Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered a 1.6Ghz G5, got a Dual 1.8

Ordered a 1.6Ghz G5, got a Dual 1.8
Sporty G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 12:38 AM

Well, about three weeks ago I went and ordered, and paid for, a 1.6Ghz G5. The machine cost far more than I had planned to spend but I'd wanted a Mac for a long time and decided that this was the time to make the switch.

Well, last Thursday the store calls to inform me that my order has been switched to a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 (due to Apple's revisions) and I wouldn't have to pay an extra dime (though I did add another 1gb of RAM). Well, the machine arrived today and I plan to set everything up tommarow (I already have a wirless MS mouse and a Samsung 172T to go with it). Needless to say, I'm thrilled. I ended up getting Dual processor 1.8Ghz G5 for $1899 Canadian (plus tax). The shop was great and I look forward to getting this beast running. ^_^

I'll put up pics then...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 12:39 AM

Congratulations!

Apple does have an amazing customer focus. I hope they are able to keep it. (Unlike Dell who seemed to have forgotten about the customer along the way)

Sporty G  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 01:04 AM

Thanks! I was afraid that after the revisions were announced that Apple would cancel my order entirely or I would be forced to pay much more for its replacement. Go Apple~!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2004, 01:10 AM

Yeah, congratulations. It'll be an awesome machine for you, I am sure.

Apple's support may not shine in all areas, but it certainly does in order fullfillment around the time of new product releases.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 17, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Sporty G:
I ended up getting Dual processor 1.8Ghz G5 for $1899 Canadian (plus tax).
Congrats... but WHAT?!?!?!?! It normally goes for CAD$2799. How did you do that? Even the educational 1.6 was WAY more than CAD$1899.

Sporty G  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 01:56 AM

I was kind of shocked the store was selling the 1.6Ghz Power Mac for that myself ($1899). When I inquired why it was so low they just emphasized that Apple had just sent them that price as the new educational baseline for that system and that they were shocked at the price themselves! I paid in full when I ordered. I just assumed that Apple might be trying to clear inventory on the 1.6Ghz G5s. I guess I ordered at exactly the right moment!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 05:16 AM

Wow, that is some serious luck!! Congrats, the dual 1.8s are sweet machines... I love mine!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 08:24 AM

wow, not a bad deal at all lol

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 09:00 AM

Nice one! Since this is your first mac, it is best you got a dual!

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 10:55 AM

That's a great deal. Apple is one of the few companies that, if they release a new revision of a product, will not cancel your order but will upgrade for the same price instead. Can't beat that for customer service.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 06:42 PM

Wow. I just checked the latest education price list (effective May 31), and, yeah, the 1.6 G5 is only $1898. I guess they really wanted to clear the inventory.

Sporty G  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 11:41 PM

See, I told ya'll.

psaros
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 12:16 AM

Fedex delivered my 1.6 single today and WHAM inside is a 1.8 dual! With my education discount it was $1600 with 512ram.
Completely missed the email last week notifying me of the free upgrade. Looks like about $350 worth of lucky timing. I was getting angry that my oder wasn't shipped last week.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 12:41 AM

Kick ass.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2004, 12:09 AM

I bought a refurbished dual 1.8 the day after the 2nd rev's were released for $1800. My surprise was a 250 gig drive instead of a 160.

I guess since a lot of machines are custom built when bought, they are sent back to be refurbished and just listed as a dual 1.8. When you buy a refirbished system, i guess it's a box of chocolates as to what extra stuff your getting! I was really hoping for a 9600 in mine..but nah.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 04:18 AM

we would love to see a photo of your face once you check you got a Dual 1.8 instead of the single 1.6, let me guess...

Congratulations !!

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 09:41 AM

Congratulations! Thats great that you scored a 1.8. I'm sitting here waiting for my G5 2.0 to get here via fedex overnight. Very excited here.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 03:41 PM

I went to Taco Bell drive-thru two nights ago. I orderd a Nachos BellGrande and a few other things but since they didn't have nacho cheese for it, they gave me my whole order free!
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
I went to Taco Bell drive-thru two nights ago. I orderd a Nachos BellGrande and a few other things but since they didn't have nacho cheese for it, they gave me my whole order free!
Did they upgrade you to dual nachos or keep you at single?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

RussS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
I bought a refurbished dual 1.8 the day after the 2nd rev's were released for $1800. My surprise was a 250 gig drive instead of a 160.
I did the same thing, only a refurbed dual 2GHz for $2000. Not only did It come with a 250GB hard drive, It had 1GB ram and an 8x Superdrive!

Even after reading about others getting bigger drives or extra ram with their refurbs I really wasn't expecting it to happen to me. I was really surprised when I first ran System Profiler!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2004, 08:33 AM

If you're really, really lucky, they'll send you one of the old Dual 1.8s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules