Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good time to go for a TiBook?

Good time to go for a TiBook?
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2003, 01:17 PM

My iBook is now RIP in the recycling bin now, missing RAM, hardrive and a few other things. So I am in the market for a new laptop. I am considering the 15.2" TiBook 1Ghz blah blah blah!

I am not sure about the timing though (I will go out a get it, cuz I need a machine to work on, but some reassurance would be nice). The new AlBooks are having quite a few issues while most of TiBook problems got ironed out in between the little updates. And I can't afford to wait for updated 15.2"/.4" ... the new 17" are delayed big time and same thing is bound to happen to the new AlBook 15.2"/.4" whenever it comes out ... The G4 1Ghz+ will remain in the Apple's portables for some time to come, since there isn't a new laptop processor on the horison for another year or so. The only upgrades we are going to see will be to bus speed (167Mhz+ across the line), video cards etc. CPU may get a MHZ bump in a little while, but nothing to dramatic. So I am pretty sure that the machine will last and will not be out-upgraded and become obsolete in 6 months (you never know though )

Pls contribute your 2 cents ... hehe, maybe I'll be able to put them towards the purchase I guess I am just looking for some reassurance, plus some speculation on the future of the Apple PowerBook line

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 02:03 PM

I suggest you wait for the G5, an once that comes out, wait for the upgrades to that, then stick around and see if a G6 is coming...
Seriously....if you need a notebook, buy it now. Whatever you buy will always have something newer and better overshadowing it just around the corner.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
I am considering the 15.2" TiBook 1Ghz blah blah blah! ... the new 17" are delayed big time and same thing is bound to happen to the new AlBook 15.2"/.4" whenever it comes out ...
That's actually a smart way to justify a TiBook purchase right now.

If you need it now, I hope you go for it. It's a great Mac.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 02:20 PM

I'd say go for it.

I'm a proud owner of a PB 667 (Revision C) and I haven't run into any problems whatsoever. No paint chip, no nothing.

*knocks on wood*

I'm thinking the Ti, right now, along with the current generation iBooks, is likely to have the least amount of flaws in an Apple design.

My new ground rule, really, is to not buy until revision B or C of anything.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2003, 02:39 PM

The 1GHz TiBook is a superb computer. If it were a choice between the current 15 and the 17, I'd still go for the 15" TiBook. Get one... you will not be disappointed.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 02:54 PM

Wait until tommorrow (you never know...) and if nothing comes out, just get a Tibook. It's overall a terrific machine. Plus you answered yourself to your question: If you canno't wait, the best mac laptop available is still the 1ghz Tibook
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

paterss
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 03:00 PM

I have the same dilemma, but without the time restriction.

But when you are looking you start thinking...lets just do it...

I am more worried about buying the last version of the Ti book because some of the basic techno is outdated.

eg. Airport Extreme, DDR memory, 800 Firewire, ATA100 : did I miss anything else ??
(maybe larger HD too ??) all on the new Alu books.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Helvetica Neue
Feb 24, 2003, 06:17 PM

The ti is a fantastic machine, regardless of its possible documented shortcomings (paint, hinges, airport range).

The TiBook is a design classic, at the top of its range and sophistication. At the current price point, it's an amazing offer to buy a classic machine (which wil also run os 9;-) that will stand you in good stead for 2-3 years to come..

It's my first portable, and I'll never go back!
Always on the run...

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 06:35 PM

I just picked up a refurb PowerBook G4 667 DVI (the before-mentioned "Rev C") direct from Apple (it's in transit now). The price was far too enticing and I was looking for more oomph that my iBook/500 has without blowing too much money.

I'm weary about the paint and hinge issues but my friend's coworker has had no problems with his original PB G4/500.

Voch

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2003, 06:54 PM

You just never know which unit is going to exhibit some of the Ti's better known defects. One guy here posts that his 667 Rev. C is perfect, meanwhile mine has had paint and case flex problems.

I've heard some people claim that the paint problems went away with the intro of the 800 and 1GHz models, but I have no proof of that.

Originally posted by Voch:
I just picked up a refurb PowerBook G4 667 DVI (the before-mentioned "Rev C") direct from Apple (it's in transit now). The price was far too enticing and I was looking for more oomph that my iBook/500 has without blowing too much money.

I'm weary about the paint and hinge issues but my friend's coworker has had no problems with his original PB G4/500.

Voch
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 05:07 AM

Well the temptation was too much and the wallet was too heavy, so I lightened the load And as of yesterday evening I am a proud owner of the 1Ghz TiBook

GigaTi Photos that I snapped before opening the box. Don't mind the Corolla pix and booklet, just needed to show someone in the US that there is such a thing as Corolla Hatch

I did not have the time to really play with it last night, but I ran some of my Photoshop actions, batch conversions etc. WOW! it is fast!

The only things that I will be bitching on about later are probably lack of FW800, but I am yet to find a use for it since it will not make my external pocket drives any faster and DV import will not be improved either due to slowness of the DV tape ... but I am sure there are implications for FW networking ... 167Mhz bus, just because it is 34Mhz faster then the one in my TiBook and bluetooth, even though I do not have one of the new Ericsson phones and never will (since I do not like them in general and prefer Nokia, which is not supported by Apple's iSync since they use a different SyncML variation blah blah blah!). Otherwise I am super happy and have a smile from one ear to the other, the kind of smile when everyone can see just how much coffee you consume in the morning
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Helvetica Neue
Feb 25, 2003, 08:12 AM

Congrats!

I guess that will mean enjoying the Catalan sun even more with a TiBook;-)
Always on the run...

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 08:17 AM

Congrats!

I guess that will mean enjoying the Catalan sun even more with a TiBook
I would, if there was sun. Been raining cats and dogs, overcast big time and the clouds are so low ... the air is misty and moist ... argg, they are promising this weather for a couple more days, but its looking good after that. Good thing I have the TiBook to keep me warm
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 11:07 PM

Congratulations !!!

I hope to be getting my oneGHz TiBook the end of this month

Forum Links
Forum Rules