Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Two systems in OS 8.1

Two systems in OS 8.1
ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 05:50 PM

After a real bad crash on my PB 520c (!) and some clumsy rebuilding attempts, I now have two "System" suitcases in my "System Folder". The Find File programs finds two "Systems" and so does Norton Utilities 4.0. It can't fix it, though. The thing seems to work for the most part, but the two systems take up lots of my already puny disk space. I would just wipe it clean and start over, but I'm not sure I can get a copy of the "Microsoft Outlook for Exchange Server" program that I use to check my e-mail at work. The IT person at work wasn't able to tell me if that program was still on any of the internal Mac servers that we have. Without Outlook for Exchange the PB520 is kind of useless to me.

Any idea how to get rid of one of these System suitcases? There's only one icon in the system folder and when I move it the computers threatens me with not starting up again.

Thanks-

Val

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 09:03 PM

Pop the installer in and do a clean install. It will rename the old system folder and you can copy over any prefs/extensions you need. When your done delete the old system folder.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 23, 2003, 10:04 AM

I have a different suggestion: try a utility other than Norton Disk Doctor Kevorkian! I say DiskWarrior.

tooki

ValVashon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 10:47 AM

I had already deleted the old system folder, but two system suitcases remained behind, but one was "hidden". I made some backups and did a low level initialize and reinstall. All is well now. I understand and appreciate your concerns about Norton but this will soon be my only classic machine and I don't want to spend any more money on something like more software.

Val

Forum Links
Forum Rules