Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Virtual PC

Virtual PC
b33faroni
Oct 2, 2005, 07:25 PM

I heard that there is some problems with Virtual PC with OS X Tiger. I just got VPC 7.0.1 for my pb with tiger and installed XP Pro. It works fine but is slow as my grandmother.. I have a cd for windows 95 (the auctual cd) and a windows 98 cd (burned) but when I try to install either on VPC it does not reconize the cds as install cds and it asks what file I want when I try to capture the cd image. Anyone have the same problem or could tell me which file to select to capture the cd with, I just thought it was strange because I installed XP Pro off of a burned cd that I made when the cd looked like it went through a bed of nails. Any suggestions or should I try to download the newest patch/update? Thanks
( Last edited by b33faroni; Oct 2, 2005 at 07:56 PM. )

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 08:19 PM

Virtual PC 7 only supports WinXP Home, WinXP Pro, and Win 2000. Win 98, ME, 95 are not supported in Virutal PC 7.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

andre1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by b33faroni
I heard that there is some problems with Virtual PC with OS X Tiger. I just got VPC 7.0.1 for my pb with tiger and installed XP Pro. It works fine but is slow as my grandmother.
Surprisingly, in my case Tiger loads XP Pro (with Virtual PC) in about 50 seconds, which is great given that with Panther 10.3.9 it was taking almost 4 minutes! I have a 12'' PB, 1.5GHz.

b33faroni  (op)
Oct 2, 2005, 08:35 PM

That will do it! Heh thanks, its pretty dumb since 95 and 98 are chioces when you click set up a new operating system. XP loads up real fast for me in tiger but just running the main thing I use VPC for (college history textbook) can be a real pain with its pictures and all, was hoping I coudl install a lower requirement OS to run it faster with.. will have to see if my school has any extra 2k licenses.

SQLDba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 09:02 PM

XP can work for you - the most important thing is to make sure you have turned off all the graphics "extras" - go into system from control panel and set it for maximum performance. This will make a big difference in performance. Makes it look like you are running Win 2000. If you have a green start button and blue task bar, you don't have it turn down as low as it could be.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2005, 07:52 PM

Well, I don't want to be mean, but that's all you can expect with a product from windows! By the way, I had the same exact problem. After looking at forums and guides for 2 weeks, I just gave up and returned VPC.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Well, I don't want to be mean, but that's all you can expect with a product from windows! By the way, I had the same exact problem. After looking at forums and guides for 2 weeks, I just gave up and returned VPC.
Well.. VPC is allowing you to run PC apps if needed on a Mac.
I don't expect it to be blazing fast as if it was normally on Powerbook.
I do expect a little lag... maybe you guys should try it on a DP 2.5Ghz Powermac
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 10:43 AM

I run Win98 with VPC 7.02 and perhaps it works because it's converted from VPC 4? Win2K is said by most people to be the one to go with.

Regardless, I wouldn't even call it dog-slow, more like snail-slow.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 05:00 AM

I had some trouble with VPC7 capturing Windows 98 SE CD as well, although it worked fine with earlier VPC versions.

I worked around that by "installing/upgrading" an old MS DOS VPC image. Started MS DOS, esetup and it worked fine from there. The whole thing is super slow, but enough for me to run GMAT software.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by andre1970
Surprisingly, in my case Tiger loads XP Pro (with Virtual PC) in about 50 seconds, which is great given that with Panther 10.3.9 it was taking almost 4 minutes! I have a 12'' PB, 1.5GHz.
My work laptop takes 10 minutes to finish booting up. I have to go for a coffee if I need to reboot. Tiger on the other hand is mildly quick. VPC is somewhat quick too, but I typically save the state and not shut it down. My work laptop is so slow because my company throws a lot of services/start up items. Big brother likes to keep track of if seat warmers in section 7g

Mike

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ericssonboi
Well.. VPC is allowing you to run PC apps if needed on a Mac.
I don't expect it to be blazing fast as if it was normally on Powerbook.
I do expect a little lag... maybe you guys should try it on a DP 2.5Ghz Powermac
Well, you see, if I had to use windows, it would be either, 3.1, 98 or 2k, and when I saw that they came out with a VPC with Windows 2k, I went out immediatly and bought it. But know exactly what you mean by lag, but this, this was, horrible. I'm talking about a 10 second wait for the start menu to appear after you click it. and this is when I was plugged in, and when I had no other Windows or Mac apps opened.

mduser63
Oct 9, 2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Well, you see, if I had to use windows, it would be either, 3.1, 98 or 2k, and when I saw that they came out with a VPC with Windows 2k, I went out immediatly and bought it. But know exactly what you mean by lag, but this, this was, horrible. I'm talking about a 10 second wait for the start menu to appear after you click it. and this is when I was plugged in, and when I had no other Windows or Mac apps opened.
What Mac were you using? I use VPC 7 with Windows 2000 on the PowerBook in my sig, and I really can't complain about VPC's performance. I don't do anything terribly processor intensive, but for what I need it for (Orcad PSPICE) it works fine. I only use it plugged in (CPU set to highest). I always see people complaining about how slow VPC is, but I haven't experienced it. Sure it's not lightning quick, but in general it's perfectly useable.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduser63
What Mac were you using? I use VPC 7 with Windows 2000 on the PowerBook in my sig, and I really can't complain about VPC's performance. I don't do anything terribly processor intensive, but for what I need it for (Orcad PSPICE) it works fine. I only use it plugged in (CPU set to highest). I always see people complaining about how slow VPC is, but I haven't experienced it. Sure it's not lightning quick, but in general it's perfectly useable.

Ditto to that, I use VPC7 with Win2000 on my 17" Powerbook and I use it on my 2.3Ghz PowerMac. It runs great, it's not slow to me, on my G5 it runs on par with our IBM's at work. I only use it for insurance software since I sell insurance and viewing certain web pages that only use MS internet explorer which is only a couple. People on this forum are complaining too much about VPC7's performance as they are expecting P4 speed and they want it to play games.

Most people should only need to use VPC just to run very basic software not found on Mac. If they need more than basic then get a physical PC otherwise they are defeating the purpose of owning a Mac.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 11:32 PM

Virtual PC will not emulate more than very low-end 2D anyway, so it's useless for games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules