Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wii - Virtual Console

Wii - Virtual Console
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 12:10 PM

Now that E3 is finished, I have a new confidence for the Wii. The Virtual Console hasn't been discussed much in these forums, but it's been on my mind quite a bit. I want to know which games you guys are looking forward to or are hoping for on the Virtual Console. Here's a few I've thought about...

Mario All-Stars
I swear I must've played this game (or games, however you'd like to look at it) for months without thinking about it. Mario Brothers 1-3, and an additional title previously released on in Japan - all with updated graphics. I freaked out over this game, and the thought of having it on my Wii gets me giddy.

WWF No Mercy / Wrestlemania 2000 / WCW/nWo Revenge
I'm kind of skeptical as to whether or not these will be released, due to licensing issues and such, but these were my favorite wrestling games of all time, and I'd hate it if they didn't come out. My fingers are crossed on this one.

Mario 64
Sure, it's a no-brainer and I know that I can pick up a slightly different version for my DS, or even pull out the old N64, but I want it on the Virtual Console controller. This was my favorite game of the PS1/N64 years.

Goldeneye
This title truly introduced me to first-person shooter multiplayer addiction. I couldn't believe how much I loved it, and I'd love to take it for a spin right now.

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Hogan's Alley (PLEASE!)
Excite Bike
Double Dribble
Jackal
Metal Gear

Are there any that you guys have on your wish list?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 12:52 PM

I kept all my originals so no.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 12:57 PM

The games I'm Interested In:

Legend of Zelda
Super Mario World
Can't decide between All Stars and the originals...
Super Metroid
Zelda: Link to the Past
Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3
Sonic and Knuckles
Marble Madness
Vectorman
Sonic Spinball
Ecco the Dolphin
Zelda 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario 64
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 01:39 PM

Sorry, but no Goldeneye for Virtual Console anytime soon

Virtual Console: Rareless
Well, here's something interesting from the Game Developers Conference 2006. Met with some Rare / Microsoft people who confirmed once and for all that Revolution's Virtual Console will not see any Rare-owned licenses. What does that mean? No-gos include Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Not happening on Revolution. Neither are gamers likely to see Goldeneye 007, unless both Rare and new license holder EA commit it to Nintendo's platform.

On a brighter note, any title developed by Rare that is fully owned by Nintendo could very well show up on the Virtual Console. Donkey Kong 64. Diddy Kong Racing. You get the point.

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/03/26/7367/
I don't mind not having Goldeneye since I still have N64 cart but I want Blast Corps on VC They most likely will be released through Xbox360 Live

( Last edited by Adam Betts; May 17, 2006 at 01:47 PM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 01:45 PM

*dismay*

On another note, I can't believe I forgot Super Metroid.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 02:00 PM

Seeing as how I still have all of these systems and about 300 games, it's hard to get excited for a virtual console.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Seeing as how I still have all of these systems and about 300 games, it's hard to get excited for a virtual console.
True, but there are so many out there like me who haven't kept them. I sold every system I previously owned in order to scrape together money for the new systems. The Virtual Console is my only way of getting them back, at least legally.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 02:38 PM

Understood, but I'm not sure the virtual console is targeted at people who have all of the old systems and games. I think it's trying to target people who don't have these, by giving them a legal outlet to easily purchase games for the older systems. It's an interesting tactic, and I'll be fascinated to see how (and if) it works out.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
True, but there are so many out there like me who haven't kept them. I sold every system I previously owned in order to scrape together money for the new systems. The Virtual Console is my only way of getting them back, at least legally.

You can get these game for $3 on ebay. Super Nintendo's for $30.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

sabrejim
May 17, 2006, 03:31 PM

But with a virtual console you don't have to worry about old hardware breaking down.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 03:37 PM

Or blowing dust off NES cart =P

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 03:42 PM

That's part of the aesthetic experience, like taking vinyl out of its cover

edit: plus, isn't it a bit emasculating to spend money twice over for kiddy games? It's time to grow up, gen-x.

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
But with a virtual console you don't have to worry about old hardware breaking down.
Ya you can worry about your new system breaking down.

Common, that was a bad excuse. even if it did bust you can get another one on ebay which is less then the shipping will cost you to send your new unit into Nintendo when the warranty expires.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 03:49 PM

Right, so I can pay $50 and get a Super Nintendo that will take up a bunch more space, is probably nearing the end of its life, doesn't easily connect to my modern TV and will need to be switched out when I want to play another old system — or I can avoid the hassle, not pay anything extra and play the games on my Wii. Decisions, decisions…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
or I can avoid the hassle, not pay anything extra and play the games on my Wii. Decisions, decisions…
Wow, nintendo is offering all these games free? I take it back!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 03:53 PM

Having the old consoles is cool. I have them hooked up to the TV in my guest bedroom.

You can hook them up to any TV. What TV doesn't have RCA and Coax jacks anyway? They all do.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 03:56 PM

Right, so I can pay $50 and get a Super Nintendo that will take up a bunch more space, is probably nearing the end of its life, doesn't easily connect to my modern TV and will need to be switched out when I want to play another old system — or I can avoid the hassle, not pay anything extra and play the games on my Wii. Decisions, decisions…
I just thought I'd point out you said "...on my Wii...," which although juvinile I find funny.
( Last edited by MacManMikeOSX; May 17, 2006 at 04:03 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 04:02 PM

You can hook them up to any TV. What TV doesn't have RCA and Coax jacks anyway? They all do.
Ya I didn't get what he was talking about either. In fact on new TV's people always have them open as not much uses them anymore.

The Nintendo - N64 all had RCA ports.

Nintendo also said the virtual games will not have enhanced graphics which sucks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 04:12 PM

Most new TVs have the jacks on the front too. I can just pull my console out of the closet and plug it into the front when I feel like it.

But I actually have my NES and SNES hooked up to my HDTV all the time. My N64, PS1, Atari, Genesis and Dreamcast are in the closet though.

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 04:16 PM

I just bought a SNES for my boyfriend as he don't like 3D games.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The Nintendo - N64 all had RCA ports.
The American NES, and later versions of the Japanese Famicom, all had RCA ports built into the system (the original Famicom did not). I don't know about the European NES.

The SNES through the Gamecube had no "standard" video ports built into the machine. Instead they used a special connector which carried Composite (the single RCA jack, usually yellow), S-Video (sometimes incorrectly called S-VHS), and RGB signals. Modern GameCube video cables are backward-compatible all the way back to the SNES, and vice versa; I've tested this one out myself. The GameCube calls this port "ANALOG OUT".

Older GameCubes also have a "DIGITAL OUT" video port. I don't know why they call it this, since it doesn't actually do digital video. It's there for component video, which is still analog. In any case, newer GameCubes do not have this port; according to Nintendo, not many people were using it. This may be why they didn't include HDMI or progressive-scan capabilities on the Wii: their market research showed that people aren't using it, so they see no demand.

At least in theory, it should be possible to make a component video cable which fits the ANALOG OUT port. This would require some conversion from the RGB/SCART format to the YUV format used by component video, but it may actually be possible to do this losslessly. However, I've not seen any cables on the market that do this.
Nintendo also said the virtual games will not have enhanced graphics which sucks.
Why? Enhanced graphics will not make these games better.
( Last edited by Millennium; May 17, 2006 at 04:36 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 04:32 PM

Having the old consoles is cool. I have them hooked up to the TV in my guest bedroom.

I said "easily." Mine does, but it's in an annoying place that's hard to reach. Switching between all the different systems was a big enough pain when my TV seemed intended to have something plugged in there and I didn't have a more convenient option. All the cords drive me batty.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 10:14 PM

I said "easily." Mine does, but it's in an annoying place that's hard to reach. Switching between all the different systems was a big enough pain when my TV seemed intended to have something plugged in there and I didn't have a more convenient option. All the cords drive me batty.
Not to mention the more you use older hardware, the more likely it is to fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeN8y...ch=Wii%20sonic

mmmmm... Sonic. Can't wait to get my hands on that.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 10:22 PM

Sonic is awesome. I already bought the Mega Collection. I hope Wii has Chaotix, though. I remember I liked that game back when it was out, but it's never been rereleased.
Chuck
___

sabrejim
May 18, 2006, 07:53 AM

But SNES doesnt have component video out!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 09:07 AM

Sonic is awesome. I already bought the Mega Collection. I hope Wii has Chaotix, though. I remember I liked that game back when it was out, but it's never been rereleased.
Wasn't Chaotix released on the 32X, though? I don't know of any current Genesis emulators that can handle 32X games. Of course, if Nintendo has the official specs from Sega (which they probably do), then I suppose they could do it, but I haven't heard anything about them doing that.

It would be nifty, though.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

Tecmo Bowl. Nuff said.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Marble Madness
That'd be awesome with the Wii's controller.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 12:50 PM

Super Mario 64. Best. Game. Ever.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Wasn't Chaotix released on the 32X, though? I don't know of any current Genesis emulators that can handle 32X games. Of course, if Nintendo has the official specs from Sega (which they probably do), then I suppose they could do it, but I haven't heard anything about them doing that.

It would be nifty, though.
Well I'll be damned; it looks like the Windows side has several 32X-capable Genesis emulators. No love for the Mac side, though

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

Yeah. They also have Sega CD emulators, unlike us. I've been wanting to make a Cheap Windows Box just for emulation. But I'd rather get a Wii if it actually has a good selection of games (which it sounds like it might).
Chuck
___

sabrejim
May 18, 2006, 01:40 PM

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted

Okay

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Tecmo Bowl. Nuff said.
Tecmo Super Bowl........

The game that introduced me to an entire season of football with league leaders, complete stat tracking, real schedules. I cherished this game.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; May 18, 2006 at 02:48 PM. )

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2006, 03:43 PM

I can't wait to pay again for Super Mario World, Mario 64, Pilot Wings 64. And Super Pang.

Is this all supposed to get stored on SD Memory cards or something?
tin pot, garden shed

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by OB1
I can't wait to pay again for Super Mario World, Mario 64, Pilot Wings 64. And Super Pang.

Is this all supposed to get stored on SD Memory cards or something?
There is 512 MB built in, although the Wii has USB for other kinds of storage.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 05:56 PM

They should use those USB ports to let you store games on your iPod

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
They should use those USB ports to let you store games on your iPod
I believe you can store games on your iPod with the USB ports. Nintendo said any mass storage device works.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 07:05 PM

That'd be flippin sweet!

MM-o4
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I sold every system I previously owned in order to scrape together money for the new systems.
LOL me too!1! (wipes tear from eye)

It was always a struggle to keep up with the consoles when your on crap pocket money.
Those were the days. Now I have money to buy which ever system or all three. But me thinks
most likely a Wii, if not a Playstation 3.

MM

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4
LOL me too!1! (wipes tear from eye)

It was always a struggle to keep up with the consoles when your on crap pocket money.
Those were the days. Now I have money to buy which ever system or all three. But me thinks
most likely a Wii, if not a Playstation 3.

MM
At 12 years old, I had a $5 a week allowance, almost always put towards saving for a game/console. I'd have to work my butt off doing little yard jobs for neighbors or friends' families if I wanted something new that might cost a little more. Selling the old SNES helped a lot when the N64 came out.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
There is 512 MB built in, although the Wii has USB for other kinds of storage.
The Wii can also deal with SD memory cards.

I wonder if the games will be stored in the same formats that current emulators use. I'm guessing not, at least for the downloaded games, but it would be very interesting if the Virtual Console could handle those formats.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 10:21 PM

Super Mario Kart
Mario 64
and probably the original Super Mario Brothers for NES.

Forum Links
Forum Rules