Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes was... iTunes is...

iTunes was... iTunes is...
FastAMX79
Apr 21, 2006, 08:57 PM

So, i've been here forever and never really post much. But when i was messing around i came across this, a review of iTunes 1.0 (i rememeber the day it came out because i was downloading it).

So here is a clip of the conclusion about itunes taken from www.atpm.com/7.02/itunes.shtml

Just want to say... "You've come a long way.... Baby!!!"

"With 275,000 downloads in the first week alone, iTunes is poised for success. It will soon come with every new Mac that leaves Apple’s factory walls. I would have thought that this would be a death blow for the other MP3 programs. Yet the weeks after iTunes’ release witnessed the release of Unsanity Echo, yet another spiffy new MP3 player for the Mac with an amazing feature set for $19.79 (although the program operates in unlimited trial forever). And Subband released their AMP Radio as MacAMP 2.0, with many new functions, and a powerful broadcasting feature. Its price tag is $15. We’ll have to see how these programs do.

iTunes is a great program; I now use it almost exclusively. It works with my CDs, my MP3s, and my MP3 players, and soon, when I get my new Mac, I’ll also be able to burn music CDs with little effort. Sure, it has no skins, no broadcasting, no Karaoke, and no alarm clock. But these are features I never really used anyway. For me, it’s close to perfect.

But it’s not for everyone. For many, the limited feature set compared to SoundJam is a regression. It is slow, maybe too slow for some. Not everyone will like the interface. There are no visuals and no support for other CD-R drives yet. It requires (unless you hack it) Mac OS 9. I decided to give it “just” a Very Nice because I think these problems could have been addressed, and they make it less than perfect for many users. Also, the bar has been raised by Audion 2, SoundJam MP Pro, and many of the newer programs. It isn’t enough to put a subset of the functionality into a smarter interface. There will be a market (albeit smaller) for all the other programs. But iTunes 1.0 will win the hearts of many people new to digital music, and has laid a wonderful foundation for the next version."

mindwaves
Apr 22, 2006, 03:11 AM

Pretty interesting. Thanks for the post, but you need to post more often! iTunes has certainly come a long way.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2006, 03:54 AM

Cool link, than you very much.

Also found there a review of my very first cd burner, a cool QPS device.

http://www.atpm.com/7.02/que-fire.shtml

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by FastAMX79
So, i've been here forever and never really post much. But when i was messing around i came across this, a review of iTunes 1.0 (i rememeber the day it came out because i was downloading it).

So here is a clip of the conclusion about itunes taken from www.atpm.com/7.02/itunes.shtml

Just want to say... "You've come a long way.... Baby!!!"
That's very cool.

Although I have to say: We haven't really come *that* far.

Apple nailed 90% of what makes iTunes great right there in that first release.

And that includes the basic simplicity (which today, of course, is only skin-deep if you want to get into playlist management, etc.)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Apple nailed 90% of what makes iTunes great right there in that first release.
You mean the makers of SoundJam nailed it in their releases leading up to iTunes 1.0

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2006, 02:30 PM

Is there anywhere I can still download that OS X Soundjam beta?

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2006, 02:21 AM

I remember running iTunes 1.0 hacked on OS 8.6

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 06:50 AM

So, what happened to the other players? Any one here still using something else than iTunes?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2006, 11:58 AM

Well, as far as full-featured MP3 players, the Mac has really only had three: SoundJam, Audion, and iTunes. iTunes is free, the other two were not. (Audion became free a while after iTunes was released, but couldn't overcome iTunes' being preinstalled on all new Macs.)

tooki

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Well, as far as full-featured MP3 players, the Mac has really only had three: SoundJam, Audion, and iTunes. iTunes is free, the other two were not. (Audion became free a while after iTunes was released, but couldn't overcome iTunes' being preinstalled on all new Macs.)

tooki
One little thing... C&G SoundJam is iTunes. Apple purchased it from them.

Audion was also cool, but once there was iTunes... Panic knew the end was near.

Ahhh... the old days.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 01:53 PM

Jowy
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 05:04 PM

Anyone remember the Jukebox skin you could get for SoundJam? I loved that thing back in the OS 9 days...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
One little thing... C&G SoundJam is iTunes. Apple purchased it from them.
Of course I know that (though C&G wasn't a developer, just a publisher -- the software was developed independently). But the fact is, across time, the three apps I mentioned were the main ones, and for a short while, SoundJam and iTunes existed simultaneously.

tooki

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 10:29 PM

I actually have the SoundJam X beta, and believe it or not, it still works in 10.4 provided you set the clock back to before the beta expiration date.

Can't play ITMS songs obviously, but the fact that a beta application that was designed for the OS X 10.0 beta still works is impressive (at least to me).
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules