Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW on Tiger

WoW on Tiger
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 09:09 AM

Just wondering if anyone is running WoW on Tiger and whether there was any decrease/increase in speed and/or game stability.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 01:03 PM

I've seen conflicting reports; some say modest improvements, while others claim a small performance loss. In other words, I've not seen anything definitive.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
I've seen conflicting reports; some say modest improvements, while others claim a small performance loss. In other words, I've not seen anything definitive.

I have heard the same, safe to say it will not be the drastic improvement that I was hoping for

damn apple and thier non-caring attitude towards gamers

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 01:27 PM

No noticeable difference on a PB 1.5Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon.

But then again, with all the lag around Tarren Mill these days, it's gonna take a lot more than an OS update to make me notice any improvement.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by videian28
damn apple and thier non-caring attitude towards gamers
Technically speaking, Apple doesn't make WoW, and thus they are not capable of making it more or less efficient.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

trip
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Technically speaking, Apple doesn't make WoW, and thus they are not capable of making it more or less efficient.
sorry man, but I have to say I think that's rubiish. They control opengl system integration and thus performance to a degree. To quote the guys who ported doom somthing along the lines that opengl "having it's tendril so deeply intgrated into the OS makes it difficult to dedicate opengl processes to the game" even blizzard has stated a similar viewpoint regarding WoW. I think Apple can and always could have gained marketshare by uping the priority of gaming. My guess is that they believe consoles are for gaming. IMHO
( Last edited by trip; Apr 27, 2005 at 11:02 PM. )
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

OxygenWoW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 02:10 PM

All I have done is run around Stormwind so far, and the area with the lowest frame rate before Tiger was coming in the entrance where all the shops are. I generally averaged probably 10fps on my MiniMac which only has 512Ram and the 32Mb g-card. So when I logged in and ctrl-r'ed it to see 30fps I couldn't believe it, but that's what it said, and running about I never saw it go below 25fps.

The mini is my 2nd machine, other is the iMac G4 with 1Gb ram and 64Mb g-card... looking forward to trying it out on there.

btw. the mini has all it's options low, always has, but I'd say there was a huge improvement.

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 02:20 PM

I will go somewhere tonight on my system that gives 35ish FPS (with no players around) before upgrading, then logn in at the same spot and report back

hopefully this will give some idea

SW and IF are not good places to test, the amount of people varies to much every minute to get a good idea

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:22 PM

So is it safe to install Tiger today? I've got a Molten Core raid going on tonight and am a bit scared to risk it.

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
So is it safe to install Tiger today? I've got a Molten Core raid going on tonight and am a bit scared to risk it.

my question is how long does the spotlight indexing take? and can I stop it from happening and restart it later? (like after I am done playing wow for the night?)

=)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 07:50 PM

Spotlight indexing on my 80GB PowerBook took about 30 minutes. I didn't see any obvious way to shut it off, though.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

v.noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 07:19 PM

Could kill the process in activity monitor. I did a fresh install, and didn't see the indexing happen at all, it was that quick (1.5GHz G4). WoW runs pretty much the same for me as it did on Panther.

kristofor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 08:02 PM

Full Screen Glow seems to be the one deciding factor in decreased performance under Tiger. I used it occasionally under Panther, but it's pretty much completely unusable for me under Tiger now. This is with a dual 2 ghz G5/9600 Pro setup. Other than that, performance seems on par if not slightly better with Tiger.

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 03:09 AM

Will pick up my copy today (EU) and install over the weekend. Still hoping to see a modest improvement overall but I don't expect it to fix the lag in Hillsbrad ... PvP server ... endless warzone ... it just never stops
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

devmage
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 10:36 AM

I have a Dual 2Ghz G5 system with a GF6800. The only real performance issues I've had is when I come into an area like IF around the AH and need to load 100s of textures I stutter a sec while it hits the HD for all of it. Haven't done much testing with tiger yet, only installed it yesterday.

I had a theory that if I ran WoW partially or completely from a RAM Disk I would have the ultimate performance. Anyone ever tried this? I've tested it minorly but only have 1.5GB of RAM at the moment and didn't have enough to get enough of the WoW data folder in RAM to make a difference I think.

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by devmage
I have a Dual 2Ghz G5 system with a GF6800. The only real performance issues I've had is when I come into an area like IF around the AH and need to load 100s of textures I stutter a sec while it hits the HD for all of it. Haven't done much testing with tiger yet, only installed it yesterday.

I had a theory that if I ran WoW partially or completely from a RAM Disk I would have the ultimate performance. Anyone ever tried this? I've tested it minorly but only have 1.5GB of RAM at the moment and didn't have enough to get enough of the WoW data folder in RAM to make a difference I think.
I've been wanting to try that same test since I started playing WoW. I just need the cash for another 5-6 GB of RAM to do it. Or maybe start up some site dedicated to benchmarks and ask vendors to donate/lend out hardware so I can do tests.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 12:16 PM

Plays exactly the same as before for me.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 03:14 PM

I got a 10-15fps boost when I'm out in the country. A nice boost when in lagforge or other heavily populated areas.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Forum Links
Forum Rules