Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T Family plan

AT&T Family plan
dennett
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2008, 10:13 PM

I'm going to buy my wife an iPhone after MacWorld on 1/5, just to make sure there isn't any major changes, not to mention that our Verizon contract is up on 1/9. I had planned on buying myself one but due to financial considerations I don't think we really NEED two iPhones. My question is this, can we purchase 1 iPhone and a regular cell and use a family plan that's cheaper than $129? If so what would that plan cost and include?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dennett View Post
I'm going to buy my wife an iPhone after MacWorld on 1/5, just to make sure there isn't any major changes, not to mention that our Verizon contract is up on 1/9. I had planned on buying myself one but due to financial considerations I don't think we really NEED two iPhones. My question is this, can we purchase 1 iPhone and a regular cell and use a family plan that's cheaper than $129? If so what would that plan cost and include?
Take this with a grain of salt because I too am interested in this question and waiting feedback.

The other day I went into a store and priced a 1400 minute family plan w/ 200 texts per month, 2 iPhones, and 2 of those AT&T matrix phones for the kids and they want $207/month. This is a friggin' car payment even with the 17% discount given by my employer. (negated by the 22% cell phone tax in my State) Granted, I realize $60/month of this is for the obligatory data plans for the iPhones, but I wouldn't be using AT&T if I didn't want iPhones for my wife and I.

Any way of maximizing savings? Any ideas I've not thought of. Ways of manipulating separate plans etc...? (with 2 iPhones and 2 texting phones for the kids. )
ebuddy

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 10:24 AM

You can always offset your costs a little by getting rid of your landline.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
You can always offset your costs a little by getting rid of your landline.
Good point. This has been the caveat all along and why I've procrastinated on cell service 'til now. I work for a communications firm and my land line is essentially free. I'm going to back up to the AT&T store to see if I can whittle this cost down a bit.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2008, 06:12 PM

I pulled the trigger today. I got the danged thing in my hand and I couldn't let her take it from me. I purchased an iPhone for myself and my wife and I got two Samsung Propels for the kids because they didn't have the Matrix(s) in stock.

It's going to be about $207/month, but no deposit, no activation fees, and the Propel was buy-one-get one.
ebuddy

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 11:38 PM

If the kids are old enough to work part time, you should make them chip in for the phones. Pay for their text plans or something.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by dennett View Post
My question is this, can we purchase 1 iPhone and a regular cell and use a family plan that's cheaper than $129? If so what would that plan cost and include?
Absolutely.

The $129/mo breaks down like this:

$69 for first two lines,
$30 for first iPhone data plan,
$30 for second iPhone data plan.

If you have just one iPhone, it'll be $99/mo because you obviously won't get the data plan for the other phone.

That plan includes 700mins (IIRC), unlimited mobile-to-mobile and nights/weekends, and unlimited internet on the iPhone, but does not include any text messaging -- you pay 20¢ per message in and out. You can either add an individual text plan to each line (sensible ONLY for the lowest 200 msgs/mo plan), or add unlimited text to the entire family plan for $30.

wfsdad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2008, 03:44 PM

We went with the 550 minute plan. I do not have an iphone and my wife has the 3G.

Basic plan $50
Additional phone $10
iPhone 3G $30
plus taxes & fees
minus corporate discount

About $87/month.

No text messaging included - each is 20c - We just don't use text messaging

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2008, 05:10 PM

I have a 1400 minute family plan for me and the wife - she has a first gen iPhone, and I have a 3G iphone. We share unlimited texting. Total bill each month is $198 after taxes and everything.

Yes, that is a lot of money, we dont spend money on another home line, and we both use the internet and texting quite a bit on the phone. I dont have a desk at work, so I use the internet all the time on the go - the way I look at it, $30 data for me, $20 data for her, $30 text plan, and at least $20 in taxes - half our bill isnt even for phone calls!!! CRAZY!!

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Forum Links
Forum Rules