Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie file too big (DV capture)

iMovie file too big (DV capture)
buzzedchiguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2004, 08:49 PM

I recently purchased a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge with the intention of converting the movies on my VHS to DVD's. I was able to import the DV just fine into iMovie. It came out to about 2.5 hours, and the size is huge, about 20GB. When I click on the iDVD icon in iMovie, it won't create a new DVD project because the source file exceeds the capacity of a standard blank DVD.

How do people do what I'm trying to do?

In iMovie I also tried exporting my movie as a Quicktime movie, at 320x240 res, but that file came out to 12GB, and it doesn't even look good blown up.

I just want something that will play automatically in any home DVD player, at full-screen and looks decent. What should I do?

Thanks!
-Chris
Blue Dalmation iMac SE 600MHz
17" PB 1GHz
Graphite iBook SE 466MHz
Twentieth Anniversary Mac
5GB iPod

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 02:35 AM

iDVD 4 offers just 2h maximum length of a dvd - it makes no difference, how big your files are, it has to do with compression...-

and: a dvd-r just fits 4.4Gigs, a commercial dvd is double layered, so it offers about 9Gb of space...

so, in your case: if you're rich ;-), you could give dvd pro a try, the compression settings are much more elabortated, so maybe your 2,5h can be "crunched" to fit on a dvd-r.

plan B: make two disks.
split your iMovie project into two parts, I + II, make two dvds...- :-)

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by k_munic:
iDVD 4 offers just 2h maximum length of a dvd - it makes no difference, how big your files are, it has to do with compression...-

and: a dvd-r just fits 4.4Gigs, a commercial dvd is double layered, so it offers about 9Gb of space...

so, in your case: if you're rich ;-), you could give dvd pro a try, the compression settings are much more elabortated, so maybe your 2,5h can be "crunched" to fit on a dvd-r.

plan B: make two disks.
split your iMovie project into two parts, I + II, make two dvds...- :-)
You wouldn't be able to use iDVD, but there are Dual Layer recorders now and Toast was recently updated to support them. It's a solution that involves money, but pretty much your only one. Bringing the quality any lower than that on a single layer disc is going to give you visually poor results. If you don't care that much about quality, you could burn VCD MPEGs to a DVD, but again, that looks pretty bad.

Check http://www.videohelp.com/ for instructions on how to do all of these things.
-Grover
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

buzzedchiguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the ideas, guys. No, I won't be upgrading hardware to burn dual-layed DVD's. I'll try splitting my movie into less-than-2-hour parts, so that iDVD can use them.

Did you say that DVD Studio Pro might take movies greater than 2 hours? I do indeed have access to that program.

I have one more question. In iMovie, I can choose to export my movie in MPEG-4 format. What is this used for? How is it different than Quicktime movie format or AVI?

Thanks.
-chris
Blue Dalmation iMac SE 600MHz
17" PB 1GHz
Graphite iBook SE 466MHz
Twentieth Anniversary Mac
5GB iPod

george68
Banned
Aug 3, 2004, 10:44 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of vacation's all edited but they're over 2 hours long. Dammit.

- Rob

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by buzzedchiguy:
Thanks for the ideas, guys. No, I won't be upgrading hardware to burn dual-layed DVD's. I'll try splitting my movie into less-than-2-hour parts, so that iDVD can use them.

Did you say that DVD Studio Pro might take movies greater than 2 hours? I do indeed have access to that program.

I have one more question. In iMovie, I can choose to export my movie in MPEG-4 format. What is this used for? How is it different than Quicktime movie format or AVI?

Thanks.
-chris
q1) yes DVD Studio pro can handle videos larger than 2h, but as mentioned in the post above, the compression to fit 2,5h on a 4,4,Gb dvd-r makes the quality.... worse ;-)

q2) mpeg4 is a very mighty compression, which means it crunches video into very small files; the keynote streams of Apple are done in mpeg4 - I watch His Steveness fullscreen via a copper telephone line ;-))
"Quicktime" is often misunderstood as a file format - qt is just a "container"; inside you can find all types of files , mpg1/2/3, motion jpeg, mpeg4 or .avi. all thesee are different methods to compress video (and audio); avi is a standard in the Windows world, such as .wma or .wmv.
files with a .mov at the end need a Quicktime Player which is also available as free download for Windows;
I personally prefer mpeg4, good quality even with low bandwidth - but you earn lots of questions from Windows users ("can't open file!"), because they don't have QT installed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules