Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Earndhardt Jr in play.. time for Apple to sponsor?

Earndhardt Jr in play.. time for Apple to sponsor?
jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 11:22 AM

I've always thought Apple should be involved in the fastest growing spectator sport... NASCAR racing...

Now that Dale Earndhardt Jr is "in play" looking for a Chevy team, and a major Chevy team (Gibbs) has expressed displeasure regarding Bud as Jr's current sponsor, perhaps Apple has a rare opportunity to jump in and market to a new audience that is horribly lacking accurate info regarding Apple, Macs, and MacOS X/iLife...

I'd love to see a series of Ads featuring families taking photos, video, etc of NASCAR events, and their favorite driver (Jr), in iLife and creating photobooks and DVDs... An opportunity to *show* some of the unique Mac experience... Perhaps a unique "vehicle" to show some of the MacOS X Leopard "Top Secret features" .. even iChat Theater.... And maybe one "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC, and I'm Dale Earndhardt Jr.." ad... ;-)

I'd love to see Apple grab this major opportunity to spread the Mac message to the fastest growing spectator sports audience ...

Just my $0.02US

Thoughts?

jwd

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2007, 11:58 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooo

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooo

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 14, 2007, 12:46 PM

Nope, won't happen.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 12:47 PM

It'd be a waste of their money.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2007, 12:52 PM

Almost as bad as Daimler buying Chrysler.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 12:57 PM

Sounds great to me...
WORST IDEA EVER™

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 12:59 PM

Alright, we're agreed? That's a ban, then.

design219
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 01:01 PM

Your 3rd post in seven years?

Well, Pixar studied NASCAR for the Cars flick, so who knows? But, I don't see it happening.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 01:47 PM

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 03:13 PM

nascar fans buy their computers at walmart

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2007, 04:04 PM

ice

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 04:11 PM

That just might say it all.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 04:14 PM

It could work out for Apple, it would help them get more conservative people to buy Macs. At my school (I use my Mac at school) the majority of kids are conservative and when they see my MacBook they say "hey ain't dat one of dem queer computers?" (referring to Apples old logo).
Signature depreciated.

design219
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
... they say "hey ain't dat one of dem queer computers?" (referring to Apples old logo).
Yeah, as opposed to rainbow-ie colored Windows logo. Nothing symbolic about that.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

finboy
May 14, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post

I'd love to see Apple grab this major opportunity to spread the Mac message to the fastest growing spectator sports audience ...

I can just imagine what 1) the Apple car would look like, and 2) what the driver would say when it continuously overheated or the battery exploded.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I can just imagine what 1) the Apple car would look like, and 2) what the driver would say when it continuously overheated or the battery exploded.
All of his fans would claim for years that his different engine was far superior even though he was losing every race, only to end up switching to the same engine as everyone else.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 05:14 PM

All of his fans would claim for years that his different engine was far superior even though he was losing every race, only to end up switching to the same engine as everyone else.
But it would crash much less than a car that was sponsored by Microsoft.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 05:21 PM

Unfortunately, the Apple car's hood can only be opened by an authorized dealer so the car can't really be upgraded. Apple just expects people to buy the new model when it comes out.

highstakes
Senior User
May 14, 2007, 05:21 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooo
Well said!

No need to degrade Apple's image

jwdsail  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 05:38 PM

Well,

Didn't expect everyone to agree, but had hoped for more thought out, mature responses than a few of the above.. Don’t know what I could have been thinking..

My final thoughts on the subject -

Dale Jr becoming a free agent is a rare and unique opportunity for Apple, and I hope they take it and “Drive it like they stole it”.

NASCAR is the fastest growing spectator sport on Earth. Dale Jr is the most popular driver in that fast growing sport. Personally, I think Apple’s marketing people would be incompetent to not at least look into this.

'Nothing does it like NASCAR' - CNBC TV - MSNBC.com

The above link is a story that shows some interesting demographic data that backs this idea. The medium income of the average NASCAR fan is $60,000, higher than the US national average. NASCAR fans are also very brand loyal, and go out of their way to support NASCAR sponsors. This is a consumer product company’s dream come true. The ROI, if taken proper advantage of, would be significant.

As far as the ‘NASCAR fans buy their PCs at WalMart’... and “degrade Apple’s image” remarks.. I never got where people got the impression that Mac users were stuck-up elitist snobs before.. thanks for clearing that up.. I guess I just imagined the 4 Macs infront of me, and the Macs several of my clients own, one of whom travels to both Talladega and Daytona every year... I don’t think he got the RV he drives to the tracks at WalMart, or the Sat dish, or the HDTV.. I know for a fact the Macs he owns didn’t come from WalMart... Yeah, Apple should ignore those undesirables... No buying power there at all...

I don’t see any “waste of money” here. I see potential growth by taking advantage of a unique opportunity.

I think it is at least worth some thought.

I'd say see ya in another 7 years, but can't think one one reason I'd want to...

jwd

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 05:40 PM

What about a Pixar sponsored car painted up like "Lightning McQueen"?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 06:22 PM

Hey, cool! Snootiness!
Let's kill him and eat his flesh.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2007, 06:57 PM

apple in Formula 1 yes.

apple in Nascar no.

jwdsail, take it easy.

you've been registered here 7 years and didn't know what kind of response you'd get out of the lounge folk to a suggestion that ~apple should sponsor dale barnyard~ ??
ice

jayjay25_7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 05:11 PM

Jr. will stay with Budweiser. If Gibbs can't get over his morality issue with a beer sponsorship, then maybe he should reconsider his affiliation with NASCAR in general. So you're telling me RFK stadium (or whatever the stadium's name is now) doesn't have any beer sponsors? Where's the issue with that Gibbs?

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 05:30 PM

reposted for emphasis
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by jwdsail
had hoped for more thought out, mature responses than a few of the above.
They should have barrels of pork rinds in Apple stores, too.

How's that?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
It could work out for Apple, it would help them get more conservative people to buy Macs. At my school (I use my Mac at school) the majority of kids are conservative and when they see my MacBook they say "hey ain't dat one of dem queer computers?" (referring to Apples old logo).
I don't know where you live but you need to move.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 07:43 AM

For one thing NASCAR is NOT the fastest growing spectator sport, in fact there was no growth last year. Attendance was down at a number of their large tracks and tv ratings were flat (at best).

Secondly you need to know your customers, and the customer base of NASCAR is not your typical apple customer base nor will they ever be.

Finally I'm not sure if the cost of being a major sponsor is a good use of the marketing money, its a huge investment.
Michael

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2007, 12:09 PM

again, just ridiculous.
ice

macroy
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jayjay25_7 View Post
JSo you're telling me RFK stadium (or whatever the stadium's name is now) doesn't have any beer sponsors? Where's the issue with that Gibbs?
RFK is a completely different stadium located inside D.C. Their current home is FedEX field, located in Landover, MD - East of D.C. It was originally named for the Redskin's previous owner - Jack Kent Cook. Daniel Snyder sold the rights to FedEx after he purchased the team.

As for the OP's suggestion. Do the companies sponsor him or the racing team (i.e. DEI). I guess my question is whether or not his sponsorship is open because he's changing teams.

But I would not agree with Apple going with NASCAR. Despite the popularity of the sport (sigh), it doesn't exactly fit Apples demographics IN GENERAL.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post
I'd say see ya in another 7 years, but can't think one one reason I'd want to...
Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules