Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook 17 impressions

PowerBook 17 impressions
infobhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 04:23 PM

I finally got my 17" PB today after months of waiting, and it wasn't in the mail. I had originally ordered on 1/20 via the online Apple Store, but my order never shipped. Based on tips from the message board here, I called up my local Apple store and put my name on the waiting list. Last night they called and gave me 2 options: put the computer on hold for 4 hours or charge my credit card right away and let me pick it up at my convenience. i was unable to get out to the store last night so I took the latter option.

I arrived right when the store opened today and picked it up. Very nice box, I must say.

As I could see from the many pictures on the web, the box is quite well packed and includes a couple cables (modem, s-video to RCA, and DVI to VGA). The computer itself finally emerged from the case and was quite a site to behold. It looks quite large when closed compared to the Tibook, though in reality it isn't all that much bigger.

For reference: I'm upgrading from the original TiBook G4/500 which I got just over 2 years ago (I still use it as my desktop, but the hinge broke in an accident so it's no longer functional as a laptop).

First impressions: the build is clearly superior to the TiBook. It looks much more modern (a function of both the new font and the all-metal appearance). The keyboard is probably the best keyboard I've used on any machine (laptop or desktop). The screen is fantastic. The first thing I did was to look for dead or stuck pixels - thankfully none. The brightness is smooth and even throughout. The image is sharp, certainly better than my old laptop. I don't have a 17" iMac to compare it too, but I certainly have no complaints about this screen.

The machine is heavier than the TiBook, but not unreasonably heavy. Nor does it really seem excessively large. Though I'm sure the 12" is more portable, I would have no problem carrying this around while working. I'm not a huge perison (5'10"), but the 'book doesn't seem awkward while sitting on my lap.

The extra screen space is fabulous. I've been trapped on a 1024x768 display for the past few months and this is positively liberating.

I like having the ports on the side of the machine - I keep my laptop free of cables most of the time, so most connections I may are quick on-and-off connections. The side ports are a lot more convenient than the back ports.

The machine does get warm, particularly while working with the CD drive a lot. The wamth seems fairly even over the bottom of the machine. The top does not get uncomfortable at all. It's not quite as warm as the TiBook from my experience so far. I could probably tolerate it in shorts. The fan came on once after several serial installs via the CD drive. It has not come on at all in normal usage, but I imagine it might be triggered by DVD watching. With the fan off, the machine is impressively quiet...practically silent.

It looks much more impressive in person than in the pictures. Really fabulous build quality. The hinge in particular is quite solid and smooth. The trackpad is also quite smooth and comfortable. The trackpad button is just right.

There were a lot of concerns about "revision A" issues with this machine before it surfaced, but I can say that most of these seem unwarranted. I'm sure the specs (processor, graphics chip) will change in the next revision, but there's nothing obviously wrong with this revision. There don't seem to be any problems similar to those encountered with the early 12" models - there's no warping on this machine.

What can I say, it's truly a fabulous machine. Well done, Apple.

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2003, 04:40 PM

Well, I finally took the time to sit down and play with the 17" Albook at Micron Computers here in Dallas. To be quite honest with y'all (hehehe), its a pretty big screen. It sat right next to the 15" and 12". The screen is pretty big compared to the 15" and looks very solid. I recently purchased a TiBook 15" 867 last week and love it. The size is just perfect for what I do and how much design work I do. When looking at the 17"powerbook, I was wishing that I had purchased a 17" but then again, I have a powermac dual 867 at home and love my 19" Sony CRT monitor. If I didn't have my desktop powermac at home, I think I would have purchased myself a 17" powerbook. I was amazed at the material used to make this monster. When you fold the screen shut, it feels very smooth and not stiff like the 15". I think my next big purchase would be a 17"- thats if I want something big to carry around. But I prefer the size of the 15" TiBook and really enjoy it.

Its interesting to see that how people react to a powerbook while sitting in a coffee shop like Starbucks. I had 3 people within the last hour asked me if my powerbook was the 17". Apple makes some classy looking stuff and I'm glad to be a part of it all. Enjoy your new 17".

DimeTech
Mar 23, 2003, 05:19 PM

I am very impressed with the build quality of this notebook. When I got it, there seemed to be no pixel problems, but after a couple hours of use, I noticed there was one stuck pixel. I tried the massaging technique, and it worked beautifully in only one or two strokes. What I did notice is that the left side of the lid is a little bit higher than the right side. This doesn't really bother me as I know you can't just get EVERYTHING perfect, but I just thought I would let everyone know. This in no way changes my opinion that this is one of the finest computers around. I absolutely love it.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 07:49 AM

Congrats on getting your new machine!

Thanks for posting your impressions...very nice, sounds like you're quite thrilled with it! Hope it continues to treat you well!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 08:43 AM

I have had the same expirence you have had. A great machine!

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Forum Links
Forum Rules