Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Pirates, Argg!

Pirates, Argg!
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 11:57 AM

I have the pleasure of watching someone copy my site. It is a near exact copy, the only changes made so far are link colors ... everything else is identical. He even left my RE_INVIGORATE code in there, which it totally screwing up my stats for the past two days.

I didn't do anything, yet. Just taking incremental screenshots to see where he is going with it. I kinda want him to finish it, so that I can nail his ass ... or should I just e-mail him now.

Thanks.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

lenox
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 12:06 PM

any copyrights in your code?

edit: and here's a suggestion for the future. i assume your code is probably very well laid-out and human-readable, which is a commendable thing, to be sure. however, when you post it on the web, and the code is cool, people are going to dig into it to see how you did things. that happened after a couple of redesigns on my site. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but when someone obviously not as skilled as you hacks up your code, you get a little perturbed. one thing i used to do was run a sed script on the copy of my code i planned to upload to the server, to remove all spaces and tabs and newlines.

this basically makes the code very annoyingly human un-readable, yet the browsers have no trouble with it at all.
( Last edited by lenox; Apr 19, 2004 at 12:13 PM. )

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 12:12 PM

Shame them!!!

pirated-sites.com

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 01:01 PM

My CSS although a mess (I constantly change and tweak) it, is pretty well commented and presented. No copyright in there, I do have a small note on my site saying that you can look buy don't copy it outright.

I don't want to make my code non-human readable, because I like to offer people an opportunity to look ... since it is a learning experience. Plus that would make it more difficult for me to edit things.

I will shame him, which is why I am giving him an opportunity to either change it on his own or finish it for a good ass whipping from my side.
My Blog & Photos

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:46 PM

Post links, post links!

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 05:09 AM

Not yet He screwed up some php and has an fat error on his page right now ... I'm waiting for him to fix it.
My Blog & Photos

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
I have the pleasure of watching someone copy my site. It is a near exact copy, the only changes made so far are link colors ... everything else is identical. He even left my RE_INVIGORATE code in there, which it totally screwing up my stats for the past two days.

I didn't do anything, yet. Just taking incremental screenshots to see where he is going with it. I kinda want him to finish it, so that I can nail his ass ... or should I just e-mail him now.

Thanks.
I hate that.

Don't let it worry you, Its quite flattering really.
99% sure its a PC user.

lenox
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 12:21 PM

It wouldn't make it harder to edit things as you'd have a non-muxed version of the code as well. Oh well, just a suggestion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules