Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Office X - Where are the resources?

Office X - Where are the resources?
Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 08:09 PM

Does anybody happen to know where to find the resources for the Office apps? (Word, Entourage, PowerPoint, and Excel). I mean, they've gotta be somewhere, right?

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 12:57 AM

Check out the stuff in Microsoft Offix X/Office. Specifically the file named "Microsoft Office X".

The resources are stored in the resource fork, which ThemePark doesn't support (for no really good reason at this point). So you'll need to use ResEdit or Resourcererererer to open 'em.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 01:59 PM

If somebody comes up with a way for MS Office v.X apps (especially Entourage) not to look retarded with dark themes (SS Studio Pro, Brushed, et all), I will PAY YOU for it.

The cromulent look of Entourage is what keeps me in bright, white Aqua variations.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 02:49 PM

^---- And that is exactly why I wanted to mod them... why the hell couldn't M$ use transparency in Entourage instead of all that white stuff?!

smeger - Thanks, but, *poke poke *, do ya think ThemePark will ever have support for such resources? I simply have no clue how to work with all of that hexadecimal junk. (BTW, if anybody's interested, there's a new resource editor out, called ResKnife.)

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
^---- And that is exactly why I wanted to mod them... why the hell couldn't M$ use transparency in Entourage instead of all that white stuff?!

smeger - Thanks, but, *poke poke *, do ya think ThemePark will ever have support for such resources? I simply have no clue how to work with all of that hexadecimal junk. (BTW, if anybody's interested, there's a new resource editor out, called ResKnife.)
I actually coded support for resource-fork resource files about a year ago due to a request to read OS 9 Appearance Themes. I removed it because the format of the pxm# resource has changed since then and it caused problems with ThemePark.

I guess I can put it back in again.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 09:58 PM

That would be awesome!

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 11:34 PM

I'm working on this now - it's actually a bit trickier than I'd thought it would be. Microsoft is using some sort of funky format for their 'ppat' resources and I can't figure out what the hell they are.

It's probably the ppat format from 1994 or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules