Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod not recognized

iPod not recognized
buzzedchiguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2002, 09:35 PM

Just today I tried plugging my iPod into my iMac (OSX) and it didn't mount on the desktop or show in iTunes. Unplugging and replugging don't do a thing. The iPod seems to charge okay, though the charging icon doesn't go away.

It used to work fine before, and I didn't change anything at all. Anyone know what this could be?
Blue Dalmation iMac SE 600MHz
17" PB 1GHz
Graphite iBook SE 466MHz
Twentieth Anniversary Mac
5GB iPod

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 01:03 AM

mine does this periodically also (i think). i in fact have my ipod plugged in and it doesn't appear on the desktop.

try plugging in the ipod, then start up itunes. when i did that, itunes recognized it and i think the desktop recognized it.

do you only put your mac to sleep everyday as opposed to turning it off? i have this problem with the desktop not recognizing the ipod after i woke my computer up. A simple restart usually solves this problem

buzzedchiguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2002, 08:12 AM

No, opening up iTunes when iPod is connected doesn't solve the problem. Also, I turn my computer off every day, instead of putting it to sleep.

I'm going to call Apple support when I get home from work today, maybe they will be able to help me.
17" PB 1GHz
Graphite iBook SE 466MHz
5GB iPod

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2002, 09:23 AM

check out this page and this page first. there is also the ipod troubleshooting page.

-r.

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]

buzzedchiguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 12:04 AM

Thanks rjenkinson for that help. I tried everything there, even tried restoring my iPod using the iPod Updater. Even though my iPod was plugged into my iMac, the updater kept saying Connect iPod. So Restore would not work (the button stayed grayed-out, even after clicking the lock to okay admin priveleges).

So, since I didn't know what else to do, so I requested that Apple send me packaging for me to send in my iPod. I feel bad doing this because it plays music just fine! Just doesn't interface with the iMac anymore. Jeez.
17" PB 1GHz
Graphite iBook SE 466MHz
5GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules