Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Networking 7.5 with OSX?

Networking 7.5 with OSX?
trash80
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 06:21 AM

Because my 7200/90 dedicated scanner Mac takes about a million years to boot up (putting OS9 on it was a mistake in hindsight) i decided to dust off another of my old Macs for the odd occaision when i need to put files off my iMac onto a floppy.

So i put my IIci on the network (ethernet), it has 7.5 installed (might be 7.5.3 can't remember exactly) the problem is if i try to connect to my OSX box it can see it but after entering the username/password i get a "connection closed unexpectedly" error.

it works fine the other way however, the OSX box can mount the 7.5 disk no problem but it would be nice to be able to do it the other way too (for example if someone else is using the OSX box so i don't have to disturb them). is there any way to solve this problem?

i've tried assigning a 192.x.x.x IP to the ci but it made no difference.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by trash80:
Because my 7200/90 dedicated scanner Mac takes about a million years to boot up (putting OS9 on it was a mistake in hindsight) i decided to dust off another of my old Macs for the odd occaision when i need to put files off my iMac onto a floppy.

So i put my IIci on the network (ethernet), it has 7.5 installed (might be 7.5.3 can't remember exactly) the problem is if i try to connect to my OSX box it can see it but after entering the username/password i get a "connection closed unexpectedly" error.

it works fine the other way however, the OSX box can mount the 7.5 disk no problem but it would be nice to be able to do it the other way too (for example if someone else is using the OSX box so i don't have to disturb them). is there any way to solve this problem?

i've tried assigning a 192.x.x.x IP to the ci but it made no difference.
I think you need to update to 7.5.5 and update AppleShare/Apple Remote Access.

You need AFP over TCP/IP to be functionnal to make it work with MacOS X Servers

trash80  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 02:27 PM

at home now, actually its running 7.5.5 already, i'll see what i can update AppleShare/Apple Remote Access to. thanks for your help!

trash80  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 05:24 PM

hmm updated OT and AppleShare but it made no difference

i've got 7.6 on a CD somewhere, i'll try that later

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by trash80:
hmm updated OT and AppleShare but it made no difference

i've got 7.6 on a CD somewhere, i'll try that later
i think 8.0 introduced aftp over tcp/ip. can be be had for cheap on ebay

but http://www.opendoor.com/shareway/sharewaymacosx.html will do it do.
Evaluation Version

trash80  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 07:48 AM

yeah but 8 will be slooooow on that mac and the reason i set it up it to be a fast booting mac for if i just want to put something on a floppy. it works X -> 7.5 fine so i'll just stick with that.

thanks for people's help anyway!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 2003, 12:48 PM

8.6 is the first Mac OS to include an AFP client that supports TCP/IP.

You cannot make any version of Mac OS under 8.1 support AFP over TCP/IP -- you might, however, be able to install a newer version of the AppleShare client that will at least allow two-way communication between the machines using AppleTalk.

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2003, 03:56 PM

Hmmm. I had a Performa 475 with ethernet and while I couldn't access it from my G4, I was able to access my G4 from it. This was running 7.6.1.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules