Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ink jet printers...any suggestions?

Ink jet printers...any suggestions?
Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2003, 01:42 PM

I'm a graphic designer specializing in print design and some web design. My output is mostly vector graphics and some raster graphics (photoshop stuff) as well. I currently have an Epson C82 printer that is not working at the moment so I'm sending it back to Epson for a new one since its still under warranty. I noticed that there are a few printers out there that have 6 inks instead of the usual 4 inks. Whats a good printer that outputs good quality raster and vector graphics that is below $250? Any suggestions? I've been comparing the Canon printers to the Epsons. I really don't care for HP- mostly because of lack of mac support. I purchased an HP and returned it for an Epson. Now I'm looking to get rid of the Epson and get something that suits my needs.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 02:15 PM

i have an HP DeskJet 5550 and it works flawlessly in OSX. i'm quite satisfied with the photo quality of it, but i'm not a graphic designer so i'm not sure if it'd be up to your needs.

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 03:35 PM

I'm in the same boat that you're in. I currently have an HP Deskjet 1220c/PS and have been very happy with its output both in 9 & 10.2.x. I've been looking at photo priters lately and would love the Epson 2200, which is the best consumer photo printer, but can't afford it. I've narrowed it down to the HP Photosmart 7350 and the Epson Stylus Photo 825. The upside to the HP is that they claim 73year fade resistence, and the main upside to the Epson is that there is no need to swap cartriges when printing photos vs text. Both are 6 color printers, but I've had bad experiences with Epson (owned Stylus Color 800)

Also, can anyone tell me why the Epson Stylus Photo 925 is $100 more than the 825? Other than they way it reads camera media, I can't see a difference...

I'm very happy with my HP 1220 for text output, so I'm looking for a printer that will only do photos. Anybody else have suggestions?

So the answer is buy the Epson Stylus Photo if you've got a budget of $700. It has 100 year pigment based inks, 7 color printing, and can print tabloid size documents. If you have a lower budget as I do, things aren't so clear.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

OreoCookie
May 26, 2003, 04:35 AM

Photo printer (6 inks): the award goes to Canon i950.

General purpose printer (4 inks): the award goes to the Canon i850.

In both printers, each color can be replaced separately. They beat HP and Epson in terms of speed (for color photos and stuff) any time. Quality is outstanding and the ink is much cheaper for the i850 (which still uses the same ink tanks that were introduced about three or four years ago!).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 26, 2003, 06:35 AM

Yep, the i950 Canon gets my vote too... great printers.

I have used both HP and Epson a lot, but to me the Canon ouutshines them.

I also use an s750 for general stuff. A reliable, cheap option...

Marc

jdhindes
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 07:41 AM

Look at my post "Best Photo Printer for OSX" in this forum. Based on the replies from my post, I purchased the Canon i950 and after about 5 days with it, I am VERY pleased!

It is fast, the color is awesome and it works very well with my 12" Powerbook. I have it plugged into my Airport Extreme Base Station so I can print wirelessly all over my house!

Hope this helps.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2003, 08:21 AM

I can't imagine any printer being better than the Epson 785EPX. What makes the Canon so much better? The color and detail from the Epson are amazing!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OreoCookie
May 27, 2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I can't imagine any printer being better than the Epson 785EPX. What makes the Canon so much better? The color and detail from the Epson are amazing!

Mike
They are a lot faster at same/better quality. Cheapest ink on the inkjet market (if you leave those pro inkjets aside).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules