Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Brand New 12" PowerBook

Brand New 12" PowerBook
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 11:58 PM

I could not wait for a PowerMac update any longer.

I was in the Apple Store during lunch with a coworker and could not resist the temptation. The 12" PowerBook is just the right size!

Tiny, yet powerful.

I love the keyboard. Stiffer than the earlier models. Very nice.

Minor bad news. A dead pixel (black). No sweat though. I hardly notice it and couldn't care less.

I need to get some more ram now, of course.

Also, GarageBand would not even run. I didn't expect it to work well with only 256 meg ram, but I did expect it to at least open up. I'll add another 512 meg and see if that fixes it.

Other than those two minor issues, it is a GREAT laptop.

Built-in AirCard Extreme is sweet.

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 03:24 AM

Talk about impulse buy.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 10:47 AM

Minor bad news. A dead pixel (black). No sweat though. I hardly notice it and couldn't care less. [/B]
Run the Apple Hardware Test CD and just maybe when it runs the video test, the pixel might come back. My 15" PB screen had to have a new LCD due to white spots. It came with a stuck pixel. I was actually with much pressure able to turn it back on. It has been lit up since.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Run the Apple Hardware Test CD and just maybe when it runs the video test, the pixel might come back. My 15" PB screen had to have a new LCD due to white spots. It came with a stuck pixel. I was actually with much pressure able to turn it back on. It has been lit up since.
How successful is this video test (usually) at turning on these dead pixels?

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
How successful is this video test (usually) at turning on these dead pixels?
I don't know. I massaged mine back to life. I used a damp sponge and rubbed hard on the LCD over the pixel. The genius at the Apple store told me about the CD test maybe working. Can't hurt. You get the Hardware test with your PB.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:28 AM

I only have the stock 256 meg at the moment.

But GarageBand won't even run at all.

And I had Safari, iTunes and Acquisition open only and OSX locked up so bad I had to cold boot the laptop. This has happened twice now.

I was mass downloading files in Acq v108.3

OSX has locked up more in 1 day on my PowerBook than WinXP has in the last 2 months. Not happy about that at all. :-(

More memory is certainly called for, BUT, it should not cause the OS to lockup. Virtual memory makes up for it (albeit slowly due to accessing the hard drive), so that should not have been a problem.

And certainly not enough to lockup the entire OS.

Any ideas?

I guess I'll get the Hardware Test CD out and give it a whirl first.

The dead pixel is fine with me.

1024 meg = $454
512 meg = $149

Seems the 512 is the better deal.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 11:34 AM

If that is happening, the ram in the machine already might be bad.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

gostan
Apr 24, 2004, 11:42 AM

$454.00 for 1gb ram is way tooo expensive. I am waiting for delivery of a 1gb samsung memory module from 1800memorytogo for $319.00. At that price the 1gb makes sense over a 512mb.

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 11:46 AM

You should buy more ram for sure. Buy a 512 or higher. After you bought it did you run Software Update to bring it totally up to date? After that you should Repair Permissions. Applications - Utilities- Disk Utility.

larryiskewl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 12:08 PM

I would like to buy one of the new 12" Powerbooks but I own an old PB G4 15" 1.25ghz so needless to say i don't have the $
http://www.macheaven.tk
Mac Heaven: Where The Mac and
Heaven Meet!

Zim
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
iTunes and Acquisition open only and OSX locked up so bad I had to cold boot the laptop. This has happened twice now.

I was mass downloading files in Acq v108.3

OSX has locked up more in 1 day on my PowerBook than WinXP has in the last 2 months. Not happy about that at all. :-(
See this thread... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=199524

Seems to be an issue with heavy network usage. Your machine may be just fine.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules