Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Good brand of HD for an EMAC??

Good brand of HD for an EMAC??
PSST
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2002, 07:00 PM

Hello all.

I wanted to know what would be a good brand of internal HD for an EMAC? One that is fast. I got an IBM deskstar 7200RPM for my IMAC DVSE, and I'm not that crazy about it. I wanted to get an EMAC soon, and didn't want to use a Deskstar again. Are there any INTERNAL FIREWIRE's being made that I can use for the EMAC?

-Also can optimizing a HD with Norton Systemworks 1.0.3 can make the drive louder?

-What could cause a system freeze in OS9 using 9.0.4 where the apple menu bar at the top disappears when the computer freezes up? Is this related to the hard drive?

-Lastly, can the IMAC DVSE g3 400 use PC-133 RAM memory? I have 1 GB of PC-133 RAM in the the IMAC, at least that's what the invoice on my computer upgrade said, can I use this in the EMAC?

I could use some help. Thanks,
-S

P.S. Someone let poor JEDI know that the EMAC is indeed "GLOSSY" I know he's been asking. "Glossy like IVORY"

X_RuLeZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2002, 12:29 AM

Seagate Barracuda IV are good hard drives. They are fast and more importantly quiet. Optimizing a hard drive should not make it louder. Both computer can use PC-133 SDRAM though it will only be running at 100Mhz instead of 133Mhz.

I am not sure about the freezing issue but it should no be related to the hard drive. Also there is no such thing as a firewire hard drive; all the external ones you see are just normal IDE hard drives with an IDE->Firewire bridge, I have not seen anything that lets you use internal firewire. Maybe you can by adaptors for internal drives but I have not seen any.

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2002, 01:29 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by PSST:
<strong>Hello all.

I wanted to know what would be a good brand of internal HD for an EMAC? One that is fast. I got an IBM deskstar 7200RPM for my IMAC DVSE, and I'm not that crazy about it. I wanted to get an EMAC soon, and didn't want to use a Deskstar again. Are there any INTERNAL FIREWIRE's being made that I can use for the EMAC?

-Also can optimizing a HD with Norton Systemworks 1.0.3 can make the drive louder?

-What could cause a system freeze in OS9 using 9.0.4 where the apple menu bar at the top disappears when the computer freezes up? Is this related to the hard drive?

-Lastly, can the IMAC DVSE g3 400 use PC-133 RAM memory? I have 1 GB of PC-133 RAM in the the IMAC, at least that's what the invoice on my computer upgrade said, can I use this in the EMAC?

I could use some help. Thanks,
-S

P.S. Someone let poor JEDI know that the EMAC is indeed "GLOSSY" I know he's been asking. "Glossy like IVORY"</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You aren't supposed to use 7200RPM drives in Apple's all in one computers (not recomended).

That said: I would go for a Seagate if they have a size/speed that you like and can find it for a reasonable price. They're usually the best quality.

If you can't find a Seagate that fits go for a Western Digital. They are comming out with a new 200GB model soon, but it will probably require ATA/133 or maybe even serial ATA (interfaces previoys to ATA/133 had a capacity limitation of about 130GB. The drive would work, but only about 130GB of it).

There is no internal FireWire port in the eMac. Even if there was, FireWire drives aren't exactly FireWire drives. They are ATA drives connected to a FireWire bridge that acts as an adaptor.

Optimizing a drive won't make it louder (except possibly while the optimization is in progress).

7200RPM hard drives produce a lot more heat and consume more power than the stock 5400RPM drives that Apple uses in their all in one computers. The heat could be effecting other components or the additional power drain could be too much.

The iMac you have (which people usually just refer to as a slot loading model) can use PC-133 SDRAM, but it can also use PC-100 SDRAM. Either way the eMac uses the same memory.

Back to hard drives; Seagate are usually considered the fastest/most reliable/quietest and their prices now match their competitors. The only problem is that they don't have as many size/speed combos as other manufacturers. Western Digital makes good drives and I've found them to be better than IBM's. They also have some drives specially made for noise level. IBM would be next on my list, but you're not impressed with them. Lastly I would recomend against Maxtor. They tend to break the most, are the slowest, and loudest.

I would recomend against the 7200RPM drives since that could be the reason for your current dismay. The hard drive won't speed up the functions that most people use (only heavy disk access gets any noticable boost) and in an all in one you might be doing a lot of damage.

In respect to the freeze; have you tried reformating the hard drive and reinstalling the OS? I would try that before jumping to the conclusion that the problem is hardware, but as I said the 7200RPM is an Apple no no (I really have a single track mind).

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2002, 01:34 AM

I would go with a U Series 80020 from Seagate as my first choice (since it is 5400RPMs). It has an 80GB capacity. What capacity are you looking for? The eMac comes with 40GB.

You might want to invest in an external firewire drive; either build your own by buying the firewire case and an ATA drive or buy one pre assembled.

Western Digital has ATA drives up to 120GB in 5400RPM speeds.

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2002, 08:04 PM

Thanks Northform and all.

I have a 40GB IBM deskstar running at 7200RPM. I still want a 40 GB hard drive no matter what. The real issue is having a Hard drive with fast seek times and RPM. At 5400 RPM those drives are way too slow, especially if you go up in size from 13 GB to 60 GB. I don't want to take 3 to 6 HOURS to run Norton on my hard drive if I need to, with disk doctor and speed disk. It's just way too impractical.

I have had this 7200 RPM drive since April and I haven't noticed any problems with heat.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE DEFINATELY GIVE A DEFINITE ANSWER ONCE AND FOR ALL ABOUT THE ISSUE WITH HEAT USING A 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE ON AN IMAC. Especially the IMAC DVSE and the DV line?

Please??? People keep asking, and some have good experiences, but other say don't do it. I'm concerned, and if there is an issue, then there needs to be a firm definate answer.

Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for everthing as always.
-Sabastian

P.S. Gauge Pro says on my machine it's 138 degrees F. Is this OK?

<small>[ 07-12-2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: PSST ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules