Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No heat!!!

No heat!!!
bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 05:30 AM

My roommate and I live in this luxury condo, costing almost $4k per month. Comes with it's own central heat/air, washer/dryer etc. Last night I noticed it was cold so I turned up the heat. No improvement. I did it again and again and again. No dice. Call landlord. Finally this evening a plumber/heating guy comes over, looks at it and diagnoses an electrical problem. Says only an electrician can fix.

So we're going on 2 nights in this FREEZING condo. Brrrrr......

And the dryer doens't work, the landlady didn't get anyone here for weeks to look at it so we called Maytag and got the bill. Gave it to her and now she's giving us a hard time saying she "was going to have it repaired". Whatever.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2006, 06:02 AM

$4000 per month is pretty dang steep.

(not even discussing broken heaters and dryers!)
ice

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
My roommate and I live in this luxury condo, costing almost $4k per month. Comes with it's own central heat/air, washer/dryer etc. Last night I noticed it was cold so I turned up the heat. No improvement. I did it again and again and again. No dice. Call landlord. Finally this evening a plumber/heating guy comes over, looks at it and diagnoses an electrical problem. Says only an electrician can fix.
Wait a minute . . . You're in school but can afford half the rent on a $4000 luxury condo? That must be nice. And a $4000 condo in Cambridge must be *really* nice. When I was in school I had to make-do with a $400 bedroom in a group house.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Wait a minute . . . You're in school but can afford half the rent on a $4000 luxury condo? That must be nice. And a $4000 condo in Cambridge must be *really* nice. When I was in school I had to make-do with a $400 bedroom in a group house.
Yeah, it is nice. Here's how it happens....

This is a three bedroom, 2 bath condo with a HUGE living/dining room. The kitchen is all new with a dishwasher, brand new range/stove, microwave, granite counters, etc. The place is stunning with new hardwood floors, new bathrooms, etc etc. In short- it's luxury.

And it costs me less than the 1 bedroom I rented last year where I had no central AC, old boilers, creaking floors, noisy neighbors.

The beauty of having roommates and the smallest room in the place. I also take out the trash, clean the kitchen, floors and bathroom for a bit of a discount on the rent.

But all of this hasn't solved the problem that WE HAVE NO HEAT! (and the dryer still doesn't work)

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 09:33 AM

Electric blankets are your friend.

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:33 AM

Does it have a fireplace?

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 21, 2006, 09:34 AM

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:36 AM

No fireplace. That would be nice, tho.

The electrician just showed up about 10 minutes ago. Gonna check on it now.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:47 AM

Just went to the basement to check and he's gone, tho his tools are all over the floor and wires laying around. I see he has compared the working unit (for upstairs) to ours. I hope he;s out getting a wire or somethign he needs.

The thermostat shows it is 59 degrees in here. Gah!

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 09:48 AM

No heat is a pain. A few years ago I was living in Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia. Russia decided to shut off the gas and then the power went out... we (and 5 million other people in the country) went for 10 days in January with no heat, electricity or water. Flat was down to 3 degrees (C). I have a new found appreciation for such things as electricity.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 09:50 AM

The thermostat shows it is 59 degrees in here. Gah!
Good lord, dude. Back when I had to pay for oil heating that's what I kept my living room at. And I kept heat from escaping upstairs, so I slept in like 50º weather.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Good lord, dude. Back when I had to pay for oil heating that's what I kept my living room at. And I kept heat from escaping upstairs, so I slept in like 50º weather.
I am an avid outdoors man. I have spent MANY freezing nights in tents. I've camped in almost blizzards and spend many weeks of the year in tents where the closest electricity is your car 3 days hike away. I can sleep just fine in 59 degrees, but when paying a total of almost 4k a month it quickly gets to you.

And the dryer still doesn't work. Grrrr.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 09:54 AM

but when paying a total of almost 4k a month it quickly gets to you.
Yeah, that's right. I'd get irritated too.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Yeah, that's right. I'd get irritated too.
And I am.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:20 AM

I gathered that.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2006, 10:20 AM

Even the most basic of apartments must have heat.

And all landlords are obligated to provide the servicing of the applicances that come with the apartment, like the furnace.

If the landlord does not move in a prompt time, you need to send them a letter stating that they have to provide for that service in a reasonable time - check what the law says if anything, and use the law's timeline - otherwise just state :if this is not fixed by (date within 1 week of postmark) then we will hire a serviceman and send you the bill, expecting it to be paid within 30 days of receipt.

The point is to make a paper trail and give reasonable deadlines.

Heat in the winter? that's got to be faster of course - unless she wishes you to freeze to death.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 10:32 AM

$4000/mo for a 3 bedroom condo? You're getting ripped off. You could buy a condo like that in Cambridge and pay less than $3000/mo on your mortgage (I'm about to buy one in Somerville and pay less than $2000/mo).

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
$4000/mo for a 3 bedroom condo? You're getting ripped off. You could buy a condo like that in Cambridge and pay less than $3000/mo on your mortgage (I'm about to buy one in Somerville and pay less than $2000/mo).
You have to see the place and you'll understand why it costs so much.

And it's more like $3700 a month.

I wouldn't ever want to live in Slumerville, no offense.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 10:39 AM

I've been looking at tons of condos in the area for a while now. They're all pretty much the same, even when it was different developers doing the rehab. What's the square footage and where's it located?

As for Somerville, we've been looking exclusively around Davis an Porter Sqs. The place we're getting is literally right on the Somerville/Cambridge line by Porter. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from there to Harvard Sq, but we still only have to pay Somerville costs and taxes.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:44 AM

WE HAVE HEAT!!!!!!! YAY!

Finally.....I am much happier now. The electrician who came is the same who redid the building. He got it fixed in 30 minutes. Not bad.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:46 AM

Cue countdown until it's too hot.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:49 AM

Heh. That's too funny. We have full control over the actual temperature, assuming the furnace is working.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:51 AM

Yeah, make sure that thing isn't still cranked up from when you were trying to get it to work.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:58 AM

Already set it to 70. Will be much nicer than the 58 is was at overnight.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 11:04 AM

What a pompous statement. Here you are regaling us with your travails in a luxury condo and tell someone they are about to move to a slum... and then say "no offense". When someone says "no offense"... they specifically intend on offending.

I've been looking at tons of condos in the area for a while now. They're all pretty much the same, even when it was different developers doing the rehab. What's the square footage and where's it located?

As for Somerville, we've been looking exclusively around Davis an Porter Sqs. The place we're getting is literally right on the Somerville/Cambridge line by Porter. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from there to Harvard Sq, but we still only have to pay Somerville costs and taxes.
Dude... don't apologize for moving to Somerville. Tell the spoiled brat where to go...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Dude... don't apologize for moving to Somerville. Tell the spoiled brat where to go...
I wasn't apologizing... I was explaining our motivations. Personally I prefer Somerville to Cambridge. Parts of Cambridge are nice (Harvard Sq. for example), but parts of it are pretty crappy (Central Sq., and even Kendall Sq. to some extent). Same is true for Somerville, but I like the atmosphere and people in Somerville better. And Porter Sq. (where we're moving to) kicks ass.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 12:21 PM

I wasn't apologizing... I was explaining our motivations. Personally I prefer Somerville to Cambridge. Parts of Cambridge are nice (Harvard Sq. for example), but parts of it are pretty crappy (Central Sq., and even Kendall Sq. to some extent). Same is true for Somerville, but I like the atmosphere and people in Somerville better. And Porter Sq. (where we're moving to) kicks ass.
Well.. maybe I'm just cranky this morning... but I found his post dripping with condescension.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 12:43 PM

Geez. Like $1500/mo can get you a penthouse condo in my town.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Well.. maybe I'm just cranky this morning... but I found his post dripping with condescension.
Yeah, it was. I was just ignoring it.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 01:32 PM

The nicest complexes around here cost no more than 1500/month. I can't believe it's that much where you are.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

andi*pandi
Nov 21, 2006, 01:42 PM

Slummerville is an old common nickname for Somerville. But I don't think it applies anymore, a lot of nice places there, refurbs, etc.

we had our heat go out in Somerville, the landlord was pretty quick about sending someone, although we did have to go down and describe the problem over the phone first.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Slummerville is an old common nickname for Somerville. But I don't think it applies anymore, a lot of nice places there, refurbs, etc.

we had our heat go out in Somerville, the landlord was pretty quick about sending someone, although we did have to go down and describe the problem over the phone first.
Somehow I never realized that you were from around here... Although I suppose I didn't know much about the area at all when I was living in California.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 02:42 PM

Already set it to 70. Will be much nicer than the 58 is was at overnight.
I find anything over 64 uncomfortably hot.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Clearly Somerville is no longer the slums. I was just being sarcastic before. I fear that if I were to actually buy something it would be in Somerville, but I have few intentions on remaining in this area after I graduate in 26 years from now.

Sorry if I offended. I think it was the freezing cold.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I find anything over 64 uncomfortably hot.
Isn't that just because you're a hairy beast-man?
ice

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 07:37 PM

Clearly Somerville is no longer the slums. I was just being sarcastic before. I fear that if I were to actually buy something it would be in Somerville, but I have few intentions on remaining in this area after I graduate in 26 years from now.

26 years?!? Are you trying to get a degree at every single university around here?

Or are you -8 years old?

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 07:44 PM

26 years?!? Are you trying to get a degree at every single university around here?

Or are you -8 years old?
Sarcastic, again. More like 6 years. I have to complete my current program in biology and then head to medical school, but I doubt med school will be in this area but we shall see.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 07:47 PM

Sarcastic, again. More like 6 years. I have to complete my current program in biology and then head to medical school, but I doubt med school will be in this area but we shall see.
Yeah, I figured. Just thought I'd go with it for fun.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 08:11 PM

Fun fact #1: The freezing point of water is 32° F.

Fun fact #2: 58° F is higher than 32° F.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 08:13 PM

protip: opened oven set on broil + box fan = heat in a pinch.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
protip: opened oven set on broil + box fan = heat in a pinch.
One of the bathrooms has an electric heater build into the ceiling fan. I spent a lot of time in there.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2006, 08:36 PM

It is 62F in my room right now.
It'll be lower than that soon. That is "normal" because heat is expensive. The thermostat kicks it up to 68 at wakeup / shower time, and at shower / sleep time.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 08:56 PM

I live an RV.

Regardless of heater, there is a constant draft.

Today, it hit 38˚ in GA.

Joy. Oh and did I mention it's raining.

I sure wish someone would pay my $2K/mo. rent (if I had one)

I pay $300/month.

Just put a bid on a house tho.

It's all relative.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I live an RV.

Regardless of heater, there is a constant draft.

Today, it hit 38˚ in GA.

Joy. Oh and did I mention it's raining.

I sure wish someone would pay my $2K/mo. rent (if I had one)

I pay $300/month.

Just put a bid on a house tho.

It's all relative.
What kind of RV? Are you willing to part with it? I may be interested.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 10:11 PM

Honestly, once we buy the house, yes. But, It'll need to do some cleanin, been in it for a year.

It's a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer.

How would you go from a condo to an RV...? Oh yeah! People TRAVEL in them. I forgot.

iCol
Senior User
Nov 23, 2006, 10:36 AM

$3700 a month for a really nice condo in a really nice area? Massive place too?

Well, our tiny, tiny little flat in central London costs £1800 a month in rent, which is about $3500... did I mention it is tiny?

I pay about £600 a month though, so, thats only about $1100 a month!

Though I hope to move to South Central London soon (Stockwell), which is indeed a bit of a slum, but the flat will be bigger, and nicer, and I will only be paying about $600 a month! Woo

Though I might get mugged on my way home from the supermarket.
F is for Fooyork.

Forum Links
Forum Rules