Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How you do like this bag for the 17" PB

How you do like this bag for the 17" PB
tritonus
Senior User
Apr 5, 2003, 05:27 AM

( Last edited by tritonus; Apr 7, 2003 at 09:00 AM. )
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2003, 05:35 AM

More pics:

http://www.lemonfish.de/english/notebook1.jpg

http://www.lemonfish.de/english/notebook2.jpg

This is not promo or something. I'm just wondering which bag to buy. I like the design of it.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

pinglookgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2003, 05:58 AM

So long as it meets your needs, is of durable construction and offers your mac the level of protection you are comfortable with, looks fine.

Personally, I never buy should carry bags anymore- I much prefer a slingpack or backpack, but again, it is personal preference. I feel I have more freedom (2 hads free) with a sling or backpack, usually more room and easier to carry.
"Playing with chopsticks will get you
splinters."

OSXFreak
Apr 5, 2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:
More pics:

http://www.lemonfish.de/english/notebook1.jpg

http://www.lemonfish.de/english/notebook2.jpg

This is not promo or something. I'm just wondering which bag to buy. I like the design of it.
Looks interesting. Does it offer decent levels of protection? Have you seen the Brenthaven?
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2003, 02:23 PM

Looks good. My personal favorite, however is the 17" Racer-X from Waterfield.

www.sfbags.com

Good luck with your decision. It's a tough one!

Mr Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2003, 02:34 PM

Looks like my wife's Sainsbury's shopping bag

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 05:59 PM

hmmm... looks like a lady's hand bag...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by OSXFreak:
Looks interesting. Does it offer decent levels of protection? Have you seen the Brenthaven?
Brenthaven design is a bit boring to me. And it's rather expensive.
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 04:14 AM

Personally, I never buy should carry bags anymore- I much prefer a slingpack or backpack, but again, it is personal preference. I feel I have more freedom (2 hads free) with a sling or backpack, usually more room and easier to carry. [/B]
That's a thought I was making myself, too. Are there many backpacks for the 17" PB? Can you provide links or pics? What is a slingpack?
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Yeah, you've got a point there. I like the orange though.
SwitCHerland, Europe

beanman
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 04:50 AM

One thing is that if you want a bag that doesn't look like you're carrying a computer in there, this bag works pretty well. I know a friend that wanted that in her bag when she got one for her iBook. She's a journalist who likes to keep a low profile when she's in public. Interesting design though. If it meets your needs...

Although, I agree...the RacerX has my eye on it. I'm waiting for my 17" to get here and go from there. The messenger bag that I own now might be big enough that I just need to get a sleeve for it. But even then, I'll probably look up the Waterfield folks(www.sfbags.com). I just ordered a camera case from them for my Canon S230 and I am very happy with it.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 06:00 AM

I personally like bags made by willowdesigns they even have one for the iMac lol.
http://www.willowdesign.com/WillowAp...ml#17Powerbook

horizon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 07:53 AM

I've been following these forums for some time and have always had an interest in the bags people choose. The one here does indee look very good, although I'd like it if I could see the pocket/compartment layout of the inside.

The Waterfield and Willow Designs get frequent mention as being v.good bags so I can't disagree, although they do look a little plain. I have a Tom Bihn Cafe Computer bag, I bought it 3 years ago when I purchased my Pismo, although its no longer made in the same form as the the one I have. Toms bags have alot going for them in my opinion, as they are both stylish and v.functional

My main reason for posting is to find out if anyone can offer an opinion on the bags on this site www.crumplerbags.com ,they look great, and also give cutaway shots and pics of them being loaded. If you've never seen them please go check 'em out and let me know what you think as I'd be really interested. I can't afford a new PB..........so I may change my bag!!

Steve

beanman
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by horizon:
My main reason for posting is to find out if anyone can offer an opinion on the bags on this site www.crumplerbags.com ,they look great, and also give cutaway shots and pics of them being loaded. If you've never seen them please go check 'em out and let me know what you think as I'd be really interested. I can't afford a new PB..........so I may change my bag!!
This is exactly what my friend that I mentioned was going to buy for her iBook. They are great looking bags and the extra pockets look really nice. Thing is, I don't think that they have one for the 17" yet. On their site, I can only find specs saying that they can hold laptops with 16" screens.

In addition, there are two buckles for the flap versus having just one. My thought, in the busy everyday life that I like to live, I would prefer just one. But if they had one for the 17", I think I would seriously consider these guys.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 01:15 PM

You know, there's a lot to be said for buying a sleeve for the PB, then carry it around in a kind of generic bag - it's then less obvious what's inside and you're less likely to get mugged.
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 08:59 AM

Here's another sleeve you might like!
Designed in Switzerland... available for the 17" PB

http://www.zahara.ch/
SwitCHerland, Europe

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by horizon:
Steve,
Have you ever heard of Timbuk2? Check them out at www.timbuk2.com

They have incredible bags and I think much better than crumplerbags.com. Both companies specialize in the messenger style but Timbuk2 has been known for their materials and ease of use. There is a Flash program that they created for you to build your own bag! I wasn't sure about them at first but was convinced by the guy at my local Apple store that these bags were the best on the market. What I really liked about this company is that you can also purchase a computer laptop sleeve. Its very durable and you can choose a colour to match your bag that you built. There are also accesories that goes with it from cell phone holders to extra pockets. I purchased mine about a month ago and really like it. Many people who've seen me using this bag gave me compliments on its look. The best thing is that I can use this bag as a computer laptop bag or a weekend trip bag for my clothes and such. Check them out.

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 09:27 AM

Tritonus,

A slingpack is the same as a messenger bag. I have one from Timbuk2 ( www.timbuk2.com ) and I wouldn't want any other bag. It is kind of expensive, but the best constructed and most durable bag I have ever seen, after all it is designed for bicycle messengers. Plus you get to choose whichever colors and fabrics you want so orange is no problem. I use this in conjunction with a sleeve from Waterfield designs. I think someone already listed this link. I don't know about their bags, but the sleeves they make (and there is one for the 17") are the best I have seen. They are made from neoprene (you know, wetsuits) and ballistic nylon.

I have a 1Ghz 15" PB and I carry it with me to college every single day. The best part about it is it doesn't look like I'm carrying a "computer bag" around all day and there also room in the bag for a bunch of books/notebooks. If you want something that looks cool but also performs, look no further.

P.S. i don't work for either of these companies but love the Timbuk2 bag so much I actually did a mass customization marketing report on them for college and both the founder and CEO of the company replied to me. Now that is customer service!!!!

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 09:29 AM

LOL right on xterra

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by makkystyle:
Tritonus,

A slingpack is the same as a messenger bag. I have one from Timbuk2 ( www.timbuk2.com ) and I wouldn't want any other bag. It is kind of expensive, but the best constructed and most durable bag I have ever seen, after all it is designed for bicycle messengers. Plus you get to choose whichever colors and fabrics you want so orange is no problem. I use this in conjunction with a sleeve from Waterfield designs. I think someone already listed this link. I don't know about their bags, but the sleeves they make (and there is one for the 17") are the best I have seen. They are made from neoprene (you know, wetsuits) and ballistic nylon.

I have a 1Ghz 15" PB and I carry it with me to college every single day. The best part about it is it doesn't look like I'm carrying a "computer bag" around all day and there also room in the bag for a bunch of books/notebooks. If you want something that looks cool but also performs, look no further.
Thanks.
I like the design of the Timbuk2. I'd need a dealer in Switzerland as international shipping is rather expensive.

Tell me, on timbuk2.com the sleeve seems to be open on top. Correct?
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Xterratop:
Steve,
Have you ever heard of Timbuk2? Check them out at www.timbuk2.com
What I really liked about this company is that you can also purchase a computer laptop sleeve. Its very durable and you can choose a colour to match your bag that you built.
Can you tell me whether the laptop sleeve has an "open top"? I can't tell from the website.
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 10:08 AM

Here's another sleeve you might like!
Designed in Switzerland... available for the 17" PB

http://www.zahara.ch/
Anybody checked this out?
SwitCHerland, Europe

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 11:43 AM

I liked the Timbuk2 bags too and went to the store to check them out. I ended up walking out with a Chrome bag (http://chromebags.com/). Overall, the felt more durable and came with the waterproof lining that was an option on the Timbuk2. Of course I paid a more for the bag; $119 vs. $99 for the equivalent Timbuk2 (DeeDog with Ballistic fabric and hypalon lining).

The deciding factors for me were the 1) more comfortable shoulder strap and quick release buckle, and 2) when you close the Chrome bag, there's a lip that is a pretty good weather proof seal. The Timbuk2 bag had a gap between the flap and the interior that could let stuff in if you don't get the optional liner.

I've made a few trips up & down the US West Coast with this bag so far and love it. The one negative for the Chrome is that it's a bit heavier b/c the shoulder strap and buckle mechanism. Otherwise, no complaints.

To answer another question. The Timbuk2 sleeve is open on top. There's no flap or anything. Not too good if you carry it in weather all by itself, but it's durable and would do well if you put it in another bag.

Pittsburgh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 06:30 PM

Has anyone tried the Acme bags?

http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html

I love my Waterfield cargo bag for my TiBook, but might like something smaller and lighter when/if I do get the 17-in. (I tend to carry everything but the kitchen sink in my bag, so I figure if I get a heavier laptop, I should get a smaller bag...)

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by doyouflip:
I liked the Timbuk2 bags too and went to the store to check them out. I ended up walking out with a Chrome bag (http://chromebags.com/). Overall, the felt more durable and came with the waterproof lining that was an option on the Timbuk2. Of course I paid a more for the bag; $119 vs. $99 for the equivalent Timbuk2 (DeeDog with Ballistic fabric and hypalon lining).
_______
To answer another question. The Timbuk2 sleeve is open on top. There's no flap or anything. Not too good if you carry it in weather all by itself, but it's durable and would do well if you put it in another bag.
Wow! I've never heard of Chrome messenger bags but by the look of it from their website, I like the 'retro' look to the bags. I love my Timbuk2 bag but right now I'm in a weird situation with my 1 month old TiBook 867. I might be getting back a nice tax return and if I do, it'll be enough for a new Al...question is which Al book should I get- a 17" or wait for the new Al 15.4". So, I'll have to see what I want to do. If I decide to get the 17", then I think I would get a new Chrome messenger bag but I'll want to order the laptop sleeve from Timbuk2. Although the top is open, I really like how thick the padding is in the Timbuk2 sleeve. Oh well, only time will tell....

Cung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 05:44 PM

does anyone which is the right size CHROME bag to fit a 17" they all look pretty massive..i already have a laptop sleeve from timbuk2, they work great.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Pittsburgh:
Has anyone tried the Acme bags?

http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html

I love my Waterfield cargo bag for my TiBook, but might like something smaller and lighter when/if I do get the 17-in. (I tend to carry everything but the kitchen sink in my bag, so I figure if I get a heavier laptop, I should get a smaller bag...)

I'm getting one from Acme Made... from the looks of it.. it's a great bag and very well designed.

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Cung:
does anyone which is the right size CHROME bag to fit a 17" they all look pretty massive..i already have a laptop sleeve from timbuk2, they work great.
I have the Metropolis (large) size Chrome bag. However, I use it when I travel. So I typically have two changes of work clothes (pants, shirt & basics), one or two sets of workout clothes, and a slim briefcase for my 17" albook. (I don't carry toiletries or extra shoes b/c I keep those at the place I travel too.) It fits all those things perfectly with very little room to spare.

If you're going to use it to carry less than that, you might want to consider the Mini Metro (man, I'm starting to sound like a commercial ). It's 20"x11.5"x6" and would fit the powerbook, books and other stuff with plenty of room.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 06:20 PM

Okay, I think I'm heading towords "PowerSleeve 17" from www.booqbags.com.

It's the only sleeve so far that also can be used as a separate bag (with strap). I also like the vertical orientation for my backpack.

Any additonal infos, experiences with sleeves?
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 06:28 PM

Here's a list of sleeves for the 17" PowerBook:

- SleeveCase -> sfbags.com
- LaptopSleeve XXL -> timbuk2.com
- PowerSleeve 17 -> booqbags.com
- Mitre -> tombinh.com
- Monolith -> tombinh.com
- SportFolio Extreme -> marware.com
- Second Skin -> apple.com / tucano.it
- Titanium Cover -> zahara.ch
- MacCase Sleeves -> jambags.com
- Brenthaven sleeve, with bag/backpack only -> apple.com / brenthaven.com
- Slim 17" -> acmemade.com

Any more sleeves designed for the 17" PB only?
SwitCHerland, Europe

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 09:25 PM

Here's a list of sleeves for the 17" PowerBook:

- SleeveCase -> sfbags.com
- LaptopSleeve XXL -> timbuk2.com
- PowerSleeve 17 -> booqbags.com
- Mitre -> tombinh.com
- Monolith -> tombinh.com
- SportFolio Extreme -> marware.com
- Second Skin -> apple.com / tucano.it
- Titanium Cover -> zahara.ch
- MacCase Sleeves -> jambags.com
- Brenthaven sleeve, with bag/backpack only -> apple.com / brenthaven.com
- Slim 17" -> acmemade.com

Any more sleeves designed for the 17" PB only?
Hear is a better oene that is slick and more cooler than any other one. IT just holds the powerbook but it looks sweet.http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=42

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
Hear is a better oene that is slick and more cooler than any other one. IT just holds the powerbook but it looks sweet.http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=42
Well, that's for the 15" PB only. My list is for the 17" PB. Plus it's not a sleeve, but a case.
SwitCHerland, Europe

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 03:19 AM

Okay, I think I'm heading towords "PowerSleeve 17" from www.booqbags.com.

It's the only sleeve so far that also can be used as a separate bag (with strap). I also like the vertical orientation for my backpack.

Any additonal infos, experiences with sleeves?
VERY nice. the best I've seen. Thanks for showing that one.
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by chipchen:
I'm getting one from Acme Made... from the looks of it.. it's a great bag and very well designed.
oh man! my booq vote is RETRACTED! These bags are SWEET! Being an architecture student the designer patterns are RIGHT up my alley! but $150!!! FU@K!!!!!!

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by pamelah:
oh man! my booq vote is RETRACTED! These bags are SWEET! Being an architecture student the designer patterns are RIGHT up my alley! but $150!!! FU@K!!!!!!
Really? Acme Made looks like a women's handbag. It's expensive, too. Design is funny though. I prefer the portrait orientation. Allows putting the sleeve in a backpack easily.
SwitCHerland, Europe

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 03:30 AM

I just bought it! I MUST be crazy! The Eames dot pattern and the suede screen cover! LOL I think I've officially outdone assassyN! LMAO!

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 03:32 AM

Really? Acme Made looks like a women's handbag. It's expensive, too. Design is funny though. I prefer the portrait orientation. Allows putting the sleeve in a backpack easily.
I'm a woman darlin'

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 03:36 AM

I just bought it! I MUST be crazy! The Eames dot pattern and the suede screen cover! LOL I think I've officially outdone assassyN! LMAO!
Oh boy. Have fun with it.
SwitCHerland, Europe

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 03:37 AM

Oh boy. Have fun with it.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 03:38 AM

I'm a woman darlin'
Exactly.
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 05:32 AM

I'm deciding between booqbags.com PowerSleeve 17 and sfbags.com WF sleeve with shoulder strap.

Opinions on the two?
SwitCHerland, Europe

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:

Ming
I concur sir. It's a nice lady's hand bag though.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 12:03 PM

I'm deciding between booqbags.com PowerSleeve 17 and sfbags.com WF sleeve with shoulder strap.

Opinions on the two?
I'm picking up a PowerSleeve17 from Booq. The WaterField bags are nice, but I think they still look like computer bags, which is something I don't want. The PS17 just looks sleeker. And I think the PS17 has more pockets from cramming stuff in?? Not sure about that last one, but I'm tossing in a vote for the PowerSleeve.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by xylon:
I'm picking up a PowerSleeve17 from Booq. The WaterField bags are nice, but I think they still look like computer bags, which is something I don't want. The PS17 just looks sleeker. And I think the PS17 has more pockets from cramming stuff in?? Not sure about that last one, but I'm tossing in a vote for the PowerSleeve.
Thanks! Anybody else?
SwitCHerland, Europe

Forum Links
Forum Rules