner than Sampras, but I'd still say Sampras was more talented. Of course, I think Federer is much more complete than both of them, because he's the first player I've seen who literally does everything well.

cavepainter
Sep 13, 2005, 08:47 AM

Maybe it's like "rock songs are never as good as when you were a kid." (showing my age abit)
But, McEnroe's game seemed more exciting.
Sampras just seemed to put relentless pressure; no mistakes. But few shots made my jaw drop.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 11:44 AM

In addition to his shot making prowess, McEnroe's court-side antics and persona had a lot to do with his game and the excitability of his plays. Sampras was almost always a heavy, water-logged rug that eventually just smother his opponents. Federer combines some of the best of them and adds his own mastery that seems to take him to another level altogether when his game is fully on. Yet it is one of the rare instances of when inevitability does not entail yawning -- it is beautiful stuff, the way this guy paints the courts with a lot of his absurd angles, accuracy, and power.

Okay, enough metaphors for the day.
I, ASIMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules