Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nokia 6600 on OS X

Nokia 6600 on OS X
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 07:15 AM

I got a Nokia 6600 for Xmas and so far have had absolutely no luck with getting the damn photos/videos of it. iSync does not support it yet and I don't have a Bluetooth adapter anyways. Sticking the SD memory card that comes with it into my card reader did not produce any result ... . Does anyone have this phone and were you able to download photos from it?
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 11:02 AM

I don't have the phone but this review at O'Grady's claims that it can sync with a Mac.

Where did you buy it? How much did you pay? Who is your provider and do you like the phone?

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 12:59 PM

My first short review is here >> http://www.w-a-s-a-b-i.com/archives/000136.html

I've had it for two days now. Overall it is a nice handset with a resonale camera (considering its a phone). I like the OS and the way it works (still on the slow side, but faster the 7640). The Contacts and Calendar are very well done. Having a MMC card is nice (can be boosted to 512Mb, Nokia recommends 128Mb), I just wish I could get it to mount on OS X desktop. My biggest complaint so far is the size and key layout. Perhaps I am just not used to it, but the phone feels akward (coming from Nokia 8610) to hold and type on. Small "Green" button and it poor location makes it a pain to pick up a call sometimes. It is also bigger and heavier then what I am used to.
There are also a few interface quirks that I have not found a way around, yet. For example, when composing a SMS I goto the "To:" field to enter a person etc. Despite the rather sophisticated contacts management system (where you can set defaults etc) it would not let me pick a mobile number that was not set as default, small but annoying "feature".
I like the phone, it just may take me a few weeks to get used to the way it does things.

I checked Apple's BT headset compatability page and Nokia Series 60 and N-Gage (6600 in "drag") are listed, but I wanted a confirmed report from fellow Mac users.

Also I do not have a BT adapter (TiBook with no built-in BT). D-Link adapters are not sold here (Spain and you can't even order them through Amazon.co.uk) and everything I looked at on the street is PC only Perhaps, someone knows if any of the BT adapters at FNAC work on Mac?
My Blog & Photos

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the review. But how can the phone show up on your desktop if you have no bluetooth on the computer?

A way to get images from the phone to the computer would be to email the images to your email address then download to the computer.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 12:13 PM

I just got a 6600 the other day.. Operating system seems very quirky in places, but it gets the job done, eventually.
Anyway, One way or another, you really need to get yourself a bluetooth dongle for your mac. Once you have this, sending files back & forth between mac & phone really could not be easier. No need for iSync just to do this. Although I do hope Apple will support this phone properly soon.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 02:22 PM

Any bluetooth adapter will work - it doesn't have to be the D-Link one.

There is a hacked conduit for the 6600 for iSync - google for "6600 and iSync" - however - N.B. it is a hack - it would be best to wait for a revision to iSync - Which won't take long if iSync's previous revisions are anything to go by.

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 07:53 AM

But how can the phone show up on your desktop if you have no bluetooth on the computer?
I was talking about the MMC card that comes with the phone. I was expecting it to mount on my desktop like CF cards, Sony MemorySticks, SD cards etc. It didn't and still doesn't.

Anyways, I got a USB BT adapter and will try OS X BT file exchange later today that should work without the hack.

I found the hack for iSync, which is basically changing all 3560 entries to 6600 (these phoes are nearly identical). That seems to do the trick in most cases, however there were reports of people getting BT errors messages when syncing, Calendar not syncing and having to reset the phone. I may try it, perhaps, I will wait for Apple to update iSync though since these features are not essential to me.

The phone is slowly growing on me.
My Blog & Photos

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 09:30 AM

Have a look at http://www.my-symbian.com for software to run on the phone.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
I was talking about the MMC card that comes with the phone. I was expecting it to mount on my desktop like CF cards, Sony MemorySticks, SD cards etc. It didn't and still doesn't.
I've found that BT File Exchange works fine on the Mac with my 3650, as long as you initiate the exchange from the "sending" side. If I'm sending a file to my Mac, I need to send it from my phone and not browse the phone's contents from my Mac. It's kind of a weird setup, but not too difficult to work around.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 08:47 PM

I've found that BlueTooth file exchange works perfectly well. So I am not going to risk screwing anything up with that iSync hack/patch just yet. I'll either live with it as it is, or wait for Apple to do their thang.
Nice phone though

PS, Isnt the Opera browser supposed to be standard on these phones? It was not included on mine. So I downloaded it, but only get a 14 day trial unless I stump up the readies..

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 10:33 AM

While I am here.. One of the coolest things I downloaded for this phone, was this Agile Messenger. It is ICQ, AIM, Yahoo and MSN messengers, all in one app. And so far, seems to work perfectly well.
It's no iChat AV of course. But it is free..

swhog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 07:35 PM

Don't know if this helps, I am using a card reader for the MMC, it mounts on my desktop and I have access to the folders. There are some settings as to where you want to store the photos you take. So far I have had no problems. Bluetooth only puts files in as SMS messages which can not be moved around as per Nokia tech support. Using 10.4.4.

Apparently if you want a new MMC make sure it is 1.8 volt or "dual voltage" same price as others I found a 1 GB for 77$$

Good luck. sw

Originally Posted by Grrr
I've found that BlueTooth file exchange works perfectly well. So I am not going to risk screwing anything up with that iSync hack/patch just yet. I'll either live with it as it is, or wait for Apple to do their thang.
Nice phone though

PS, Isnt the Opera browser supposed to be standard on these phones? It was not included on mine. So I downloaded it, but only get a 14 day trial unless I stump up the readies..

swhog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 07:36 PM

Don't know if this helps, I am using a card reader for the MMC, it mounts on my desktop and I have access to the folders. There are some settings as to where you want to store the photos you take. So far I have had no problems. Bluetooth only puts files in as SMS messages which can not be moved around as per Nokia tech support. Using 10.4.4.

Apparently if you want a new MMC make sure it is 1.8 volt or "dual voltage" same price as others I found a 1 GB for 77$$

Good luck. sw

Originally Posted by Grrr
Nice phone though

nationwide
Mar 19, 2006, 05:34 PM

you can check apple's website in the osx downloads section. they have programs for nokia phones, one called onsync which has drivers for nokia phones that can connect thru usb.
Originally Posted by nsxpower
My first short review is here >> http://www.w-a-s-a-b-i.com/archives/000136.html

I've had it for two days now. Overall it is a nice handset with a resonale camera (considering its a phone). I like the OS and the way it works (still on the slow side, but faster the 7640). The Contacts and Calendar are very well done. Having a MMC card is nice (can be boosted to 512Mb, Nokia recommends 128Mb), I just wish I could get it to mount on OS X desktop. My biggest complaint so far is the size and key layout. Perhaps I am just not used to it, but the phone feels akward (coming from Nokia 8610) to hold and type on. Small "Green" button and it poor location makes it a pain to pick up a call sometimes. It is also bigger and heavier then what I am used to.
There are also a few interface quirks that I have not found a way around, yet. For example, when composing a SMS I goto the "To:" field to enter a person etc. Despite the rather sophisticated contacts management system (where you can set defaults etc) it would not let me pick a mobile number that was not set as default, small but annoying "feature".
I like the phone, it just may take me a few weeks to get used to the way it does things.

I checked Apple's BT headset compatability page and Nokia Series 60 and N-Gage (6600 in "drag") are listed, but I wanted a confirmed report from fellow Mac users.

Also I do not have a BT adapter (TiBook with no built-in BT). D-Link adapters are not sold here (Spain and you can't even order them through Amazon.co.uk) and everything I looked at on the street is PC only Perhaps, someone knows if any of the BT adapters at FNAC work on Mac?

Forum Links
Forum Rules