Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > "Jumpy" optical mice

"Jumpy" optical mice
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 07:48 AM

I have been experiencing this problem where my optical mice become "jumpy" on screen. It is very irritating and makes external mice (I have a Ti 1Ghz).
The problem is persistent. After about 2-3 weeks of use that started happening to Logitech MouseMan Optical, MS Optical and Apple Pro ...

If it was the surface that was the problem would have exibited itself right away and not after a certain period of time.

System: Ti + 10.2.4 + Apple Pro Mouse
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Eciton
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 09:23 AM

I've had that with my Logitech optical mouse too. Only started happening after a few months but is desperately annoying. I tend to smack it down on the table for a temporary solution, and it has the benefit of taking out my rage

Like yours, my jittery-mouse syndrome happens on any surface.

I think we can eliminate operating system as the fault here, though - I'm running Windows 2000 Pro.

Anyone have an insight?

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 09:42 AM

Well I have a "jittery" Logitech mouse in Win2K Pro as well. I can see the mouse pointer oscilate a little when the mouse itself is left alone. Annoying, but not nearly as big a problem as "jumpy" mouse.

"Jumpy" mouse is worse cuz it significantly jumps from its supposed position. Hitting the mouse has not helpe at all either.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 05:03 PM

I cured my jumpy optical mouse, when I removed a small hair from the little LED on the bottom.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Well I have a "jittery" Logitech mouse in Win2K Pro as well. I can see the mouse pointer oscilate a little when the mouse itself is left alone. Annoying, but not nearly as big a problem as "jumpy" mouse.

"Jumpy" mouse is worse cuz it significantly jumps from its supposed position. Hitting the mouse has not helpe at all either.
Oh mine does the little jitter most of the time, but I also experience movement significant enough to make me miss the onscreen button I was aiming for - a couple of times I've chosen to not save changes to a closing document due to this little quirk :-/

I've just given my sensor a little polish with a lens cleaner, so we'll see if that helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules