Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PB user, what should I do?

New PB user, what should I do?
daniel999
Jun 20, 2003, 12:34 PM

I am getting a 12"PB next week
I am a new Mac user, i.e. a SUPER newbi
What should I do when I get my PB? Are there anything that I should be aware of?? (I don't want to mess up with it on the first day coz its sooo nice )

Thanks!!
( Last edited by daniel999; Jun 21, 2003 at 04:02 PM. )
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 01:05 PM

Hug it

Just start using it, look for utilities and applications now that you want, i.e., MS office, Unreal tournement 2003 <- a real productivity enhancer.

If your a real OSX newbie then spring for a OSX book.

Good Luck
Mike

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by daniel999:
I am getting a 12"PB next month
What should I do when I get my PB? Are there anything that I should be aware of?? (I don't want to mess up with it on the first day coz its sooo nice )

Thanks!!
Here's a couple of websites to get you started with your new book:

Mac OSX Hints - GREAT site for general OSX hints... they even have a book out now too.

VersionTracker - Just about every app you'll ever need

And then of course there's MacNN.

If you run into any problems, feel free to post on here... everyone's really friendly/helpful, and I personally have managed to get some great advice around here.

Good luck, and congrats on the new machine!
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

djjava
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 03:12 PM

I am getting a 12"PB next month

Thanks!!
if you had a PC, throw it out... it's useless now.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 04:36 PM

The directions included with the PB12" indicate you should condition the battery by letting it discharge all the way down, to sleep. Then plug it in and charge the whole thing up until the plug is green. I'd be sure to do this.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 04:40 PM

Also, when you get it and get on the internet, the software updater will probably check for software updates to the computer's operating system. Installing these can take awhile, and you'll probably have to reboot.

After rebooting you should open up a program called "disk utility" in your applications --> utilities folder. Select your hard drive and click on "repair permissions". After it's done reboot for good measure.

This is good to do whenever you install software.

beanman
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 03:28 PM

I just want to put in a second motion to follow to book directions for your battery. It's pretty important so that you get all the battery life that you can out of it.

One thing you can do right now is look at what type of applications you used to use on your old machine and then start looking around for mac applications that suit your needs. Download.com has a lot of shareware programs for the Mac. It's one of the first places I go when I'm curious about applications that I hear or read about.

And if you are super curious, go to Barnes and Noble and flip through a Mac related magazine for a good place to start. The web is always full of places to find info, but it can be over stimulating sometimes. Take your time and have fun learning the world of the Mac.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 05:14 PM

One of my favorite Mac sites is www.macpicks.com

Here it list every Mac website known to man!

Enjoy!

Jim

12" Powerbook
60 gig HD
15 gb Ipod - YEA!!!!

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2003, 10:21 PM

Consider obtaining the following add-ons for your new Mac :

* AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)
* Belkin - 10-Outlet Surge Strip/12' Cord with Lifetime Unlimited Connected Equipment and Data Recovery Warranties
* Radio Shack One-Outlet Computer Equipment Surge Protector with $50,000 Guarantee
* RadTech PowerSleevz (Ultralight, Elegant, Form-Fitting Sleevecase)
* RadTech Wildeepz (Transparent Silicone Display Cushion Upgrade)
* RadTech Laptop ScreensavRz (Display Protection, Cleaning and Refinishing Cloth)
* PodiumPad (see it also at The Apple Store Online)
* iKlear Apple Polish Kit (see it also at The Apple Store Online)

Enjoy!

DekuDekuplex

I am getting a 12"PB next week

Thanks!!
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

daniel999  (op)
Jun 24, 2003, 06:44 PM

Do I need some sort of anti virus or sth like Norton utilities? I am a switcher, has Mac build in those kind of software?
Did anyone install extra software?

Thanks
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 07:46 PM

Do I need some sort of anti virus or sth like Norton utilities? I am a switcher, has Mac build in those kind of software?

Thanks
i honsetly never heard of anyone getting a virus on there Mac system.

www.macupdate.com

www.versiontracker.com

u can get extra software from those sites.

wow. no one so far hinted to you that u should wait til the next revision of laptops.

12" PB is a good small laptop. u will enjoy it a lot.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Tomster
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 09:43 PM

Buy Mac OS X: The Missing Manual. If you are a newbie to the Mac and to Jaguar, then this is the book for you.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 11:05 PM

Thanks
Stay as far away from Norton products on OSX as humanly possible. Peruse the software forum for more info, but it's my understanding that these products cause all SORTS of problems for X.

As for AntiVirus, don't need it. There are very few viruses around for the Mac, even fewer (if any) for OSX; the ones that do exist would be fairly hard to contract "accidentally" as long as you're careful... this isn't windows afterall
Alex

-----

reesings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 11:05 PM

I hope I don't sound negative, but do consider purchasing the three-year AppleCare plan. These are great machines, but are also fragile machines and having an extended warranty such is this will give you peace of mind and provide good protection for your PowerBook.

Richard

daniel999  (op)
Jun 25, 2003, 06:47 AM

so... just buy it and its done, No need any more software? This sounds great! Seems OSX include everything

But I am installing virtual PC as well. should I install virus checker in virtual pc? will windows virus affect mac if I use VPC?

Thanks
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 09:00 AM

so... just buy it and its done, No need any more software? This sounds great! Seems OSX include everything

But I am installing virtual PC as well. should I install virus checker in virtual pc? will windows virus affect mac if I use VPC?

Thanks
Yes and No. That's the beautiful thing about VPC... it's completely self-contained (for the most part).

No virus (or any other executable for that matter) written for a PC will run on your Mac outside of VPC. Meaning, that if you get a virus from inside windows, all it will do is trash your VPC file at the very worst.

You can install some AntiVirus in windows if you like, but it's probably not necessary unless you're doing something terribly mission critical there.

Keep in mind also, that VPC has a sort of "restore" mode, where it'll go back to the last known configuration to work. Dunno how effective it would be for coming back from a virus attack as I've never used this feature myself... anyone else?
Alex

-----

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 04:34 PM

My suggestion is NOT to install Norton AntiVirus on Virtual Windows for Macintosh.

I used to be a systems engineer on a Windows 98/NT 4.0 Workstation/2000 Pro LAN at work, and had multiple problems with Norton AntiVirus:

1) When I installed it on a PC with Windows 98 that already had McAfee VirusScan installed (and disabled), Norton wouldn't install the updated Norton virus definitions (if I remember correctly).

2) When a coworker installed it on his PC (also with Windows 98, I believe), Norton's automatic virus definition update function reportedly somehow corrupted his Internet Explorer home page settings.

3) After installing Norton on a PC at work with Windows 98, I had numerous software installation difficulties that hadn't occurred before.

Before purchasing my Mac, I used to use a Windows NT 4.0 Server (trial version)/2000 Pro PC at home, and never had virus problems, even without any virus protection installed. Of course, I hardly ever downloaded shareware/freeware over the Internet, and never opened any e-mail attachments unless they were in plain text format.

If you absolutely need anti-virus protection for Virtual Windows, I would suggest McAfee VirusScan. At my workplace, the system administrators switched to it from Norton because of so many Norton-related problems.

DekuDekuplex

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
Yes and No. That's the beautiful thing about VPC... it's completely self-contained (for the most part).

No virus (or any other executable for that matter) written for a PC will run on your Mac outside of VPC. Meaning, that if you get a virus from inside windows, all it will do is trash your VPC file at the very worst.

You can install some AntiVirus in windows if you like, but it's probably not necessary unless you're doing something terribly mission critical there.

Keep in mind also, that VPC has a sort of "restore" mode, where it'll go back to the last known configuration to work. Dunno how effective it would be for coming back from a virus attack as I've never used this feature myself... anyone else?
( Last edited by DekuDekuplex; Jun 25, 2003 at 04:54 PM. )
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 01:00 PM

Discharge the battery until is turns off then do a full recharge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules