Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Desperate for an answer

Desperate for an answer
boardsurfer
Jul 17, 2003, 12:56 PM

Hey guys. A friend of mine is really under the gun. She agreed to make a short film for a ceremony today at 3pm. She didnt realize when she began that Windows movie maker only exports to WMP file. She eventually needs it on a DVD, and has no burner for that. Anyhow, if she burns the WMP to disc and I put it in my iMac, is there any way to get it to a DVD? iDVD wont recognize it will it? Is there any way a mac can get a wmp file to dvd?

edit: I have iMovie, iDVD and FCE at my disposal.

THanks for your help!
( Last edited by boardsurfer; Jul 17, 2003 at 01:03 PM. )

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 01:14 PM

well, of any format you'd want it not to be, its WMP The only thing I can think of is to try to open it in ffmpeg, and convert it from wmp to mpeg-2. I'm not sure if that will work though. From there, you will need sizzle to burn the dvd. good luck....

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 01:22 PM

the Windows program TMPGenc can take a wmv and export mpeg. In a pinch, do all your editing in moviemakes, export wmp and then convert to mpeg with tmpenc. Then you can put it to VCD with the windows box - does it HAVE to be a DVD or does it have to be simply playable on a dvd player.? VCD may work then. If not, you can then burn it to CD and demux the mpeg stream on the mac with bbdemux, then you can use quicktime to export the video to DV format, then in Quicktime copy the audio and "add scaled" to the DV and save again. Then you're ready to use it (DV format) in iDVD or iMovie.

MS makes it hard to get something OUT of wmv. TMPGenc is the only way I know.

Even on the mac, you may not be able to view the wmv file due to codec incompatibility.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 02:19 PM

with ffmpeg you should be able to go to high-bitrate divx, then with Divx Doctor to mov, then to iDVD, which is more likely to work (and be in sync) than Sizzle. The problem is ffmpeg only barely supports the codec WMV2, and doesn't support WMV3, so if you can tell your friend to save the WMV file in the oldest possible codec (WMV1 or MP43).

In Windows EO-Video also decodes ASF/WMV.

also note that QT won't let you copy/edit mpeg video or audio. After demuxing the audio, change the name to *.mp2 and use MAD to convert

boardsurfer  (op)
Jul 17, 2003, 03:25 PM

holy crap. thanks guys.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 01:10 AM

So how did it end up?

Forum Links
Forum Rules